Texas Fishing Forum

Double hook rig

Posted By: catdub

Double hook rig - 10/02/18 02:50 AM

What are y'alls opinion on this rig I just did ?
Posted By: Caribou

Re: Double hook rig - 10/02/18 03:10 AM

For fishing 2 small baits? Or one huge bait?
Posted By: Ocelot

Re: Double hook rig - 10/02/18 03:12 AM

Unless using the second hook in the same bait, ie. 2 hooks in a large shad or perch, I would place the second hook at least a foot from the 1st one. If you have live bait, may want to put top hook on a loop of the leader to allow more room to swim around.
For the weight I use an egg sinker then a bead then a barrel or crane swivel. Tie the leader to other end of swivel. Advantage is if weight is on bottom, catfish can take out line without feeling the weight, just the drag from clicker, as line can pass through the egg sinker. You would get same affect by placing weight on main line above swivel, instead of attaching to a snap. I guess if want to be able to change weight could put a swivel/snap on main line then attach weight to snap. The bead protect the line from the egg sinker when it slides into the swivel which over time can wear on line even braid.

Re: Double hook rig - 10/02/18 03:26 AM

I was planning on using the two hook rig to bait up with two different liver sacks made with some big Vic bait netting i want to try this so I have a better chance of getting a catfish or maybe even 2 at a time
Posted By: sae

Re: Double hook rig - 10/02/18 11:43 AM

Give it a try I am interestd.
Posted By: jackiekennedyfishingguide

Re: Double hook rig - 10/02/18 01:36 PM

Twice the chance of getting hung up.
Posted By: K_Dean

Re: Double hook rig - 10/02/18 02:25 PM

I fished with El gato some this summer and he was testing a rig similar to this. Hooks were considerably further apart. He made a post on it. Im sure hell see this and respond. But we caught fish on the bait that was higher in the water column more than the other when we went.
Posted By: Ocelot

Re: Double hook rig - 10/02/18 02:43 PM

While still allowing line to slide through weight sitting on bottom you can tie a small piece of pool noodle to the last hook to raise the 2 baits off the bottom. Just be sure large enough to float 1 or both baits and not so large lifts up the weight.
Saw this trick used for jug lines but would work in this case also.
Posted By: 🍀El Gato Azul🍀

Re: Double hook rig - 10/02/18 03:47 PM

Originally Posted By: K Johnson
I fished with El gato some this summer and he was testing a rig similar to this. Hooks were considerably further apart. He made a post on it. Im sure hell see this and respond. But we caught fish on the bait that was higher in the water column more than the other when we went.

We were fishing suspended fish Kyle. The rig was a long leader Santee Rig. Our bait were floated 8 ft of the bottom on the top hook and another hook 2 ft off the bottom. The rig we were running that day is only productive when the blue kittys suspend though. Cat dub is using his for channel kittys which I dont target.
Posted By: Caribou

Re: Double hook rig - 10/02/18 03:52 PM

Heres my semi-educated opinion. Lots of guys here forgotten more about catfish than Ive ever known, but. When fishing with a bait that has a strong scent (punch bait, liver, etc...) if they are going to bite, they are going to bite. I dont think having 2 baits that close together will double your chances of catching fish. Youre MUCH better off fishing with 2 rods with baits in separate areas that one rod with 2 hooks IMO.
Posted By: JJ4MEL

Re: Double hook rig - 10/02/18 04:34 PM

Originally Posted By: jackiekennedyfishingguide
Twice the chance of getting hung up.

Yep and tangles. I tried this type of rig once just to have a 12 inch channel cat get snagged on the 2nd hook, spin around a few times just to have a tangled, slimy mess.
Posted By: Uncle Zeek

Re: Double hook rig - 10/02/18 04:35 PM

That's how you rig herring when fishing the Pacific northwest for salmon, halibut, etc. Very useful if using a single large shad or strip of cut bait that you want to have "swimming" in current. Use the front hook through the nose to get that action, and then have the trailing stinger hook hanging out the tail. Have used a similar setup for big blue cats once in awhile with some success.

But I'm not so sure that I would bother using this rig with two baits on the leader.

Re: Double hook rig - 10/02/18 11:11 PM

Great idea but what if I use a 3 inch peg float instead
Posted By: mjmetro0719

Re: Double hook rig - 10/04/18 03:16 AM

I experimented with it earlier this year hooking two hooks onto one large piece of bait and I injured two fish. Im catch and release only. They inhaled the bait and the bottom hook was down deep in there mouth and it was very difficult to get the circle hook out. After it happened to the second fish I stopped using it. Like mentioned earlier give it a try and see if it helps you.
Posted By: jackiekennedyfishingguide

Re: Double hook rig - 10/04/18 11:09 AM

Comming up with all this new stuff? Theres nothing new in fishing and it has all been performed many times long ago, way before your or my time.
Posted By: spazm09

Re: Double hook rig - 10/08/18 06:38 PM

Personally, I think the hooks are entirely took close together.

As I've mentioned in past posts, a lot of catfishermen seem to focus too much on the rig or baits they're using and instead should be more focused on actually finding the fish. Dwelling on bait is kind of pointless when there are no fish around; doesn't matter which bait is used when there aren't any fish to be caught. Seems to me that having a second liver sac a foot away from the other isn't going to help that much, though I could be wrong.

With that being said, I DO see a benefit in increasing the number of baits you have in the water. But I personally would rather set out more poles and space them apart to cover a larger area. If you do wanna use 2 hooks on one pole, I would space them out 2-3ft minimum; and maybe try 2 different baits until you figure out what they're liking that day.
© 2024 Texas Fishing Forum