Texas Fishing Forum

A couple of catfishing questions.

Posted By: Lepomis4Life.

A couple of catfishing questions. - 10/30/18 06:39 AM

1. Do catfish care what color your line is?
2. Do colored (red) hooks make any difference?
Posted By: kodys'papa

Re: A couple of catfishing questions. - 10/30/18 10:32 AM

Have seen others and caught catfish on many different colors of line...
Don't know the science of red but fish are not biting the hook, they are looking for an easy meal imho
Posted By: tgravley aka lewisvillecatfish

Re: A couple of catfishing questions. - 10/30/18 11:50 AM

Dont personally believe either makes a difference. Havent seen any red hooks that the red paint would stay on anyways.
Posted By: sae

Re: A couple of catfishing questions. - 10/30/18 12:07 PM

Red hooks do catch fish--- ermen
Posted By: TRH (formerly xpress00)

Re: A couple of catfishing questions. - 10/30/18 03:09 PM

I don't honestly believe either make a difference.
Posted By: spazm09

Re: A couple of catfishing questions. - 10/30/18 05:26 PM

Originally Posted By: TRH (formerly xpress00)

+1
Posted By: JJ4MEL

Re: A couple of catfishing questions. - 10/30/18 06:03 PM

+2
Posted By: 🍀El Gato Azul🍀

Re: A couple of catfishing questions. - 10/30/18 06:07 PM

Catfish are indifferent to line color...pick a color that is eye catching so that you can keep an eye on your line at a glance. Being able to see a rod go down with your peripheral vision is a lot easier with hi-vis. Eye strain is a huge beating when trying to watch 8 rods and it will wear you out. hi-vis line will cut down on eye strain a great deal and will make fishing a lot more enjoyable. texas
Posted By: BigPoppa007

Re: A couple of catfishing questions. - 10/30/18 06:37 PM

No n No.
Posted By: Drawout

Re: A couple of catfishing questions. - 10/30/18 07:50 PM

No x 2

Re: A couple of catfishing questions. - 10/30/18 07:54 PM

I do think rattles may Help if drifting...........

Re: A couple of catfishing questions. - 10/30/18 08:20 PM

Originally Posted By: BigPoppa007

I don't drift enough to justify buying expensive bass lures to add some rattlin, but I do agree that rattles probably help in drifting situations.

Re: A couple of catfishing questions. - 10/30/18 09:00 PM

I don't drift enough to justify buying expensive bass lures to add some rattlin, but I do agree that rattles probably help in drifting situations.

There are rattles that go on leader line that arent Lures.
Posted By: uncle_bagster

Re: A couple of catfishing questions. - 10/30/18 10:03 PM

I do like to use colored line when fishing from the bank, though. It help with bite detection, plus when playing a fish, I can guide it in while avoiding visible snags.
Posted By: Catfish Lynn

Re: A couple of catfishing questions. - 10/31/18 03:49 AM

As to your initial questions ...

1. Do catfish care what color your line is?
2. Do colored (red) hooks make any difference?

++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++
This is a good debate, as to the color of line. It would seem it makes no difference. Except I might add one exception. One of my YellowCat teachers- Newt, explained that most of the time, big Yellows are very cautious & get a little leery of white lines. He used size 36 solid braided grren nylon cord for his main trotline, as well as the leaders. He also did not use swivels or any thing similar. He would tie each leader line on the main line with a hitch knot, then a single knot on each side to act as a sort of clamp as a big cat pulled & tried to run parallel with the line. He also taught me how to burn the ends just past the knots to prevent unraveling, as well as a lock to prevent the knot from opening up.

Naturally, over the years, I have pretty well stayed with green cord, due to some of his observations, as well as Olen's, my other YellowCat teacher.

As to the second question, I may not be using red hooks, however, I do believe the research results concerning red hooks. Let me look for that snip ...
This was found out by Tru-Turn hooks. The last portion concerns red hooks.
+++++++++++++++++++
Description: Tru-Turn Hooks

A test by the U.S. Army resulted in their recommendation that Tru-Turn Hooks be used in the Military Survival Fishing Kits. (Spec. # MIL-F-6218).

Tru-Turn Hooks are designed to perform. The offset forces the point to turn towards the slightest touch to get the deepest possible hold.

Extensive research by an independent group at Auburn University proved that Tru-Turn Hooks were significantly superior (in Hookup ratios) over all hooks tested. In fact, Bass Masters Magazine found the research so thorough they published the results.

How Tru-Turn's Cam Action Works

The offset forces the point to turn towards pressure. It's like stepping on a rake; it acts as a cam, forcing the handle to rise.

What's the Reason for Blood Red Hooks?

During extensive underwater testing, we found that every species in the test tank would strike dark red more than any other color combined. This dark red color simulates the Gill Flash of feeding fish. This is what stimulates the natural feeding response.
+++++++++++++++++++

A side note by me-
In an offshoot, I might add that Tru-Turn hooks used in catching two different large Yellows were most interesting. YellowCats have their gills wrap around further than a Blue or Channel. In two separate catches, the Tru-Turn hook was dispelled but did not make it out of its mouth. Both fell to the bottom into their gills. The hook was lodged in there (hooking around 1 gill). Those Yellows would never have gotten off, unless the hook had rusted & deteriorated.

Re: A couple of catfishing questions. - 10/31/18 12:15 PM

There are rattles that go on leader line that aren’t Lures.

Yes, I'm very aware there are. That was a poke at demon dragons. I still don't drift enough for it to make me a difference.
© 2024 Texas Fishing Forum