Texas Fishing Forum

North TX Shallow Cats

Posted By: Coop2564

North TX Shallow Cats - 01/15/20 08:37 PM

When do the cats start moving shallow in spring? Is it always with the shad or can a few warm days in late jan feb. get them moving up the creeks?
I've never fished for them before March. But I also never fish real deep usually around 4 to 15 ft.
Posted By: Blue Blazer 2400

Re: North TX Shallow Cats - 01/15/20 10:47 PM

IMO there are cats that spend their whole life shallow. Now certain times of the year the majority of the fish migrate, but even then I think the migrations is because they are following the bait.

Yes a few warm days after a cold period will get some fish going shallow. But there will be some bait shallow also. So I still believe they are following the bait
Posted By: Osbornfishing

Re: North TX Shallow Cats - 01/16/20 12:07 AM

In a normal winter, the fish will go shallow in the afternoon to heat up. When it is 75 degrees in the middle of January they do not hold to a normal winter pattern, but that may change in February if it gets colder. At 75 degrees they can be shallow or deep.
Posted By: Coop2564

Re: North TX Shallow Cats - 01/16/20 09:48 PM

Good info guys thanks.
Posted By: Chiprat

Re: North TX Shallow Cats - 01/17/20 05:30 PM

Find Shallow water that has Birds and you will find Catfish.. White or Black Birds on the shallow shore in the am, is a GO Spot... just saying.
© 2024 Texas Fishing Forum