Texas Fishing Forum

Belton/Stillhouse

Posted By: nombon

Belton/Stillhouse - 05/29/20 03:14 AM

Does anyone on here fish either one of these lake. I haven't fished Belton in 5yrs or so and it was alway a bit hit or miss for me. For some reason I just never put much effort in it it. Stillhouse I have never done very well on for anything other then crappie and bass. I hear of people catching cats out there I just can't seem to locate them in any number, few hear and there that's about it . Any advise wold be great of is you would like to meet up. I am free Mon-Friday and some weekend
Posted By: Riverrat9

Re: Belton/Stillhouse - 05/31/20 07:27 PM

I've fished Stillhouse after some heavy rains. Just go upriver and fish in the channel. Caught a large channel cat that had a baby armadillo in it's belly!

Belton is a lot bigger. I fished it once with jug lines and did ok.. But again I'd just go after rains and hit the muddy water.
Posted By: FishTheBite

Re: Belton/Stillhouse - 06/03/20 02:40 PM

I too have had success with catfish hitting both the river and Trimmier Creek after rains. I don't target catfish very often. But under stable weather conditions in the summer if I was going to on either of these two lakes I would add 15' to whatever depth you think that they should be at and then work both directions from there. Both lakes fish deep for all species. We will be targeting perch on the beds at Stillhouse this weekend and from past experience we will start the search around 10'. We have caught a mix of Shellcrackers and Bluegills off beds as deep as 12' in the past. If the perch are bedding that deep then the predators will be deeper still.
Posted By: nombon

Re: Belton/Stillhouse - 06/04/20 05:19 AM

I went to Benton today first time in many many years I spent about 2hrs out there and picked up 9 in the tree tops out. 6 were keeps in the mouth of Cowhouse Creek all came out of 19ft of water. Was using the Cheese dough after it rains I will try up in there river next week thanks
Posted By: FishTheBite

Re: Belton/Stillhouse - 06/04/20 12:28 PM

Originally Posted by nombon
I went to Benton today first time in many many years I spent about 2hrs out there and picked up 9 in the tree tops out. 6 were keeps in the mouth of Cowhouse Creek all came out of 19ft of water. Was using the Cheese dough after it rains I will try up in there river next week thanks

Good for you!
Posted By: SteveBob

Re: Belton/Stillhouse - 06/05/20 11:41 AM

I'm going to fish river mouths around temple lake park on Belton this weekend with live and cut bluegills and shad. On both lakes the most important searches for the best blue and channel catfish are bait/birds and structure. If you see others slaying white bass on either lake, drop a shad near by just off the bottom. Big ones tend to follow schools of whites that are chasing baitfish. Also in this heat I recommend at or + or - 2 feet from 20 feet depth during daylight and closer to shore and points after sunset. On flatheads it's anyone's guess. They are few and far between but over the years I have caught more on the western end of Cowhouse creek around a mile before West range road on live bait (shad bluegill) than anywhere else on both of these lakes. Cut bait works but not as well as live on these critters. I do not have any recent info. I have been fishing on and off on these and other near by lakes & rivers since the 1960s.

I'll try fly fishing for bluegill and cast netting for shad around owl creek early prior to hunting eating sized cats.

© 2024 Texas Fishing Forum