Texas Fishing Forum

I screwed up Joe Pool lake record

Posted By: juggin4cats

I screwed up Joe Pool lake record - 04/27/19 04:06 AM

For starters I just fish...never think about a lake record. I caught this 34.7 LB blue on rod and reel this afternoon on cut shad then released. Buddy called and ask if I knew the lake record was 22 LB for a blue.....well hell no...not a clue.....my loss I suppose...got pics and video but didnt have it weighed on cert. scales......Oh well it was fun...

Attached picture thumbnail-5.jpg
Posted By: lowew79

Re: I screwed up Joe Pool lake record - 04/27/19 04:24 AM

I'm with you, who cares? Nice fish, great times, and good on you for putting that monster back!
Posted By: ToasterWEyes

Re: I screwed up Joe Pool lake record - 04/27/19 05:56 AM

Awesome fish! Congrats
Posted By: TXMulti-Species

Re: I screwed up Joe Pool lake record - 04/27/19 06:00 AM

Smashed the record, congrats! Good on you for releasing her, too! thumb If you've got a photo of the fish next to a ruler or tape measure you can still get a length record.
Posted By: blooper961

Re: I screwed up Joe Pool lake record - 04/27/19 08:42 AM

I did the same thing by eating an almost 3 pound crappie.
Posted By: banker-always fishing

Re: I screwed up Joe Pool lake record - 04/27/19 06:58 PM

If the fish was 36" in length or more and you have a picture showing it's length and a picture of you holding the fish you can apply for the Catch&Release Record. Joe Pool has no Blue Cat Catch&Release Record. Nice fish and super job! cheers

Re: I screwed up Joe Pool lake record - 04/27/19 10:53 PM

Thanks for all the input.....I'll catch him again or one bigger and know next time....LOL
Posted By: Tmonjure

Re: I screwed up Joe Pool lake record - 04/28/19 11:00 PM

Oh well, hell of a fish. Congrats thumb
Posted By: Littlefeather

Re: I screwed up Joe Pool lake record - 04/28/19 11:36 PM

Nice fish! Congrats!
I caught two lake record breaking crappie this Spring and didn’t know till to late as well. The memory of those tasty fillets are haunting
Posted By: Sirjet

Re: I screwed up Joe Pool lake record - 04/29/19 12:34 PM

Did you say You caught this on Lake Joe Pool?
Posted By: Big Sam

Re: I screwed up Joe Pool lake record - 04/29/19 01:33 PM

Nice fish cheers at least he is still there to go after again banana

Re: I screwed up Joe Pool lake record - 04/29/19 04:32 PM

SirJet......Yes sir, I caught him on Joe Pool. Cut shad.....only way to go.

Re: I screwed up Joe Pool lake record - 04/29/19 05:08 PM

Called the Marina at Joe Pool. They can only weigh up to 30 LB.......whats that all about? So when I catch this fish again, where would I have to go and have him weighed and if its after hours for most places do I just do my best to keep him alive until I find a place?
Thanks
Ken
Posted By: pop r

Re: I screwed up Joe Pool lake record - 04/29/19 05:46 PM

cheers Great catch!
Posted By: Sirjet

Re: I screwed up Joe Pool lake record - 04/30/19 12:51 PM

I live right on Joe Pool. but I have never had any luck on getting nice size kitties. Way to go Sir. keep it up.
Posted By: banker-always fishing

Re: I screwed up Joe Pool lake record - 05/01/19 04:46 AM

Originally Posted by juggin4cats
Called the Marina at Joe Pool. They can only weigh up to 30 LB.......whats that all about? So when I catch this fish again, where would I have to go and have him weighed and if its after hours for most places do I just do my best to keep him alive until I find a place?
Thanks
Ken

Meat Markets,Feed Stores,Grocery Stores,and freight warehouses, usually have calibrated scales. You can use any scale as long as it has been calibrated and has a yearly certificate of calibration. Some of these places will weigh a fish and others will not. It's just a suggestion. You can also get a scale and keep it yearly calibrated. thumb
Posted By: fuzzion

Re: I screwed up Joe Pool lake record - 05/01/19 05:04 AM

Great catch! Congrats!
Posted By: bowhunter247

Re: I screwed up Joe Pool lake record - 05/02/19 01:11 PM

Congrats on the catch. Very impressive for Joe Pool.
Posted By: SHO250

Re: I screwed up Joe Pool lake record - 09/12/21 01:09 AM

[Linked Image]
I feel your pain bro. I caught this flat head last Saturday on 9/4/2021 at Joe Pool. Weighed 33.2lbs. I’ve seen a lot of lakes records at 50-70 pounds. I didn’t even think to look at the lake record till after we left the lake. The lake record for flat head on Joe Pool is 14.85 rod and real. I crushed it. I caught it on a shaky head worm with 15lbs fluorocarbon. It was a blast and I was wore out after getting that toad in. I’m a idiot. 🤦🏻‍♂️
Posted By: blooper961

Re: I screwed up Joe Pool lake record - 09/12/21 01:38 AM

I ate a nice tasting crappie from Joe Pool that weighed close to 3 lbs.
Then someone told me that would have been a record for that lake.
But I was raised near Tawakoni. Three pound crappie there are a dime a dozen
Posted By: Osbornfishing

Re: I screwed up Joe Pool lake record - 09/13/21 11:17 PM

Beautiful fish, and I feel your pain about losing the record. I released a state and line class world record jack crevalle and didn’t get enough information to document the record. The experience put me on a path to study fishing records by multiple organizations. The lack of information on records prompted me to write a book about the subject. If you really want to find out about achieving records, you may enjoy the book.

https://www.amazon.com/kindle-dbs/e...;langFilter=default#formatSelectorHeader
Posted By: Catfish Tim

Re: I screwed up Joe Pool lake record - 09/16/21 06:14 PM

We had a similar experience with the channel cat record on Lavon. Three of my grandkids have caught channels that broke the current record. Two of them basically doubled it and my grandson Wyatt caught a 9 pounder, more than 4 times the current record. I kept telling myself that I needed to get my scale certified and I never get around to it.
© 2024 Texas Fishing Forum