Texas Fishing Forum

DFW Catfish lakes other than Taw and Fork

Posted By: Jared D.

DFW Catfish lakes other than Taw and Fork - 05/18/20 06:22 PM

What would you consider the best catfish lakes in DFW. We've been to Tawakoni and Fork and caught tons, but looking at someone where else to go. I think Ive heard Hubbard is pretty good?
Posted By: tgravley aka lewisvillecatfish

Re: DFW Catfish lakes other than Taw and Fork - 05/18/20 10:28 PM

Hubbard Lavon eagle mountain ray bob lake worth
Posted By: Osbornfishing

Re: DFW Catfish lakes other than Taw and Fork - 05/18/20 10:36 PM

My wife likes Lake Lewisville.

[Linked Image]
Posted By: RiverRoad

Re: DFW Catfish lakes other than Taw and Fork - 05/19/20 01:15 AM

Richland Chambers
Posted By: 🍀El Gato Azul🍀

Re: DFW Catfish lakes other than Taw and Fork - 05/19/20 01:42 AM

I like Toms picks...Don’t forget about Texoma though. It’s about as far as TWok or Fork. Some serious boat pullers up there too! Lewisville is decent for eaters but doesn’t have very many trophy fish in it.
Posted By: TxCatfishGuide

Re: DFW Catfish lakes other than Taw and Fork - 05/19/20 10:46 PM

Pretty much any lake in DFW and surrounding area is good for at least one species if not more with the exceptions being Mountain Creek and Joe Pool.
Posted By: Fishin' Nut

Re: DFW Catfish lakes other than Taw and Fork - 05/20/20 12:24 PM

Lavon is another choice.
Posted By: FishinGlenn

Re: DFW Catfish lakes other than Taw and Fork - 05/24/20 04:00 PM

We are lucky to have so many good lakes for catfishing in North Texas. Unfortunately, I haven't been able to fish very many of them and usually stay close to home and fish Lake Lewisville. I have fished much in my life but had never caught a limit of any species until this week. About a mile from home I encountered a hungry school of blues and had steady action for two hours. I would love to visit other lakes but nothing beats convenience.
Posted By: zebcoomega1

Re: DFW Catfish lakes other than Taw and Fork - 05/24/20 07:05 PM

You are correct ..I live 20 min from cedar creek,35 from tawakoni
45- 50 from fork , 40 from Hubbard, 35 from Bardwell, 45 from Joe
Pool. And several more in around 1hr. But like you said convenience
means a lot when weather is factor and you catch a lot of fish and
have to clean. We are blessed.
Posted By: Bentman63

Re: DFW Catfish lakes other than Taw and Fork - 05/25/20 03:35 PM

Joe Pool is closest to me. But I don't know if it is good for just eater size catfish. I may hit the damn this summer and spider rig by the dam with live perch and hopefully cut shad and see what happens.

Lake Arlington is close to me too. Grapevine wouldn't be too far as well
Posted By: Caribou

Re: DFW Catfish lakes other than Taw and Fork - 05/25/20 06:28 PM

Originally Posted by Bentman63
Joe Pool is closest to me. But I don't know if it is good for just eater size catfish. I may hit the damn this summer and spider rig by the dam with live perch and hopefully cut shad and see what happens.

Lake Arlington is close to me too. Grapevine wouldn't be too far as well

Joe pool isn’t worth your time in my experience. Little channels are all that’s in there. Grapevine is a much better choice. And I’ve caught some nice channel cat in Arlington while carp fishing. Don’t think there are any blues in there though.
Posted By: mike9582

Re: DFW Catfish lakes other than Taw and Fork - 05/26/20 07:52 PM

Richland chambers is hard to beat
Posted By: z289sec

Re: DFW Catfish lakes other than Taw and Fork - 08/05/20 03:54 AM

Aquilla, the sleeper i.m.o. Famous for its Crappie, but we laid the hammer to the blue cats last weekend. No huge ones, but plenty of very nice fish. Brought home a 6 and a 7 pounder to filet out.
Posted By: wneubauer

Re: DFW Catfish lakes other than Taw and Fork - 08/05/20 03:39 PM

I'm a bank fisherman, and Lavon is good if you can find them. Boat is better....
Posted By: FishHarder

Re: DFW Catfish lakes other than Taw and Fork - 08/20/20 10:38 PM

Ray Hubbard is a surprisingly good catfish lake. You can go almost anywhere on it and catch cats.
Posted By: Curt0407

Re: DFW Catfish lakes other than Taw and Fork - 08/20/20 11:31 PM

I fished Lake Arlington for carp and catfish for years until I moved to East Texas a few years ago. It was a consistent producer for me for both carp and decent channel cats. I never caught a blue there or even heard of one being caught.
© 2024 Texas Fishing Forum