Texas Fishing Forum

Feed store love me!

Posted By: HumanSeine

Feed store love me! - 04/23/20 06:22 AM

I buy lots of range cubes at the friendly feed store. So I bait out north of 5 holes on fork all year between 20 to 35 feet deep water so needless to say I usually catch fish. This year I have struggled more than normal but I got two holes that I can catch small fish on all day long but every once in awhile I get a nice one. A nice one to me is in the 3-5 pound range and yes I carry a scale on my boat. So since I gave been struggling this year I have decided to stick to catching small fish instead of blanking looking for bigger fish. I normally will move to a slightly different depth when the small ones continue but as I said this year has been tougher. I have caught two channel cats this year over 10 pounds so I am not really complaining.a ten pound channel cat is not that common on my fishing trips and I rarely catch one over 10. I just want to upgrade my catch some and I am thinking that big school will swim thru my whole soon? Am I messing up? I talked to several good fishermen on the lake and they are having similar issues. I know Stubby always catches bigger fish but I ain't Stubby. I guess it might be about time to go fishing with him so he can point out my issues on the spot. Lol he pulled up where I was fishing one day to chat and said ARE you going to set the hook or not? Yes you cannot get distracted because the fish are biting very gently . So I got a rod from stubby that I use and it is super sensitive. So I have decided to keep buying my cubes and feeding my fish and know that my bigger fish are on the way. Potts feed store in Emory gets a bunch of business from guys like myself. I think chumming is mostly good for the lake because Fork has an amazing number of catfish in it. Enough on this and sorry for rambling.
Posted By: Fishin' Nut

Re: Feed store love me! - 04/23/20 12:38 PM

As catfish get bigger, their diet will switch to larger baits such as perch and shad. So if you are wanting to target bigger fish, you may need to switch to either cut or live bait. On the Tenn River, I use cut chicken breast to catch eating size catfish, but when I'm wanting larger fish I'll use skipjack, perch, or gizzard shad as bait.
Posted By: littlewheel

Re: Feed store love me! - 04/23/20 01:47 PM

We don’t catch 10 lb channel cat every time we go Scotty. The bigger fish show up more when your holes are baited every day or every other day at minimum. We had a decent day Tuesday, however it wasn’t one of those stellar days. I have put off several guide trips because they aren’t on fire like usual. Hopefully can do a few next week.
Posted By: Osbornfishing

Re: Feed store love me! - 04/23/20 01:58 PM

Originally Posted by Fishin' Nut
As catfish get bigger, their diet will switch to larger baits such as perch and shad. So if you are wanting to target bigger fish, you may need to switch to either cut or live bait. On the Tenn River, I use cut chicken breast to catch eating size catfish, but when I'm wanting larger fish I'll use skipjack, perch, or gizzard shad as bait.

2x
Posted By: EN591

Re: Feed store love me! - 04/25/20 12:07 AM

Anything specific to look for when buying range cubes to bait an area? I haven't bought any before and wondered if there was something specific to look for.
Posted By: Dan90210 ☮

Re: Feed store love me! - 04/25/20 01:22 AM

Originally Posted by Osbornfishing
Originally Posted by Fishin' Nut

2x

X3
Posted By: FishinTime

Re: Feed store love me! - 04/25/20 01:28 AM

Use 20% range cubes, they will sink.
Posted By: silvers

Re: Feed store love me! - 04/25/20 09:23 PM

We drop 25lbs 20% at PK and catch 4lb blues on worms and bass minnows for about 8 hrs, then it stops, switch to cut perch and the bite starts again, bigger slabs of bait
Posted By: Ryno

Re: Feed store love me! - 04/27/20 11:35 AM

What about using a bag like what onions come in to drop cubes down? Or do you just drop them straight from the feed sack? I guess I thought of the onion bag because that way I'd remember where I baited bang
© 2024 Texas Fishing Forum