Texas Fishing Forum

Drift fishing: How many rods?

Posted By: WillieRip

Drift fishing: How many rods? - 08/04/18 12:26 AM

My mom found some of my day's old rods. Two or three should make descent drift cat rods. How many rods do you typically run? Keep in mind, that I live in Alabama, and we don't have restrictions on the number of rods.

I also plan to build a few drifting rods.
Posted By: steveiam

Re: Drift fishing: How many rods? - 08/04/18 02:06 AM

Damon I used to use 6-8 for a while, I usually go with 3 or 4 now-
Just less hassle for me, I guess it just got to be more trouble than the possible increase in bites-
Posted By: BigPoppa007

Re: Drift fishing: How many rods? - 08/04/18 02:09 AM

I drift 6-8 off the side if by myself and 10 if someone is with me

Posted By: mjmetro0719

Re: Drift fishing: How many rods? - 08/04/18 04:25 AM

I usually fish with six
Posted By: 🍀El Gato Azul🍀

Re: Drift fishing: How many rods? - 08/04/18 11:23 AM

I drift with 7 out the side and I also like to run a vertical rod or 2. When I drift out the back I run 6 long lines and a vertical rod or 2. I usually run a couple of planer boards on my outside rods. This keeps me plenty busy but still very easy to manage when solo. When they are biting good its impossible to keep up. Its a ton of fun trying though!
Posted By: Littlefeather

Re: Drift fishing: How many rods? - 08/04/18 01:27 PM

6-7 Rods when drifting.
Im wanting to do some rod building too! Please video your exploits in the craft. Im anxious to see!
Posted By: serj5150

Re: Drift fishing: How many rods? - 08/04/18 02:12 PM

I drift with 6 on one side and sometimes 2 vertical on the other.
Posted By: Justin B

Re: Drift fishing: How many rods? - 08/04/18 06:49 PM

10 out of the side and 6-8 out of the back
Posted By: WillieRip

Re: Drift fishing: How many rods? - 08/04/18 10:19 PM

So you fellas drift broadside to the wind/current?
Posted By: Littlefeather

Re: Drift fishing: How many rods? - 08/04/18 11:08 PM

I like to side drift when winds are light. I generally use a drift sock or two. When its rough and windy I drift out the back dragging multiple drift socks to control speed.
Posted By: BigPoppa007

Re: Drift fishing: How many rods? - 08/04/18 11:23 PM

Originally Posted By: WillieRip
So you fellas drift broadside to the wind/current?

yup but we dont have current..........
Posted By: Fishin' Nut

Re: Drift fishing: How many rods? - 08/06/18 02:29 PM

On the Tennessee, if I am fishing below G Dam, I drift three off the stern. The two outside rods are my long lines and the center one I short cast or drop it vertically just off the bottom. The center one actually catches more fish. I guess that's because it is the first one the cats find.

If I'm further downstream, I put out drift socks to drift broadside and fish 4 rods. It also depends on how much water is being released. Anything over 30k and I just fish from the stern only.

If I actually fish the lake, I always use drift socks and fish four rods. I alternate between long and short casts. Seems I have fewer lines crossed/tangled when I do it that way.
© 2024 Texas Fishing Forum