Under Water Structures
Time of year
Anything other info.
Posted By: SangerCrappieMan

Re: Chumming Cat's - 06/21/19 07:52 PM

sour maize spread out where you are going to fish
Posted By: Lon Hagler

Re: Chumming Cat's - 06/21/19 08:09 PM

I hear of folks dumping prairie pellets, 20% protein or more so they sink if you can't handle the stench of soured grain.
Posted By: taterpop

Re: Chumming Cat's - 06/24/19 03:21 AM

Right now I'm fishing flooded timber and I chum with range cubes and sour grain mix. The reason being the sour grain will get them in quick and the cubes will keep them feeding longer where you put them out.
Posted By: Ed-n-eddy

Re: Chumming Cat's - 06/24/19 03:25 AM

Tater,
How much are you throwing out?

Re: Chumming Cat's - 06/24/19 07:45 PM

I have one of those plastic Baseball bats and I fill it about 2/3 full with cubes then pour the sour grain in and let it run through the cubes.I'll put about three of those in each spot. Also this is only for the flooded timber. After the lake goes down and the cats have a hard clean bottom to feed on then it's sour grain only for me.
Posted By: RetiredYaker

Re: Chumming Cat's - 06/26/19 08:15 PM

I dump 2 bags of range cubes, then come back the next day and dump one, then come back the next day to fish.
Posted By: mreed

Re: Chumming Cat's - 06/26/19 10:48 PM

Originally Posted by RetiredYaker
I dump 2 bags of range cubes, then come back the next day and dump one, then come back the next day to fish.

Those are $36 catfish OMG not to mention fuel and bait
Posted By: Jerry713

Re: Chumming Cat's - 06/26/19 11:06 PM

Originally Posted by mreed
Originally Posted by RetiredYaker

Those are $36 catfish OMG not to mention fuel and bait

That's all! Sign me up.
Posted By: butch sanders

Re: Chumming Cat's - 06/27/19 12:17 AM

cracked corn
it sinks

do this behind my Dads home
at Lake Arlington

you can fill an ice chest
the next day
Posted By: Jimbo

Re: Chumming Cat's - 06/27/19 01:20 PM

It's kind of fun turning a dull bag of milo or range cubes into a nice pile of fillets.
I guess a person could batter those range cubes and pop them into hot grease if the fish refused to bite. barf

Re: Chumming Cat's - 07/05/19 04:06 AM

Originally Posted by Jimbo
It's kind of fun turning a dull bag of milo or range cubes into a nice pile of fillets.
I guess a person could batter those range cubes and pop them into hot grease if the fish refused to bite. barf

Better fish with wennies so you can snack if they don't bite smile smile
Posted By: BillS2006

Re: Chumming Cat's - 07/05/19 01:20 PM

Put out at least 5 gallons of sour maze when you get ready to fish. grin
Posted By: Jimbo

Re: Chumming Cat's - 07/06/19 02:03 PM

Originally Posted by BillS2006
Put out at least 5 gallons of sour maze when you get ready to fish. grin

You put out that much, don't plan on fishing for a couple of days after.
Posted By: Osbornfishing

Re: Chumming Cat's - 07/17/19 12:44 PM

I use range cubes to chum. If I am fishing a new area I try and fish 3 days in a row. The first day I fish then chum about 2 to 5 pounds when I leave. I come back the next day and repeat the process of fishing and then chumming when I leave. The third day I fish and usually set some records. Range cubes work good for catfish but really draw in the carp and buffalo if they at around.
Posted By: opus

Re: Chumming Cat's - 07/18/19 03:45 PM

I-use-about-a-gal.sour-grain-to-start-then-when-it-slows-a-quart-gets-um-goin-again
Posted By: Thunk

Re: Chumming Cat's - 07/23/19 07:33 PM

Just keep you two 5 gallon buckets of soured milo on a rotational basis. You don't need a lot just put out in places where cats frequently hang out. Standing timber. Brush piles and drop offs. Get some dip bait down in those places Before you set out the stink! You should give yourself at least 30 min. After you have put out the soured grain to fish it. As said before. Drop 2-3 big scoops in likely areas that are fairly close together and come back to the first spot and fish it in about 20 min.as that will be the time it'll take to set up the other two spots. By the time you get anchored out, get u a cup of coffee. Bait up 2-3 poles with dip bait, cut shad, weiners, whatever you choose the catfish should cooperate. I like range cubes too but the carp will find the and go to town with em. You'll still catch some cats off of range cubes. If you range cubes it then do it the night before and then come back and dump your grain in the same spot(s).
Posted By: opus

Re: Chumming Cat's - 07/24/19 03:02 PM

30-gal-black-trash-can-works-great.Ive-kept-a-55gal.-plastic-drum-of-sour-grain-for-many-years
Posted By: Ed-n-eddy

Re: Chumming Cat's - 07/24/19 03:51 PM

Opus is talking about something close to my experience too. I haven't found a source for milo here in the metroplex (I'll take suggestions for milo). So, I use scratch grain (has a lot of milo in it). When I soured small batches, the remaining scratch grain attracted and bred rice weevils (yaa, more protein). So, if you get a bag of scratch grain (my experience), sour the whole bag at once and be done with it.
© 2024 Texas Fishing Forum