Texas Fishing Forum

What size does a blue catfish have to get to to be considered a trophy catfish?

Posted By: Catfanman

What size does a blue catfish have to get to to be considered a trophy catfish? - 05/18/20 06:45 PM

How many pounds minimum does a blue catfish in the state of Texas have to be to be considered a trophy ?
Posted By: Jared D.

Re: What size does a blue catfish have to get to to be considered a trophy catfish? - 05/18/20 07:01 PM

I think your question is subjective. Everyone might have a different opinion. I'd call 40+ a trophy. Some people who can 40+ pound fish often might say 80.
Posted By: tgravley aka lewisvillecatfish

Re: What size does a blue catfish have to get to to be considered a trophy catfish? - 05/18/20 09:16 PM

Anything bigger than your last big one!!!
Posted By: Dan90210 ☮

Re: What size does a blue catfish have to get to to be considered a trophy catfish? - 05/19/20 02:01 AM

36 inches qualifies for a trophy fish award from TPWD.

I'd guess that's around 22lbs. Depending on how portly or slim the fish is...give or take a few lbs.
Posted By: Catfanman

Re: What size does a blue catfish have to get to to be considered a trophy catfish? - 05/19/20 03:44 AM

thanks that the kind of answer I was looking for too bad my pb is only around 10 lb for my Bucket list I want to catch at least a 40 lbs I guess I need the right bait and better equipment than punchbait 25 lb test big game and treble hook and a zebco 808
Posted By: Caribou

Re: What size does a blue catfish have to get to to be considered a trophy catfish? - 05/19/20 05:27 AM

Originally Posted by Catfanman
thanks that the kind of answer I was looking for too bad my pb is only around 10 lb for my Bucket list I want to catch at least a 40 lbs I guess I need the right bait and better equipment than punchbait 25 lb test big game and treble hook and a zebco 808

the only thing you need to change is bait and location. you can get it done with the rest of that.
Posted By: 🍀El Gato Azul🍀

Re: What size does a blue catfish have to get to to be considered a trophy catfish? - 05/19/20 08:44 AM

For someone who rarely fishes, trophy fish will be much smaller than for guys who chase big fish often. Any new personal best is a trophy fish on my boat. For guys that catch a ton of Big fish, a 22 lbr is far from a trophy though. A 40 lbr gets my blood pumping good but I’ve forgotten about most of those fish. A 50+ lbr gets burned into my memory bank much better and 60+ makes me do back flips. texas
Posted By: Burbarry

Re: What size does a blue catfish have to get to to be considered a trophy catfish? - 05/19/20 01:04 PM

This is the biggest catfish I’ve ever seen in person. This was caught this winter by my Dad on cut Shad trolling. It weighed just over 55lbs. I would say any flathead or blue over 30lbs is a trophy catfish in my books.

[Linked Image]
Posted By: Flags

Re: What size does a blue catfish have to get to to be considered a trophy catfish? - 05/19/20 01:57 PM

About 40 would be where I'd put it. But it is kind of subjective since people have different levels of experience and skill. For some it may be 20 and for others it may be 60. Kind of a personal decision.
Posted By: DEWAYNE BULLARD

Re: What size does a blue catfish have to get to to be considered a trophy catfish? - 05/19/20 02:23 PM

For sure subjective , a lot of people will never catch a fish over 10 lbs. some may only get to go a couple times a year
so any fish that makes their trip memorable will be a trophy to them.
I thank the good Lord for every fish he sends my way!
Posted By: Riverrat9

Re: What size does a blue catfish have to get to to be considered a trophy catfish? - 05/19/20 10:36 PM

It really depends on where you fish. West of the Trinity I'd say anything over 20 pounds.

A surprisingly small number of fishermen have actually landed a blue over 20.
Posted By: Catfish Lynn

Re: What size does a blue catfish have to get to to be considered a trophy catfish? - 05/20/20 02:00 AM

Yes, it definitely depends across the board. I recall the Lake Limestone record in February or March 2003 (or 2004) was a 36 pound Blue caught by Bruce. It was 36 or 38" in length. The next month, somebody knocked off his record Blue on Lake limestone. But nevertheless, because he tuirned in the paperwork promptly, he was up for several awards (certificates), including Big Fish & Lake Record. I forget what the current Lake Limestone record Blue is now, but it is well over 50 pounds. I think I read the new lake record a few years back has been broken yet again (on Blues).

Shortly after that, within a month or so, he caught a 75 # Yellow. However, the lake record recorded was a 107# or 109# Yellow.
Posted By: G Love

Re: What size does a blue catfish have to get to to be considered a trophy catfish? - 05/20/20 01:34 PM

Hard to say depending on who you're talkin to. I don't get excited-excited unless I see that side roll that looks like a trash can lid about 2' below the boat.
Posted By: Nickbyrd

Re: What size does a blue catfish have to get to to be considered a trophy catfish? - 05/20/20 04:24 PM

Originally Posted by tgravley aka lewisvillecatfish
Anything bigger than your last big one!!!

cheers
Posted By: Riverrat9

Re: What size does a blue catfish have to get to to be considered a trophy catfish? - 05/21/20 04:20 PM

Also, some people call a 130" buck a trophy while others think it's 180".

If you catch a true 20 pound catfish you're in the top 1-2% so that should be good enough if you ask me.
Posted By: deucer02

Re: What size does a blue catfish have to get to to be considered a trophy catfish? - 06/09/20 05:09 PM

Are the big ones good to eat?
Posted By: Fishin' Nut

Re: What size does a blue catfish have to get to to be considered a trophy catfish? - 06/10/20 12:45 PM

Originally Posted by deucer02
Are the big ones good to eat?

No.

I guess Alabama considers anything over 30" to be a trophy as you are only allowed 1 per day per angler. There is no limit on catfish under 30". I have seen trotliners on Lake Guntersville with over 100 catfish in the boat.
Posted By: CubbyObrien

Re: What size does a blue catfish have to get to to be considered a trophy catfish? - 07/29/20 06:30 PM

Caught with my dad with tawakoni guide. Trophy in my book , 48lbs

Attached picture D886CA9F-28AF-4820-A5C0-BD02839E1C6F.jpeg
Posted By: banker-always fishing

Re: What size does a blue catfish have to get to to be considered a trophy catfish? - 07/30/20 03:11 AM

Originally Posted by Dan90210 ☮
36 inches qualifies for a trophy fish award from TPWD.

I'd guess that's around 22lbs. Depending on how portly or slim the fish is...give or take a few lbs.

Plus #1. thumb

Side Note: It is all up to the angler what he feels is a trophy fish! Just my two cents. 2cents
© 2024 Texas Fishing Forum