Texas Fishing Forum

Best Beginner Method for Eater Cats

Posted By: SmalljawNH

Best Beginner Method for Eater Cats - 09/26/19 08:16 PM

What method and location would you recommend to a bass angler that wants to begin catching catfish for the fryer? I'm not looking to target trophies or for people's favorite hole, I just want my wife and I to catch some for food and have fun.

My experience with catching catfish (called hornpout where I'm from) has been at night from the shore with bait on the bottom. We never put a lot of planning into those trips. We grab a cooler, a lawn chair, tackle and a lantern then sit outside trying not to get eaten by mosquitoes. I'm open to investing a little bit of money to get started on cast nets and some rod/reel combos. Thanks for any advice you guys are willing to offer.
Posted By: NELA Bassguy

Re: Best Beginner Method for Eater Cats - 09/26/19 08:24 PM

This guy has a bunch of good articles. https://www.catfishedge.com/catfish-rigs/

My personal favorite for eaters is 2-5lb channel catfish on slip corks with treble hooks and punch bait or slip corks with worms and kahle hooks if you want an easier/cleaner experience with non-fishermen. To do this all you really need is a couple of spinning rods with some 12lb+ line and a cooler. If you really want to catch them, you need to chum a couple days before you go.
Posted By: littlewheel

Re: Best Beginner Method for Eater Cats - 09/27/19 12:48 AM

Invest in some Stubby’s cheesebait and some range cubes. Feel free to call me 903-987-2315. Probably caught 4-5 thousand eaters this year.
Posted By: SmalljawNH

Re: Best Beginner Method for Eater Cats - 09/28/19 07:34 PM

Thanks, everyone. Slip corks sound good to me. I have some already and I have a couple of spinning rods with 12lb braid to fluoro leaders. Any particular place to pick up Stubbys Cheese Bait. Im at Cabelas now and they have a couple brands but no stubbies.
Posted By: stubby77

Re: Best Beginner Method for Eater Cats - 09/28/19 10:36 PM

We will help with any questions 'if we can
Posted By: littlewheel

Re: Best Beginner Method for Eater Cats - 09/28/19 10:51 PM

Originally Posted by SmalljawNH
Thanks, everyone. Slip corks sound good to me. I have some already and I have a couple of spinning rods with 12lb braid to fluoro leaders. Any particular place to pick up Stubbys Cheese Bait. Im at Cabelas now and they have a couple brands but no stubbies.

You will need to call Stubby at8173665492 . He can mail it to you
© 2024 Texas Fishing Forum