Texas Fishing Forum

Baited holes

Posted By: Nickbyrd

Baited holes - 03/09/20 01:32 PM

Alright guys Been reading and trying some things but really just experimental half cocked attempts at baiting holes.
I don’t have all the time in the world and it’s easy to pick up a sack of range cubes from the feed store . So what is the best way to go about baiting a hole with range cubes with limited visits to the hole .

My ideal Situation would be to visit the spot once a week dump what I need to keep them there and leave and return to fish it during the weekand . Is this even possible . Or is it mandatory they be fed more often . If so how often ?

Also open to the idea of something different than range cubes . It was just cheap and easily aquired at the feed store.
Posted By: littlewheel

Re: Baited holes - 03/09/20 10:53 PM

If you start out at a new hole , throw a whole bag in every day for a couple days. They will start showing up. After that, if you keep a PVC bait tube tied to that tree and fill it up once a week, fish will stay in the area. Always throw plenty of cubes after you get through fishing a spot. It takes a little time and effort to corral them up, but the payoff is great.

Re: Baited holes - 03/10/20 12:05 AM

PVC bait tube ?
How long does it take to get one baited up real good if you had to guess ?

Re: Baited holes - 03/10/20 12:36 AM

4 inch PVC tube about 3 feet long capped on one end and a threaded lid on other end to fill with range cubes. Put an eye on one end to tie a rope to so you can hang it from a tree. Tie it about 8-12 inches underwater so nobody steals it. We set them a few inches from bottom.
Posted By: Marc-62

Re: Baited holes - 03/10/20 12:41 AM

What size holes did you drill & how many a foot ?
Posted By: Blue Blazer 2400

Re: Baited holes - 03/10/20 01:30 AM

Same method as vice but you can also use a burlap or onion sack. Hold a lot more cubes.

Re: Baited holes - 03/10/20 03:58 AM

1/4 inch holes. Don’t remember how many per foot. You want them to release slowly.
Posted By: lamar44

Re: Baited holes - 03/10/20 04:31 AM

range cubes are ok but for me sweet feed works better and faster.

Re: Baited holes - 03/10/20 04:36 AM

Originally Posted by lamar44
range cubes are ok but for me sweet feed works better and faster.

Now we’re getting somewhere ! How does it compare to range cubes ?

Re: Baited holes - 03/10/20 01:06 PM

Never tried sweet feed. We put thousands of channel cat in the boat every year with range cubes. I will pick up a bag of sweet feed and give it a shot.
Posted By: Jimbo

Re: Baited holes - 03/10/20 01:19 PM

Unlike range/cattle cubes, won't sweet feed float away unless placed in a sack or cage?

I think that if you fed a hole like you say at least once a week that as soon as you throw out those cubes the next time you fish, the catfish will come running so to speak.
Anything you would do that would prolong or slow down the dispersal of the cubes, is just a plus.
I like using an empty white soap bucket with a lid to carry my cubes in that I intend to throw out.
When fishing a pier, off the bank, or in the boat, once you throw out the cubes you can use the empty bucket as your trash bucket to place all your empty beverage containers and any other trash that may fly out of the boat or have the wind blow away.

I have in the past used un-soured milo thrown out just as you would the soured and had decent results as well.
Posted By: SeanV14

Re: Baited holes - 03/10/20 02:41 PM

Originally Posted by Nickbyrd

How long does it take to get one baited up real good if you had to guess ?

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=4AwV16GSkr0
Posted By: JJ4MEL

Re: Baited holes - 03/10/20 02:54 PM

Back when I lived on Canyon Lake I would have about 5 buckets full of corn sitting in my back yard in the sun. I would originally start filling it with water, then old/cheap beer, left over dinner, etc. When the buckets would be nice and ripe, I would go and throw a bucket full in my cove. After 2 weeks I would have a cove full of cats, bass, etc. Everything I caught out of that cove would have corn in its gut.

To me, I believe if the food is present for a period of time, the fish will stick around. No matter if it's range cubes, sweet feed or corn. If you feed them, they will come.
Posted By: silvers

Re: Baited holes - 03/10/20 11:37 PM

Originally Posted by JJ4MEL
Back when I lived on Canyon Lake I would have about 5 buckets full of corn sitting in my back yard in the sun. I would originally start filling it with water, then old/cheap beer, left over dinner, etc. When the buckets would be nice and ripe, I would go and throw a bucket full in my cove. After 2 weeks I would have a cove full of cats, bass, etc. Everything I caught out of that cove would have corn in its gut.

To me, I believe if the food is present for a period of time, the fish will stick around. No matter if it's range cubes, sweet feed or corn. If you feed them, they will come.

Just like deer hunting
Posted By: KEGracing

Re: Baited holes - 03/11/20 12:22 AM

I have been using the soured corn and wheat mix, and putting it in a burlap bag, good casting distance from my dock. Put a fair sized rock or two, and a capped empty water bottle... about 3-4 gallons of the soured corn mash. With the rocks it sinks and the bottle keeps the bag standing up, better flow. I am also throwing out some range cubes while fishing, and casting a few cup fulls off my dock.
I have read recently about people using the wildlife - cattle feed blocks. Just sinking one of those, last a week or so, depending on fish and the current. Might be food if you cant be there on regular basis.

good luck!
Ken
Posted By: lamar44

Re: Baited holes - 03/11/20 01:30 AM

Jimbo, get the allstock brand it sinks.Just throw it in water right from the bag you don't have to sour it.
Posted By: Jimbo

Re: Baited holes - 03/11/20 03:45 AM

Sounds good! thumb
© 2024 Texas Fishing Forum