Texas Fishing Forum

Less than good hooks

Posted By: HumanSeine

Less than good hooks - 10/17/19 08:17 AM

Ok i ordered some number 4 trebles from china. You get what you pay forand i had to sharpen each point like we did on all our crankbaits in the old days. I was buying trbles from walmart that have been breaking on me. I know lake fork is tough on hooks but breaking three hooks a day is not acceptable to me. So far i have found my best budget buy on hooks are the bass pro brand and they perform well. No i dont want to pay bass prices for my hooks so i dont buy owned or katsu hooks. Some companies do not realize catfish guys are not wealthy and they fish for fun and food.i have found that i can get a good yellow rod at academy for 14 bucks and buy their 39 dollar baitcast reel and fish like a madman with no issues. I am open to suggestions on hooks and i make my own lead weights with a doit mold. I use braided line because i want the ultimate senditivity. When that channel cat breaths on my bait i want to know it. In ky world catfishing is the working guys game. I can no longer buy the Ranger boats or new mercury motors. Yes i loved my ranger and now someone else loves it. I glue my old beat up pontoon boat and okder mervury outboard together. Yes i even do most of the maintenance work on my motor. I have recently had it rebuilt because oil pump went out. Ok i no longer need or use an oil pump. Yes i mix my oul and gas so if my boat is running it has oil always! So if i find some reliable inecpensive hook siluggestions it would be great? Now i need a youtube to teach me how to replace my own water pump. I have been paying to have this done but budget rules in retirement. Back on the subject of hooks the bass pro brand is not cheap and i am almost sure the hooks are made by VMC which is a goid choice for toughness and sharpness.
Posted By: tmd11111

Re: Less than good hooks - 10/17/19 08:54 AM

Try Academy's H2O Xpress hooks.
Posted By: littlewheel

Re: Less than good hooks - 10/17/19 11:54 AM

I just recently started using the Eagle Claw 4x and it has made a difference for me. I used to have to change hooks pretty often because they would bend or break. The ones I was using were the 3x. The 4x hook is way stronger and now I just change hooks if they get swallowed. I had to order them from amazon. They are 18.00 for 50 hooks but well worth it.
Posted By: Fishin' Nut

Re: Less than good hooks - 10/17/19 01:21 PM

Contact WillieRip on here. I think he carries a line of treble hooks that he personally tested on the Black Warrior River. Also, what are you using for bait? I switched to circle hooks a long time ago.
© 2024 Texas Fishing Forum