Texas Fishing Forum

Cast nets

Posted By: Dwight Hardy

Cast nets - 08/06/19 12:17 AM

Can someone recommend a good 4’ net.
I have a 5’ with 1.25lb ,I think, weight and my old shoulders and arthritis just does not like it any more.
Thanks guys and gals
Posted By: Slow Drifter

Re: Cast nets - 08/07/19 12:52 AM

EZ Cast. My throwing shoulder is also pretty jacked up. If I can get a full "spin" when casting it's pretty easy on my shoulder. I throw a 6' and an 8' and my right shoulder is pretty much made of hamburger meat. I can't throw them all day, but enough to keep us in bait. I sweetin' my spot with a couple handfulls of dry cat food whenever I can. Make every cast count, ya' know?
Posted By: Fishin' Nut

Re: Cast nets - 08/07/19 09:02 PM

Originally Posted by Slow Drifter
EZ Cast.

Is that the same as the Super Spreader?
Posted By: COFF

Re: Cast nets - 08/07/19 09:39 PM

You may consider removing every third weight from your net. It will slow the sink rate down, but may be worth a shot.
Posted By: Slow Drifter

Re: Cast nets - 08/08/19 10:26 PM

Originally Posted by Fishin' Nut
Originally Posted by Slow Drifter
EZ Cast.

Is that the same as the Super Spreader?

Not sure if same or not. EZ Cast has an aluminum ring in the center you throw it by. Once you buy it, if the net gets messed up beyond repair, the ring can be taken off and put on any other net.
Posted By: Mckinneycrappiecatcher

Re: Cast nets - 08/08/19 10:52 PM

Please do not buy one of those nets with that aluminum ring, they only make life more difficult. I would just go down on the weight. Betts makes really good affordable nets.
Posted By: TGalyon1

Re: Cast nets - 08/09/19 03:09 PM

Originally Posted by Mckinneycrappiecatcher
Please do not buy one of those nets with that aluminum ring, they only make life more difficult. I would just go down on the weight. Betts makes really good affordable nets.

X 2 on this ^^^^^^ I had one thinking I needed it. I still had tacos. I bought a cheep net the other day at Wal-Mart (holes in my other net) I had no problem throwing it. Other than is has some kind of steal not lead so it sinks slow. That might be the way to go if your net is to heavy. They have 4 5 and 6 ft. But it will sink slower than lead and some of the bait will get away. I am looking at a Old Salt 8 ft but its hard to turn lose of $150 that may get hung up. I may just add lead to the cheep net and try it
Posted By: BrandoA

Re: Cast nets - 08/09/19 03:41 PM

I like the Mako cast nets. I throw a 7ft, 3/8 mesh with 1lb per foot. I have never had a problem with it sinking to slow. My daughter throws a 5ft with ease.
© 2024 Texas Fishing Forum