Texas Fishing Forum

Catfish Noodle Design

Posted By: Jugline Willy

Catfish Noodle Design - 07/02/20 12:17 AM

Howdy y'all. New member on the Fishing Forum. I'm a newly retired Lockheed Martin electrical engineer (BSEE Texas A&M 1982) who loves to run jug lines for catfish. I've been playing around for the last few years on designing a different kind of catfish noodle that is really enjoyable to use. I think I've hit on something and wanted to share. I've put together a tutorial on my design and just posted it on a DIY website called Instructables. Not sure if the link is active yet or not but here it is... Noodle Design

Looking forward to talking catfishing with everyone.

Later!

Willy
Posted By: FishinTime

Re: Catfish Noodle Design - 07/02/20 03:09 AM

Welcome to the forum. That’s a good design, I like way the line is wound and not around the noodle. Good job with that.
Posted By: Flippin-Out

Re: Catfish Noodle Design - 07/02/20 03:36 AM

Very nice design!
Posted By: banker-always fishing

Re: Catfish Noodle Design - 07/02/20 03:36 AM

welcome To the TFF! thumb
Posted By: FishinGlenn

Re: Catfish Noodle Design - 07/02/20 09:59 AM

That is an interesting design. Where do you live and fish? Maybe we can have a friendly competition.

Re: Catfish Noodle Design - 07/02/20 02:37 PM

Competition? Oh my.... no that would kill it for me. I love this way of fishing because it's so laid back and relaxing. I enjoy sitting under the bimini, drinking a beer, and just hanging out.
Posted By: Tommar

Re: Catfish Noodle Design - 07/02/20 02:57 PM

Originally Posted by FishinGlenn
That is an interesting design. Where do you live and fish? Maybe we can go fishing sometime.

FIFY

Great design! I’m guessing you have to hold the spool tight with the noodle to wrap it up?

And welcome to the forum.
Posted By: 🍀El Gato Azul🍀

Re: Catfish Noodle Design - 07/02/20 03:27 PM

Welcome to the Forum Willy! I see you fish Lewisville Glenn. This time of year I’m a pleasure drifter and like to crack a few cold ones and relax under the t-top like Willy. I’ll have a friendly competition with ya as soon as my knee heels up though. 3 more weeks and I’ll be off crutches and back in the boat. I fish by rod and reel so it’ll have to be r&r vs jugs. texas

Re: Catfish Noodle Design - 07/02/20 04:43 PM

Originally Posted by Tommar
[quote=FishinGlenn]

Great design! I’m guessing you have to hold the spool tight with the noodle to wrap it up?

And welcome to the forum.

Thanks for the welcome. Yes, I hold the noodle in my left hand and keep the spool from moving using my index finger as I wrap the line on with my right hand.
Posted By: JimBridger

Re: Catfish Noodle Design - 07/02/20 06:37 PM

Pretty cool design, Thanks for sharing.
Posted By: FishinGlenn

Re: Catfish Noodle Design - 07/02/20 07:03 PM

Well, Willy, I just want to see how my noodle sticks perform vs. other designs. I don't know if it would be a fair challenge against your rods and reels Gato Azul. Maybe if I could have your son for a partner and the dog was your partner it would be fair.
Posted By: BrandoA

Re: Catfish Noodle Design - 07/02/20 07:27 PM

Now that is an awesome design!!!! Could you post a link to the spools?
Posted By: 🍀El Gato Azul🍀

Re: Catfish Noodle Design - 07/02/20 07:28 PM

You picked the wrong partner Glenn! That cowdog is a catfish sniffin son of a gun. All I gotta do is show up and he points me right to em...My son on the other hand is a wild ace and will mess with all your gear and put you on tilt amigo! You’d be lucky if you were able to deploy a single jug with him on board. frkazoid

Re: Catfish Noodle Design - 07/02/20 07:37 PM

Originally Posted by BrandoA
Now that is an awesome design!!!! Could you post a link to the spools?

Spools

Re: Catfish Noodle Design - 07/02/20 07:42 PM

Originally Posted by FishinGlenn
Well, Willy, I just want to see how my noodle sticks perform vs. other designs. I don't know if it would be a fair challenge against your rods and reels Gato Azul. Maybe if I could have your son for a partner and the dog was your partner it would be fair.

No worries brother. I doubt that one design is any better than another at catching fish. I've got a buddy of mine who thinks I'm nuts with all this gadgetry stuff. He just uses a big chunk of high density packing foam for his rig. Catches the heck out of the catfish on Tawakoni.

My whole deal was just trying to put together something that was really enjoyable to use.
Posted By: BrandoA

Re: Catfish Noodle Design - 07/02/20 07:46 PM

Thanks Willy
Posted By: stinkydog

Re: Catfish Noodle Design - 07/03/20 02:05 PM

I use reflective spray paint and reflective stickers placed on the bottom of my 1 gal. jugs. They are easy to spot if you run them up-wind. I usually fish at night on Lake Conroe.
Posted By: stinkydog

Re: Catfish Noodle Design - 07/03/20 02:13 PM

[Linked Image]
Posted By: pop r

Re: Catfish Noodle Design - 07/04/20 02:54 PM

Awesome job Willy. welcome
Posted By: Papa Stan

Re: Catfish Noodle Design - 07/04/20 08:19 PM

good jugs Willy & good to have you aboard.

Re: Catfish Noodle Design - 04/09/21 12:08 PM

I’ve seen some recent interest in jug line designs. Figured I’d bump my post as well. A little different take on a common design.

You know... I’m wondering how many jug line designs are posted on the forum. I may have to do some searches and see what’s out there. Might be nice to consolidate them all in one post.
Posted By: Catfish Tim

Re: Catfish Noodle Design - 04/09/21 12:38 PM

Welcome to the forum Willy! I know a guy back home who designed an injection molded end cap for 4" PVC that he used to make jugs. No pool noodles, just the PVC. Where he lives you can anchor jugs. He would use braided twine and a piece of a tire tube on one end and the Carolina rig on the other. The tube would go over a limb in the flooded timber. The things worked great. Don't think they would be legal here in Texas. Anyway. Keep building better mouse traps!
Posted By: CCBIRDDOGMAN

Re: Catfish Noodle Design - 04/15/21 08:31 PM

thumb
Posted By: banker-always fishing

Re: Catfish Noodle Design - 04/16/21 02:47 AM

Awesome post and nicely done. thumb
© 2024 Texas Fishing Forum