Texas Fishing Forum

Winter Blues Tournament on Wheeler

Posted By: Fishin' Nut

Winter Blues Tournament on Wheeler - 01/06/20 03:02 PM

Three boats sunk due to rough weather.

Article
Posted By: 🍀El Gato Azul🍀

Re: Winter Blues Tournament on Wheeler - 01/06/20 04:11 PM

Mother Nature is unforgiving!! No doubt those anglers were lucky to be so close to help. Most of us winter catfisherman have gotten ourselves in a pickle at least once. I’ve taken some giant waves over the bow of my other boat that made me question everything I was doing. Huge set of waves came over the bow and completely swamped the entire boat. Everything that was in the bottom of the boat including cooler and tackle box were floating in the lake. Thank God I was scanning at the time and was able to punch it and get going before more waves overtook me. I decided right then and there that if I was going to continue to fish the rollers I would absolutely need to get a bigger boat that was better suited for those sticky situations. I let someone know when I’m fishing the rollers and where I plan on fishing just incase something goes wrong. Glad everyone was ok.
Posted By: banker-always fishing

Re: Winter Blues Tournament on Wheeler - 01/07/20 05:11 AM

Glad no one was hurt. Common Since and Good Judgement goes a long way! thumb
Posted By: Fishin' Nut

Re: Winter Blues Tournament on Wheeler - 01/07/20 01:37 PM

Update: Wheeler Lake run East/West. The TVA is dumping large volumes of water due to recent heavy rains (which I can verify). At the time the tournament was starting a cold front blew through with wind gusts up to 35 mph. The water from the dam was going West, the wind was going East. Where the two collided is where Ingalls Harbor is.

Dieter Melhorn has footage and a report.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=rOlpCFdRtbQ&feature=youtu.be
Posted By: Big Sam

Re: Winter Blues Tournament on Wheeler - 01/07/20 02:45 PM

Ive seen Tawakoni out of control a time or two as well scared
Posted By: G Love

Re: Winter Blues Tournament on Wheeler - 01/14/20 06:23 PM

I've seen some sketch on Arrowhead, Twok, Lavon, Eagle Mtn, Bridgeport, Sam Rayburn. Got reeeal sketch on Arrowhead once. That lake can get rank. So can Benbrook. I'm just not that mad at the fish.
© 2024 Texas Fishing Forum