Texas Fishing Forum

How to Fillet a Blue Catfish Quickly Without Skinning

Posted By: MathGeek

How to Fillet a Blue Catfish Quickly Without Skinning - 02/13/20 06:42 PM

Posted By: BillS2006

Re: How to Fillet a Blue Catfish Quickly Without Skinning - 02/13/20 06:48 PM

Wasted a lot of meat. The knife needs to be sharp, it ain't a saw! Electric knife and I can fillet that fish, both sides, and cut the ribs out in less than 30 seconds.
Posted By: Jerry713

Re: How to Fillet a Blue Catfish Quickly Without Skinning - 02/13/20 07:45 PM

Originally Posted by BillS2006
Wasted a lot of meat. The knife needs to be sharp, it ain't a saw! Electric knife and I can fillet that fish, both sides, and cut the ribs out in less than 30 seconds.

Agree thumb
Posted By: Ryno

Re: How to Fillet a Blue Catfish Quickly Without Skinning - 02/13/20 08:10 PM

would you cut out the red meat?
Posted By: SALLYSUE

Re: How to Fillet a Blue Catfish Quickly Without Skinning - 02/13/20 09:12 PM

Originally Posted by Jerry713
Originally Posted by BillS2006

Agree thumb

I agree 100%
Posted By: tgravley aka lewisvillecatfish

Re: How to Fillet a Blue Catfish Quickly Without Skinning - 02/14/20 12:22 AM

Agree not a good video to show how it’s done right
Posted By: catcrew68

Re: How to Fillet a Blue Catfish Quickly Without Skinning - 02/14/20 01:48 AM

I thought you did fine MathGeek, but I do think an electric knife would help you out.
Posted By: jackiekennedyfishingguide

Re: How to Fillet a Blue Catfish Quickly Without Skinning - 02/14/20 02:44 AM

Originally Posted by tgravley aka lewisvillecatfish
Agree not a good video to show how it’s done right

Said the man who has cleaned untold thousands of bluecat, and I'm in agreement with him.
Posted By: spazm09

Re: How to Fillet a Blue Catfish Quickly Without Skinning - 02/14/20 01:40 PM

Yup, a lot of meat wasted. And the bigger the fish you clean the more meat you would waste.

Electric knife and do it just like any any other fish. Only time I skin em is if they're small 12-14" channels that I'm fryin up whole.
Posted By: Ryno

Re: How to Fillet a Blue Catfish Quickly Without Skinning - 02/14/20 04:32 PM

Cut the red meat out?
Posted By: littlewheel

Re: How to Fillet a Blue Catfish Quickly Without Skinning - 02/15/20 02:10 AM

Besides the guy not really knowing what he was doing , never bring the knife towards you. Always cut away from your body. Especially if you are having to saw because besides not knowing how to filet a fish, you don’t know how to sharpen a knife. Good way to get hurt
Posted By: MathGeek

Re: How to Fillet a Blue Catfish Quickly Without Skinning - 02/15/20 01:15 PM

Originally Posted by Ryno
Cut the red meat out?

We don't. Tasted great.

I agree that there is room for improvement on technique. Why don't folks who can do better make their own videos to help folks get better?
Posted By: 🍀El Gato Azul🍀

Re: How to Fillet a Blue Catfish Quickly Without Skinning - 02/15/20 03:05 PM

This forum is a tough crowd MathGeek. You gotta have thick skin!..if your going to post an instructional video amongst professional fishing guides and hard core catfisherman then be prepared to be critiqued pretty hard. I understand you were probably making the video for the casual fisherman but some of these folks get paid to fish everyday and lessons usually aren’t free. If you really want to learn from one of them then book a trip. Alot of us guys on the forum can’t even post a pic much less figure out how to post video (including myself). I wouldn’t take it the wrong way.
Posted By: Dan90210 ☮

Re: How to Fillet a Blue Catfish Quickly Without Skinning - 02/15/20 06:29 PM

That actually looked a lot better than my typical "fillet" job lol.

Thanks for sharing!
Posted By: serj5150

Re: How to Fillet a Blue Catfish Quickly Without Skinning - 02/15/20 06:58 PM

I tell you what, next time I catch some nice cats I will do a an instructional video on the way I fillet and see how it is recepted...Hey, you never know people might actually like the way I do it..then again they may not huh LOL. And I will be using an electric knife. thumb
© 2024 Texas Fishing Forum