Texas Fishing Forum

Ivory soap for catfish?

Posted By: Chet

Ivory soap for catfish? - 07/29/19 05:39 PM

Not a catfish guy so wondering how you would use Ivory to catch them?
Posted By: BillS2006

Re: Ivory soap for catfish? - 07/29/19 07:01 PM

Used mostly on trotlines and jug lines. Cut into squares about 3/4" and hook it on. Zote soap is better, it's a little softer.
Posted By: KEGracing

Re: Ivory soap for catfish? - 07/29/19 07:38 PM

Grew up in northern Alabama, and Ivory soap was common for trot lines, jugs and limb lines. Used it some, caught some, but was not the "magic" that some other baits produced. As mentioned above, when it is warm, cut in chunks and it will mold around the hook. As a kid, it was easier (read cheaper) for me to use worms from the barn yard, catch bream, and either cut them, or fish them alive. Probably the best bait in the summer was to catch floating, dead fresh water mussels. They stink terrible, but the fish loved them. Had more time than money back then. Now I don't have enough of either! LOL

The market fisherman used honey bee's on their trot lines. Swore by them. Not sure where they got them, but they were frozen. I never tried them, but saw them and their catch... and they work.

Ken
Posted By: flee fly

Re: Ivory soap for catfish? - 07/29/19 09:23 PM

Used to use soap for trotlines, never really any luck
Posted By: Jimbo

Re: Ivory soap for catfish? - 07/30/19 12:45 PM

As a kid back in the 50's my dad was a trotliner who didn't own a R/R, and he would use a cane pole only for catching bait.
Anyway, he used bar soap which was about the size of two regular bars that you would buy today, and it was super soft and you could easily cut it with a knife and punch it on a hook without it falling apart.......I know because I had the job of cutting it into squares when we baited the lines.
The only soap that comes somewhat close is the "Zote" brand, but it's not as good as the old soap that contained more fat.
Posted By: Fishin' Nut

Re: Ivory soap for catfish? - 07/30/19 01:38 PM

Just use raw chicken breast.
Posted By: Dwight Hardy

Re: Ivory soap for catfish? - 07/31/19 09:55 PM

Used PG soap many,many years ago. Caught a lot of channels on it.
Posted By: BrianTx01

Re: Ivory soap for catfish? - 08/07/19 01:45 PM

Use shad to catch fish and soap to clean your hands.
Posted By: Dan90210 ☮

Re: Ivory soap for catfish? - 08/07/19 04:00 PM

Originally Posted by BrianTx01
Use shad to catch fish and soap to clean your hands.

Thats my thought BUT I have seen guys use soap. Never seen them catch anything on it but I have seen it done.

So it must work at some point.
Posted By: catcrew68

Re: Ivory soap for catfish? - 08/07/19 04:28 PM

My dad used it back in the day. He did fair but much better on perch and cut carp.
Posted By: COFF

Re: Ivory soap for catfish? - 08/07/19 09:43 PM

Catfish will eat just about anything. But bait up a trotline alternating every other hook with soap and shad and you'll find you catch way more fish on the shad. Or the hot dogs, or livers, etc.
© 2024 Texas Fishing Forum