Texas Fishing Forum

Are stinkbaits still used to catch cats?

Posted By: SenkoSam

Are stinkbaits still used to catch cats? - 12/17/19 01:08 PM

When I lived in Wichita Falls, stink bait sold in jars was a popular bait for rec anglers and commercial catfish sellers that used trotlines in rivers. I tried using stink bait once but didn't have the patience to fish in one spot besides which the stink on my hands was hard to wash off.

Anyone still use it?
Posted By: Capt. Michael Littlejohn

Re: Are stinkbaits still used to catch cats? - 12/17/19 01:10 PM

With the popularity of blue catfish, the prepared bait market has definitely dwindled...but yes they are still used. We go through bout 50 gallons a year.
Posted By: littlewheel

Re: Are stinkbaits still used to catch cats? - 12/17/19 03:38 PM

We have made a couple of tons of Cheesebait this year. Seems as though a lot of people are using it. However , the smell doesn’t stay on your hands when done fishing
Posted By: SenkoSam

Re: Are stinkbaits still used to catch cats? - 12/17/19 10:24 PM

Originally Posted by Capt. Michael Littlejohn
With the popularity of blue catfish, the prepared bait market has definitely dwindled...but yes they are still used. We go through bout 50 gallons a year.

That's a lot of bait !!!
Posted By: Twistedmidnite

Re: Are stinkbaits still used to catch cats? - 12/18/19 03:45 PM

Originally Posted by littlewheel
We have made a couple of tons of Cheesebait this year. Seems as though a lot of people are using it. However , the smell doesn’t stay on your hands when done fishing

Catfish crack?
Posted By: littlewheel

Re: Are stinkbaits still used to catch cats? - 12/18/19 10:07 PM

Originally Posted by Twistedmidnite
Originally Posted by littlewheel

Catfish crack?

Stubby’s Cheesebait
Posted By: Osbornfishing

Re: Are stinkbaits still used to catch cats? - 12/20/19 09:37 PM

Stinkbait is great for eating sized channel catfish. If you want the big boys go with bigger bait.
Posted By: uncle_bagster

Re: Are stinkbaits still used to catch cats? - 12/23/19 10:36 PM

I once bought some mail-order stinkbait from Iowa. Wicked Sticky was the name of the bait best I remember. That stuff would linger on your hands for a week or more, and there was no way to get it off. Best stinkbait I've ever used, though. Caught many a panner with it.
Posted By: crapyetr

Re: Are stinkbaits still used to catch cats? - 12/23/19 11:22 PM

Quanah bait...bought it by the 5 gal bucket
Posted By: Beak47

Re: Are stinkbaits still used to catch cats? - 12/24/19 01:32 AM

Quanah and Bob Fincher’s cheesebait which could be purchased with or without blood. I believe it was blood from the chicken plants around Nixon. Good stuff!. I believe 5 gallons was $100.
Posted By: HumanSeine

Re: Are stinkbaits still used to catch cats? - 02/15/20 05:47 PM

I fish almost every week and I use Stubbys cheese bait. I have caught two channel cats over ten pounds in January so the year has started out well. My wife fell and blew out her knee so my fishing had to slow some but in a couple of months I will be st them strong again.
© 2024 Texas Fishing Forum