Texas Fishing Forum

Golden Shiners

Posted By: rlfisher

Golden Shiners - 09/06/19 10:59 PM

Anyone tried these as cut bait for blues
Posted By: Littlefeather

Re: Golden Shiners - 09/07/19 01:05 AM

Haven’t seen any in years. As a kid I always got the job of seining bait. We were overjoyed when I caught them. We used them as live bait. My Dad would have grounded me for cutting one. Red tail shiners were the real golden nugget though. Good luck, cut or live!
Posted By: Osbornfishing

Re: Golden Shiners - 09/08/19 12:23 AM

I have used golden shiners in the past when I could get them. The bigger the better. You can use them live or cut. I have caught lots of ten to twenty pound cats on them.
Posted By: uncle_bagster

Re: Golden Shiners - 09/08/19 06:07 PM

Originally Posted by Littlefeather
Haven’t seen any in years. As a kid I always got the job of seining bait. We were overjoyed when I caught them. We used them as live bait. My Dad would have grounded me for cutting one. Red tail shiners were the real golden nugget though. Good luck, cut or live!

You did better than me as a kid since my job was always carrying the minnow bucket. Seining bait was about as much fun as fishing. We used to get what they called "red horse" minnows, and they were the best.
Posted By: crapyetr

Re: Golden Shiners - 09/08/19 07:20 PM

seined menners in the Pease River between Crowell / Quanah with my uncle...we'd get red horses perty often...and quiksand...scary stuff...also seined tanks for crawdads to use 4 catfishin' on Lake Kemp near Seymour
Posted By: Mckinneycrappiecatcher

Re: Golden Shiners - 09/09/19 05:39 AM

I wouldn’t cut them up. I have caught some BIG ones(like 12-15”), way bigger than you would ever find at a bait store, while netting bait for flatheads and in ponds. Never used them cut, but the flatheads like the big ones alive and so do the big channel cats. My guess would be that blues would eat the big live ones about like they’d eat bluegill, carp, and bullheads. Most bait shops only carry crappie sized ones in the 2-3” range, and if you don’t know where to net some, those extra large ones get real expensive quick.
© 2024 Texas Fishing Forum