Texas Fishing Forum

cleaning a catfish

Posted By: Ryno

cleaning a catfish - 02/21/20 06:05 PM

Is it a good idea to remove the red meat in a catfish fillet? I try to do that with stripers but wasn't sure what the protocol was with catfish.
Posted By: Jerry713

Re: cleaning a catfish - 02/21/20 06:44 PM

For me it is. I think this is true for pretty much all fish.
Posted By: BillS2006

Re: cleaning a catfish - 02/21/20 07:04 PM

Most of the catfish I keep to eat aren't big enough to have any red meat. But if one does, I remove it.
Posted By: spazm09

Re: cleaning a catfish - 02/21/20 09:38 PM

Yeah if you stick with fish that are only a couple pounds, red meat isn't very prevalent. Once you get to the 5-10lbs range you start getting more and yes, cut it out. 10lbs+ sized fish starts to get a lot of red meat between the "good" meat and the skin. I don't keep anything over 8-10lbs and usually only keep the 1/2 - 3 pounders.
Posted By: Jimbo

Re: cleaning a catfish - 02/22/20 12:16 AM

Yes, remove the red blood line from the larger cats, but the small ones don't bother.
On the larger catfish I also remove/cut out that nerve that runs the length of the lateral line usually along with the blood line.
Posted By: banker-always fishing

Re: cleaning a catfish - 02/22/20 04:09 AM

Fillet all of my catfish and remove the red meat if necessary! thumb
Posted By: Mckinneycrappiecatcher

Re: cleaning a catfish - 02/22/20 05:29 AM

If there’s enough of it I suppose yes. I really only keep the big flatheads these days and I don’t recall the last few I’ve cleaned having too much red meat.
Posted By: jackiekennedyfishingguide

Re: cleaning a catfish - 02/24/20 02:18 PM

red meat comes out of ever catfish I clean, but some don't mind the fishy taste or get us to it.
Posted By: HumanSeine

Re: cleaning a catfish - 02/24/20 04:28 PM

I grew up eating the red meat no problem here. If I catch a hybrid I take the red from it.
Posted By: taterpop

Re: cleaning a catfish - 02/24/20 05:04 PM

Every catfish is different I've seen two of the same weight Blue or Channel and one will have more Red than the other. So check and see by cutting a small V in the middle of the fillet then you can see just how deep the red goes.
© 2024 Texas Fishing Forum