Texas Fishing Forum

Novice question

Posted By: SlowDown

Novice question - 10/08/18 12:35 PM

Plan to target 1 to 5 pound cats with cut bait on circle hook. Spinning gear, 15 to 20# braid, 8 to 12# leader. What size circle hook would be best in this case?
Posted By: 🍀El Gato Azul🍀

Re: Novice question - 10/08/18 01:17 PM

6/0 is good size for eaters but you will be sick when you hang a monster and he comes unbuttoned... texas
Posted By: tgravley aka lewisvillecatfish

Re: Novice question - 10/08/18 01:54 PM

I love circle hooks but if your focusing on small cats, I am guessing Channelcat. Then you may want to try the kahle hook so you can jerk when they start pecking your bait. If your catching mostly blues 4/0 to 6/0 will be good

Re: Novice question - 10/08/18 02:58 PM

Eater size channels is what I hope to catch, but I’m sure some blues are mixed in. I thank all of you for the replies. El Gato, when you say a monster, if I happen to hook one, may come unbuttoned, does that mean circle hooks are more apt to pull loose on big fish than a hook style that requires me setting the hook? I have fished all my life for multiple species, but fished very little for cats with a rod and reel, usually used trot lines when I did fish for them. Now I’m too old for trotlines and all that stuff and, except fishing a little with a bass fisherman friend that has a boat, I will be sitting on the bank and casting for catfish. In addition to cut bait, I will also have a dip bait to put on a treble hook. Any other suggestions you may have will be appreciated.

Re: Novice question - 10/08/18 03:23 PM

I a bluecatr Slowdown but if your channel cat fishing for eaters i’d I use a treble hook with your preferred punch bait. For blues I’d use circle hooks. Now as far as coming unbuttoned, when you hang one over 20 lbs this this time of year they pull hard cuz the water is still warm. If you catch one over 30 and he makes a hard run like some of em like to do this time of year, they can rip that little hook right out. You can still catch some big fish on a 6/0 but you will miss about as many as you catch. I hate missing a big fish halfway to the boat cuz I you only get a few chances each trip if any. I usually switch to 8/0 starting October 1st as the bigger fish start showing back up. There are a million ways to skin a cat so don’t be afraid to experiment until you find your own style of fishing that works for you....we all do it a little different! Good luck! texas

Re: Novice question - 10/08/18 03:34 PM

Understand. Thank you sir. When using trebles with punch bait for eater size channel cats, I think I read that a size 6 would be ok. Does that sound right to you?

Re: Novice question - 10/08/18 04:03 PM

#4-6 is prolly the most widely used size for channel kitty. Guys will switch to a #8 if they are missing fish. The smaller the hook the more likely to swallow it though.
Posted By: Littlefeather

Re: Novice question - 10/08/18 05:31 PM

I always trusted a #2 Kale widegap for cut shad for channels. I prefer a #6 treble for prepared stink baits. I no longer try for channel cats but can attest to the fact that ol Gato can catch 3-4# channels on a 8-10 o circle hook and giant gizzard shad! laugh
Saw it myself yesterday!
No need to overthink channel catting. Simple rigs work just fine! Good luck

Re: Novice question - 10/08/18 05:56 PM

Only time I catch a bunch of channel kitty is when I got my good buddy Littlefeather with me. The man is a bonified channel kitty magnet I tell ya!!! And yes, we caught a mess of channels on 8/0 yesterday... soldier
Posted By: serj5150

Re: Novice question - 10/08/18 06:15 PM

Originally Posted By: El Gato Azul
Only time I catch a bunch of channel kitty is when I got my good buddy Littlefeather with me. The man is a bonified channel kitty magnet I tell ya!!! And yes, we caught a mess of channels on 8/0 yesterday... soldier

roflmao...Remember LittleFeather we are going after Crappie..thats it no Channels loco_2 ...LOL!!!

Re: Novice question - 10/08/18 06:52 PM

Good thing “I” caught fish! banana

Serj, still waiting on you to call me from the dock saying you are ready!

Re: Novice question - 10/08/18 08:05 PM

Originally Posted By: Littlefeather
Good thing “I” caught fish! banana

Serj, still waiting on you to call me from the dock saying you are ready!

Tell the truth Littlefeather! I caught the 5 picture fish...

Re: Novice question - 10/08/18 08:22 PM

littlefeather, did you really mean a number 2 kale, or did you mean to say a 2/0?

Re: Novice question - 10/08/18 08:43 PM

We always called them a #2. Probably a 2 ought but each manufacturer size doesn’t always match the other. Even #1’s are fine. Just don’t load the gap full of bait so the hook has room to set. Same with circle hooks. Never fill the gap between the shank and the tip. If using dip/punch bait I’d advise little to no weight. If they don’t feel the sinker they’ll inhale a wad of any of the punch baits!

Gato- best haul I ever saw in one cast!

Re: Novice question - 10/08/18 08:49 PM

You have been very helpful. Really appreciate it..

Re: Novice question - 10/08/18 09:19 PM

You had me wondering about the hooks. You were correct in saying 2/0. At least Mustad calls them 2/0. I prefer the bleeding red hooks but cats don't really care. Here is a 2/0
Like I said, the 1/0 are just fine as well. Good luck and take pics of results
© 2024 Texas Fishing Forum