Texas Fishing Forum

What do u guys use when jug fishing to retrieve your jug

Posted By: desertfisherman

What do u guys use when jug fishing to retrieve your jug - 10/27/18 09:21 PM

I chased my jug all over the lake, what have you guys built to retrieve the jug
Posted By: Catfish Lynn

Re: What do u guys use when jug fishing to retrieve your jug - 10/27/18 11:52 PM

Not sure I am correct, in your query, but I use hands or a small gaff to grab the jugs. As to how to find the jugs if they have moved, patience & time to search for it. In the case of a big Op, it could be down under for some time.
Posted By: catcrew68

Re: What do u guys use when jug fishing to retrieve your jug - 10/28/18 02:13 AM

I have a 5 foot wooden broom handle with a 10 aught hook, shank wrapped with nylon line and glued. Point of hook filed down. Works great.
Posted By: Hayabusaracer

Re: What do u guys use when jug fishing to retrieve your jug - 10/28/18 03:21 AM

Originally Posted By: catcrew68
I have a 5 foot wooden broom handle with a 10 aught hook, shank wrapped with nylon line and glued. Point of hook filed down. Works great.

cheers
Posted By: MacD

Re: What do u guys use when jug fishing to retrieve your jug - 10/28/18 09:53 AM

I have a pole with a hook that telescopes out it’s made for duck hunting so you can reach your decoys in deeper water. It’s about 4ft’ and will reach out 12 ft and when you slide it all out.
Posted By: RespectTheFish

Re: What do u guys use when jug fishing to retrieve your jug - 10/28/18 05:21 PM

I just grab it with my hand but part of the reason that is enough is because I have a “smart” trolling motor. As I drive with my big motor I may streer the nose of the boat with TM if a fish swims away or wind pushes me. As far as finding jugs if that’s what you’re asking, this is one reason I use a flagging jug. I set my jugs so they always stand upright. This makes it easy to locate them even if they are half a mile away! The best jug lines I’ve ever seen were made with 24 inches of 3/4 inch pvc with a weight inside to help it stand upright all the time. They put 18 inches of the larger sized swim noodle so it was super tall in the water plus even a big fish can’t hold it down for long. You can locate them easy this way! I may rebuild mine so they are that scale.
Posted By: ChuChu1

Re: What do u guys use when jug fishing to retrieve your jug - 10/28/18 06:00 PM

I have an old hoe handle the blade broke off and just the hook part is left.
Posted By: Fishin' Nut

Re: What do u guys use when jug fishing to retrieve your jug - 10/29/18 12:46 PM

I bought a 1" dowel rod and a hook at Lowe's.
Posted By: WillieRip

Re: What do u guys use when jug fishing to retrieve your jug - 10/29/18 08:24 PM

They can't pull my jugs, lol. It's like pulling against a parachute. They simply can't outrun or out maneuver you. Physics.

Posted By: desertfisherman

Re: What do u guys use when jug fishing to retrieve your jug - 10/31/18 08:46 PM

awesome idea. what size is the board and how do you attach it
Posted By: WillieRip

Re: What do u guys use when jug fishing to retrieve your jug - 10/31/18 09:57 PM

desert, this is a 2x10 lumber, but you can use 1x10 or even plywood. You bore a whole through the middle of the plank an 1/8 of an inch larger than the wood dowel.

Here's the video I made showing how I build them a few weeks back: https://youtu.be/F1EmGBr8BE0
Posted By: slabcrazy

Re: What do u guys use when jug fishing to retrieve your jug - 11/09/18 02:49 PM

i use an old paint pole that has an old roller on it. it extends out if i need it to.
Posted By: texdanm

Re: What do u guys use when jug fishing to retrieve your jug - 11/12/18 04:01 PM

Most of the time I just grab it by hand but that can be tough with a runner. I have a telescoping boat hook that works pretty well but plan C can be fun too. I have a rod with a BIG treble hook on it that I've cut the points off of.I have an old light surf rod with an old Mitchel 302 spinning reel on it. I can cast that big hook and snag the line. It then slips up the line and lodges against the jug. I use it a lot for those dratted gar that run all over the place with my jugs and it is a lot of fun when you have a 5' gar on the line. I also had to use it one time on a striper that grabbed a shad and took off.
Posted By: BrianTx01

Re: What do u guys use when jug fishing to retrieve your jug - 11/12/18 04:42 PM

Put a bigger weight on it and they will not run very fast.
Posted By: RiverRoad

Re: What do u guys use when jug fishing to retrieve your jug - 11/12/18 10:59 PM

Telescoping Paint Roller (remove the roller frame).
Posted By: Winger Ed.

Re: What do u guys use when jug fishing to retrieve your jug - 11/15/18 02:40 AM

If I'm anchored for awhile, I'll let a couple jugs float away off the back of the boat.
I've got a couple of $5. rods & reels from Goodwill that I tie to them.
© 2024 Texas Fishing Forum