Texas Fishing Forum

Braunig Lake Slipcorking

Posted By: parttime

Braunig Lake Slipcorking - 02/04/20 07:43 PM

It wasn't a great day, but it was still a good time on the water.
Posted By: littlewheel

Re: Braunig Lake Slipcorking - 02/05/20 02:04 PM

Being on the water is always great. I see you are from San Antonio. I sent a couple tubs of Stubby’s to San Antonio Monday.
Posted By: Jimbo

Re: Braunig Lake Slipcorking - 02/05/20 04:12 PM

Nice video John, and I agree any day on the lake is a great day!

Did you see where TPWD last month stocked Channel catfish in Calaveras, and also will stock Blue Catfish at a later date?
Don't know if any went to Braunig, but I assume they did.
Catfishing on Calaveras has fallen off drastically the last few years, and you rarely caught any young catfish, so that was pretty telling that there was/is something wrong with their spawn.
All the one's stocked were in the 2" to 3" range from what I understand.
Hopefully the fishing improves on both lakes.

Re: Braunig Lake Slipcorking - 02/05/20 05:58 PM

Originally Posted by Jimbo
Nice video John, and I agree any day on the lake is a great day!

Did you see where TPWD last month stocked Channel catfish in Calaveras, and also will stock Blue Catfish at a later date?
Don't know if any went to Braunig, but I assume they did.
Catfishing on Calaveras has fallen off drastically the last few years, and you rarely caught any young catfish, so that was pretty telling that there was/is something wrong with their spawn.
All the one's stocked were in the 2" to 3" range from what I understand.
Hopefully the fishing improves on both lakes.

I saw that they stocked channel cats at both lakes but I didn't see mention of blue cats. That is good because you're right, cats have gotten worst at both lakes. I think it was 2017 the last time they stocked Braunig.

Re: Braunig Lake Slipcorking - 02/05/20 06:06 PM

So I just checked, it was 2005 the last time they stocked channel cats in Braunig.......

Re: Braunig Lake Slipcorking - 02/05/20 07:39 PM

Originally Posted by parttime
So I just checked, it was 2005 the last time they stocked channel cats in Braunig.......

It's been a while and even longer since they stocked any blues.
Those lakes held their own even with massive fish kills in past years and also the heavy fishing pressure mainly from the guides.
Throw in the fact that the lake is overrun with Plecostomus (armored catfish from aquariums) that was the last nail in the coffin.

Re: Braunig Lake Slipcorking - 02/06/20 12:36 PM

Yeah I know the guides gotta make a living, but they keep everything... Small lakes, no restocking, and 10 or so guides pounding them....I really think CPS/Thousand Trails should have a limit on guides and a drawing for a "permit" to guide for the year.. I hardly ever fish those lakes any more..

Re: Braunig Lake Slipcorking - 02/06/20 01:48 PM

Originally Posted by parttime
Yeah I know the guides gotta make a living, but they keep everything... Small lakes, no restocking, and 10 or so guides pounding them....I really think CPS/Thousand Trails should have a limit on guides and a drawing for a "permit" to guide for the year.. I hardly ever fish those lakes any more..

I once had the Game Warden pull up on me when I was using a castnet along the shore across the lake near the 181 cove.
He told me (which I knew) that I was on CPS property and not allowed out of the boat, and let me off with a verbal warning.
My point is that the lake is owned by CPS for a cooling lake, and thus they have the right to either reject or allow any fishermen to be on the lake, and can set their rules, which all one has to do is look at what happened to the "crappie wall" when a handful of kayakers decided it was a good idea to trespass on CPS posted property!"
CPS isn't in the business of recreation, so I doubt they care how many boats are on that lake at any one time unless it effects their operation, so I doubt there will ever be limits placed on the guides out there.
I agree with you 100% but what I think would help out there as far as the catfish situation, is TPWD needs to step in and place a reduced daily bag limit on the catfish on Calaveras and Braunig for starters, and try to figure something out on how to remove most if not all those nasty plecos.
Keep the videos coming! thumb
Posted By: Bobbycat

Re: Braunig Lake Slipcorking - 02/06/20 07:06 PM

Thanks, John. Nice video! I love the slip bobber fishing and use bobbers with different rigs. It is very versatile tool!
Posted By: banker-always fishing

Re: Braunig Lake Slipcorking - 02/07/20 03:22 AM

Neat video John! Good times on the water is what it is all about. thumb

Side Note: The only times I fish the power plant lakes is for Reds! I also totally agree about the dwindling catfish population! thumb

Re: Braunig Lake Slipcorking - 02/07/20 11:04 AM

Thanks Bobbycat, I agree. Thank Banker always fishing. I just don’t fish either of those two Lake much any more.
© 2024 Texas Fishing Forum