Texas Fishing Forum

Catalpa trees?

Posted By: WillieRip

Catalpa trees? - 08/26/19 02:55 PM

Any of you plant catalpa trees for grow worms for catfish? Where do you get the trees to transplant. Do they grow from seeds?
Posted By: taterpop

Re: Catalpa trees? - 08/26/19 05:34 PM

I do and you can get seedlings on line but the way I did it was find someone with trees and seedlings will come up around the mature trees. After you start growing them their are three things you must do to keep the worms growing strong. One kill the fire ants,two rain crows and birds get a lot of them, and after they take off growing, about 3 to 5 years old trim them back. Do this about every third year. Have a Blessed one.
Posted By: Oldrabbit

Re: Catalpa trees? - 08/27/19 09:07 PM

taterpop, I have taken care of the fire ants but have not trimmed mine. They are over 10 years old. How do you suggest I trim them back?
Posted By: Fishbonz

Re: Catalpa trees? - 08/28/19 12:00 AM

Originally Posted by Oldrabbit
taterpop, I have taken care of the fire ants but have not trimmed mine. They are over 10 years old. How do you suggest I trim them back?

Pole saw & Loppers 2cents
Posted By: taterpop

Re: Catalpa trees? - 08/28/19 03:18 AM

Mine were about 15 years old, and no worms, little leaves, and lots of beans. I hired a tree trimmer to come and trim them back to about two feet from the main stump/trunk of the tree. The next year I started having three or four crops of worms.The trees also started having the big leaves again and very few beans. Mine are dew another cut back. This didn't kill a single tree and it was done in the hot summer.
© 2024 Texas Fishing Forum