Texas Fishing Forum

Apple corn chum, with brown sugar, beer, anise and vegi oil?

Posted By: Huntxtrm

Apple corn chum, with brown sugar, beer, anise and vegi oil? - 06/01/20 03:15 PM

Good morning fishin buddies! I have a question. Im sure you all have good answers. I have mixed up a bucket of chum for the weekend at Whitney. I used some apple flavored corn, I had leftover from deer season. Put it in a 5gallon bucket, poured a good ole Lonestar over it, threw in a cup of brown sugar, teaspoon of anis extract, filled with water to about 3 inches above the corn with water. I add more if it soaks all that up. Thinking about stirrin in some corn oil, or vegi oil after it ferments. To help hold the wiff, and make a slick. Anybody ever try that, or is that a bad idea? Or is my whole recipe a crazy concoction. Lol, just threw some stuff together layin around. Any advise would be appreciated. And a good spot to bait at Whitney, close to juniper cove. Me and the wife will be campin out there for our 10th this weekend. Hope to catch some fish. Thanks guys.
Posted By: Beak47

Re: Apple corn chum, with brown sugar, beer, anise and vegi oil? - 06/01/20 05:01 PM

It seems like you are going to a lot of trouble with the possibilty your chum may not be “cooked” in time for your fishing trip. just in case it doesnt get ready in time go by Tractor Supply or any other feed store and pick up a bag of 20% range cubes for chum. Normal chum for me is wheat and water and a few weeks of time. It will start boiling in a few days but takes longer than that to get that “fine” aroma. Good luck.

Re: Apple corn chum, with brown sugar, beer, anise and vegi oil? - 06/01/20 05:26 PM

Cool, thanks for the tip. I doubt it will be ready, it will be for the weekend after, I hope.

Re: Apple corn chum, with brown sugar, beer, anise and vegi oil? - 06/01/20 08:09 PM

Anybody know of any good holes around Juniper cove? That they are willing to let me have a go at? If I find some, I will mark them publicly on Navi. I would never mark a loaner on tjere though.
Posted By: opus

Re: Apple corn chum, with brown sugar, beer, anise and vegi oil? - 06/01/20 09:32 PM

add yeast now will speed it up
Posted By: silvers

Re: Apple corn chum, with brown sugar, beer, anise and vegi oil? - 06/02/20 12:46 AM

Few days in the sun you would be good
Posted By: KEGracing

Re: Apple corn chum, with brown sugar, beer, anise and vegi oil? - 06/02/20 01:39 PM

Huntxtrm,

Not looking like anyone is going to jump in with the magic spot... sorry I do not know the lake enought to help. But, pull up the Navionics site - here is a link, and look at the maps. I would find a hole or maybe a shallower flat that the fish might be moving up on with the warmer weather, and start baiting. I make a corn and wheat mash with beer. I also buy 50 lb bags of 20% range cubes (usually about $9 per bag). Have had good luck with both. The range cubes are easy to get, dont stink in the truck, and work great. I have had good luck with channels and blues with the range cubes.

Hope you have a goood trip.

https://webapp.navionics.com/?lang=en#boating@6&key=%7DbbbE%60w_tQ

Ken

Re: Apple corn chum, with brown sugar, beer, anise and vegi oil? - 06/03/20 05:03 PM

Originally Posted by KEGracing
Huntxtrm,

Not looking like anyone is going to jump in with the magic spot... sorry I do not know the lake enought to help. But, pull up the Navionics site - here is a link, and look at the maps. I would find a hole or maybe a shallower flat that the fish might be moving up on with the warmer weather, and start baiting. I make a corn and wheat mash with beer. I also buy 50 lb bags of 20% range cubes (usually about $9 per bag). Have had good luck with both. The range cubes are easy to get, dont stink in the truck, and work great. I have had good luck with channels and blues with the range cubes.

Ken

I am pucking up 2 bags of cotton seedcake Thursday. I ordered it at my locsl feed store. Was gonna give it a try also.

Re: Apple corn chum, with brown sugar, beer, anise and vegi oil? - 06/03/20 05:05 PM

Originally Posted by opus
add yeast now will speed it up

Will do. Thanks for the tip.
Posted By: tx10pt

Re: Apple corn chum, with brown sugar, beer, anise and vegi oil? - 06/03/20 06:52 PM

Originally Posted by Huntxtrm
Huntxtrm,

Ken

I am pucking up 2 bags of cotton seedcake Thursday. I ordered it at my locsl feed store. Was gonna give it a try also.

Where did you find cotton seed cake? It is hard to find the slabs like I used to buy
Posted By: Caribou

Re: Apple corn chum, with brown sugar, beer, anise and vegi oil? - 06/03/20 07:40 PM

Apple and anise corn is going to attract as many carp as catfish. They are more fun to catch anyways, so have fun.

Re: Apple corn chum, with brown sugar, beer, anise and vegi oil? - 06/04/20 02:30 PM

Originally Posted by Caribou
Apple and anise corn is going to attract as many carp as catfish. They are more fun to catch anyways, so have fun.

Awesome! Kids will love it!

Re: Apple corn chum, with brown sugar, beer, anise and vegi oil? - 06/04/20 02:33 PM

Originally Posted by tx10pt
Huntxtrm,

Ken

Where did you find cotton seed cake? It is hard to find the slabs like I used to buy

I ordered it from Joshua Feed, in Joshua Tx. They normally dont keep it this time of year, he told me. Its in 50 pound bags. I think its similar to range cubes, but just cotton seed cake. Once I pick it up tomorrow, i will post pics and beand. I will let you know if I do any good with it.
Posted By: stubby77

Re: Apple corn chum, with brown sugar, beer, anise and vegi oil? - 06/04/20 09:03 PM

Catfish can not dissolve corn or digest I never use corn milo or wheat

Re: Apple corn chum, with brown sugar, beer, anise and vegi oil? - 06/05/20 04:32 PM

Originally Posted by tx10pt
Huntxtrm,

Ken

I ordered it from Joshua Feed, in Joshua Tx. They normally dont keep it this time of year, he told me. Its in 50 pound bags. I think its similar to range cubes, but just cotton seed cake. Once I pick it up tomorrow, i will post pics and beand. I will let you know if I do any good with it.

Here are some pics of what I picked up. 13.99 a bag. It came from Bryan Feed in Aledo. I would think you could get it right there also.
[Linked Image]
[Linked Image]
[Linked Image]

Re: Apple corn chum, with brown sugar, beer, anise and vegi oil? - 06/05/20 04:35 PM

gonna keep that little bucket in the boat. So, if I see a place to try. I can toss a couple of handfulls and mark it. I have read on here, you only need to toss this stuff every few days? Not everyday? Do you all agree? Fish over it with shad? Danny Kings? Perch?

Re: Apple corn chum, with brown sugar, beer, anise and vegi oil? - 06/05/20 04:46 PM

This is where I may start. Drops off of this point down to the creek channel. Maybe toss some in about 15' of water? or should i go closer to the bank? [Linked Image] Any advice would be appreciated. I will share the spots, if they turn out. I aint a stingy fellow. lol

Re: Apple corn chum, with brown sugar, beer, anise and vegi oil? - 06/05/20 04:48 PM

Originally Posted by stubby77
Catfish can not dissolve corn or digest I never use corn milo or wheat
I cant digest it either. But, I still eat it. LOL. will they not come for the smell? This cottonseed cake thing works, I will probably never make chum again anyway.. It smells way better, way cleaner, way easier.

Re: Apple corn chum, with brown sugar, beer, anise and vegi oil? - 06/07/20 06:42 PM

Well baited a couple of holes, no luck. Looked like lots of fish on the FF, but no bites. Used cut bait, danny kings over the cotton seed cake. One lil 14" catfish. I think I bounced it off his head and made him made. Cause soon as it touched bottom, he grabbed it. But nota after that. Oh well, gonna go to lake pat tonight and see if we can get anything. Me and the wifes 10th, she wants to fish! Cant find a better one than that! Lol. Shes the real catch.
Posted By: Beak47

Re: Apple corn chum, with brown sugar, beer, anise and vegi oil? - 06/11/20 05:50 PM

Keep it simple. As mentioned before you dont want to feed them chum you just want to attract them to the area you are fishing. My son catches cats at Cleburne chumming with range cubes. Good luck!

Re: Apple corn chum, with brown sugar, beer, anise and vegi oil? - 06/11/20 11:49 PM

Originally Posted by Beak47
Keep it simple. As mentioned before you dont want to feed them chum you just want to attract them to the area you are fishing. My son catches cats at Cleburne chumming with range cubes. Good luck!

Awesome! Ive got a few spots baited out at Pat now. Going to give them a try tomorrow night
© 2024 Texas Fishing Forum