Texas Fishing Forum

Planerboard question?

Posted By: WillieRip

Planerboard question? - 02/01/20 12:46 AM

You fellas using planer boards for cats, what speeds are you running? Any of you experiment with the dual planers like the striper guys do? I found some a Italian guys with planerboards using handline walking down the beach. They call them barchino divergente. Meaning small-boat diverging for those who speak 'merican. It's like the best of both inline and dual planer in one--no mast.

But I've never use a planerboard of any type. Had the one I made on the river today just seeing what it could do in the current walking along the bank, and man, it's amazing to watch it plane outward. It's almost like flying a kite sideways. Do you guys have much current where you live? Current and wind are concerns for me.

Are you guys running with your main motor, kicker motor or trolling motor?

Do you ever catch stripes or spotted bass with these? I'm actually more interested in the planer for stripes and stick to the jug for cats and bream with the cane poles. Just trying to wrap my head around how these plannerboards work.
Posted By: BigPoppa007

Re: Planerboard question? - 02/01/20 01:07 AM

On Trolling motor .7-1 mph to get planer boards to move out - can go slower if going into wind or against current - .3-.4-.5 mph

Posted By: 🍀El Gato Azul🍀

Re: Planerboard question? - 02/01/20 01:53 AM

You can fish em 100 different ways Damon...you’ll catch all species on em from time to time. I’ve caught magnum crappie, striper, sandbass, trophy largemouth, and just about anything in the lake will hit a rattling shad as it’s passing by. I run mine .4-.7 for catfish but I imagine you could run em double that for scaled fish. I use the trolling motor to pull me.
© 2024 Texas Fishing Forum