Texas Fishing Forum

Blues in winter deep or shallow?

Posted By: Taylor0262

Blues in winter deep or shallow? - 11/10/18 05:21 PM

Im gonna do alot of drift fishing and possibly anchor fishing over this winter on Tawakoni and Hubbard. I was wondering in general do blues tend to be shallow or deeper this time of year? Just want to focus on the correct areas. Thanks in advance!
Posted By: BigPoppa007

Re: Blues in winter deep or shallow? - 11/10/18 08:45 PM

Both or either depending on the Weather. if it's been Cold for a bit and the we have a Warmer Sunny Day (even if it's still Cold) check the Shallows.......
Posted By: Bobbycat

Re: Blues in winter deep or shallow? - 11/10/18 09:01 PM

Weather is ~similar in Dallas and Livingston (cold and rainy). I live on the bank of the shallow creek of Lake Livingston. A huge number of shad here these days. Blues should be close.

P.S. Five days ago, I got three good blues just near the creek bank at the depth ~ 3-4 feet

Re: Blues in winter deep or shallow? - 11/10/18 09:06 PM

Ok great. Thanks for feedback. Im trying to learn as much as i can to get better at this!
Posted By: RespectTheFish

Re: Blues in winter deep or shallow? - 11/10/18 10:41 PM

Fish shallow! Try about 5 fow. Im about to anchor up and use a ballon rig to drift my rods around with a shad a foot or two below it and see what happens.

Re: Blues in winter deep or shallow? - 11/11/18 12:33 AM

Thank you sir! I will give that a shot
Posted By: TRH (formerly xpress00)

Re: Blues in winter deep or shallow? - 11/11/18 03:54 AM

11 fow this morning. Water temp 59.5
Posted By: 🍀El Gato Azul🍀

Re: Blues in winter deep or shallow? - 11/11/18 12:52 PM

There are a million ways to skin a cat! yall fish a lot shallower than we do this time of year thats for sure. we are in 20-30 ft and move out deeper as the water hits the 50s and 40s. Last weekend we found the bigger fish up to 70lbs in 26-28ft but we also marked some big fish in 5 ft. It really depends on your style of fishing and how you like to target them cuz you can catch em at all depths most of the year.

The first thing I do when I get on the lake is scan the ledges coming out of the cove I put in and determine what depth the bigger gizzard Shad are relating to. Once you establish a gizzard pattern you can pretty much go anywhere on the lake at that depth and see Shad. Once youve established your bait pattern its all scanning with your electronics to find the bigger fish... texas

Re: Blues in winter deep or shallow? - 11/11/18 03:16 PM

Great info sir! Thank you!
Posted By: J Lowe

Re: Blues in winter deep or shallow? - 11/11/18 08:13 PM

Originally Posted By: El Gato Azul
There are a million ways to skin a cat! yall fish a lot shallower than we do this time of year thats for sure. we are in 20-30 ft and move out deeper as the water hits the 50s and 40s. Last weekend we found the bigger fish up to 70lbs in 26-28ft but we also marked some big fish in 5 ft. It really depends on your style of fishing and how you like to target them cuz you can catch em at all depths most of the year.

The first thing I do when I get on the lake is scan the ledges coming out of the cove I put in and determine what depth the bigger gizzard Shad are relating to. Once you establish a gizzard pattern you can pretty much go anywhere on the lake at that depth and see Shad. Once youve established your bait pattern its all scanning with your electronics to find the bigger fish... texas

Solid advice cheers
Posted By: Littlefeather

Re: Blues in winter deep or shallow? - 11/12/18 01:29 AM

18-22 today on the end of a wind blown point. Water temp of 58.8

Re: Blues in winter deep or shallow? - 11/12/18 03:52 PM

Good info! I hear wind blown points are great. Were you anchored or drifting?
Posted By: BrianTx01

Re: Blues in winter deep or shallow? - 11/12/18 04:41 PM

20-45' this time of year is my go to range... depending on the lake. They are not always in the deepest part.
© 2024 Texas Fishing Forum