Texas Fishing Forum

Sonar screen shot Help?

Posted By: BigPoppa007

Sonar screen shot Help? - 10/07/18 07:35 AM

Helix 10, sensitivity on 10, Surface Clutter On 3, Clear Mode, Jigging mode On, ... 10 million 1” shad/minnows?

Posted By: RespectTheFish

Re: Sonar screen shot Help? - 10/07/18 05:36 PM

Throw a casting net and find out really quick lol??

IIf it is really windy out you will get a lot of stuff like that due to waves/air bubbles mixed in the water column. Likely bait fish but if it was windy could be interference from waves and such. The only way to tell is to throw a casting net one time.

Re: Sonar screen shot Help? - 10/07/18 08:11 PM

Yeah we were in the middle of a drift on that screenshot
but we had been throwing the net for two hours trying to catch bait and not catching nothing finally we got about a dozen little 2 inch shad in the net On screens like these - most must be even smaller -went through the net -we finally netted some carp and a few decent shad
Posted By: RespectTheFish

Re: Sonar screen shot Help? - 10/08/18 12:01 AM

Yep I bet they may have been the baby shad from the spring hatch. It can be challenging sometimes finding a good sized shad school to catch. Keep at it! Lol
Posted By: Capt. Michael Littlejohn

Re: Sonar screen shot Help? - 10/08/18 12:04 AM

Change ur sonar from 83/200 to straight 200 for clearer images and switch ur down imaging to 400khz for clearer pic, thumb

Re: Sonar screen shot Help? - 10/08/18 12:38 AM

Originally Posted By: Capt. Michael Littlejohn
Change ur sonar from 83/200 to straight 200 for clearer images and switch ur down imaging to 400khz for clearer pic, thumb

Thanks.
Posted By: Justin B

Re: Sonar screen shot Help? - 10/08/18 06:24 AM

Was this at night? And what is your ducer speed on?
Posted By: FishinTime

Re: Sonar screen shot Help? - 10/08/18 12:15 PM

Originally Posted By: Capt. Michael Littlejohn

tag. Thank-you

Re: Sonar screen shot Help? - 10/08/18 03:34 PM

Originally Posted By: Justin B
Was this at night? And what is your ducer speed on?

Ya at night - this was about 2 am - chart speed was on 1, we were drifting so .2-.4 mph.
Earlier when we were scanning for Bait at 2-3 mph with chart speed at 2-3 we had screens like this in several areas. We could see Tiny Shad/Minnows around the boat but can they Really be that many/that thick.?
We couldn’t Find Bigger Bait Schools/Balls- seemed Bigger Stuff was scattered. Tried shallow, mid depth and Deep. Finally netted a cpl small carp and a few 6” shad in 12-16’.
Posted By: Justin B

Re: Sonar screen shot Help? - 10/08/18 09:50 PM

I would say plankton especially since you were at night. I upgraded from a 5si to a 10si mega. When I drifted with the 5si I would set my speed like yours but now with the 10 mega I will set my speed at about 5-7 even when drifting. It gives a better return on what you are seeing. I know traditional theory is to match your speed but with these new units Im just not finding that as true. JMO
© 2024 Texas Fishing Forum