Texas Fishing Forum

Rusty Hooks

Posted By: spazm09

Rusty Hooks - 06/05/18 04:28 PM

I recently did some spring cleaning on my patio and found a box of big circle hooks left over from last year's shark fishing trip in South Carolina. They are a little rusty and I was wondering what I could do to get them cleaned up and ready for use. For anything else I would use WD40 to clean off rust but that doesn't seem like a good idea on a fishing hook. Would just giving them a good wipe down with a wet cloth be good enough? Should I just toss them? Thoughts?
Posted By: Drawout

Re: Rusty Hooks - 06/05/18 05:30 PM

Idk if its true or not but I've actually heard wd40 attracts fish.
Posted By: cactusrat

Re: Rusty Hooks - 06/05/18 05:36 PM

Steel wool them, sharpen the points, and coat them with vegetable base oil. Store them in a jar.

Re: Rusty Hooks - 06/05/18 05:38 PM

Thanks for the response but I'm 99.9% certain that is a myth.
Posted By: Catfish Lynn

Re: Rusty Hooks - 06/06/18 03:19 AM

At Lowes, they have some stuff, I think put out by WD40, that you either use full strengthy or dilute. It notes that it gets rid of rust. You soak it, as to time, according to how bad the rust is. Rinse off & dry. I bought some about 1.5 years ago to use it on tools. I have been seriously thinking of using it on some of my non stainless steel hooks to see if it will bring them back to life. As long as the barb has not deteriorated, they should turn out OK. It was about $26 a gallon in the Tool section here in Bryan at Lowes.

Re: Rusty Hooks - 06/06/18 03:22 AM

Yes, I have heard some old timers used to spray a tad of WD40 on their bait & keep a can handy in their tackle box.
Posted By: Briansz

Re: Rusty Hooks - 06/06/18 04:06 AM

You can accomplish the same thing with some vinegar and salt for a couple bucks. I just brought back a Starrett 12" metal scale using that method. You rinse in baking soda water when done. It of course does not get rid of etching/pitting, but it does get rid of rust. Lots of info on the web......
Posted By: glert42

Re: Rusty Hooks - 06/06/18 12:47 PM

I actually spray wd40 on my crappie jigs every so often while I am fishing. Seems to up my catch rate when I do or get them hitting when they are being stubborn. WD40 = good fishing!
Posted By: redchevy

Re: Rusty Hooks - 06/06/18 04:48 PM

I would sharpen the points and let them be. light rust on the bend and shank of the hook will help keep your bait on. Just touch up the hook points.

Re: Rusty Hooks - 06/06/18 05:29 PM

To be clear, these hooks have never been used. I would think the points are fine, but I'll take a look tonight.
Posted By: redchevy

Re: Rusty Hooks - 06/06/18 09:07 PM

The hook points tend to rust in my experience and not be as sharp is why I suggest to sharpen them.
Posted By: uncle_bagster

Re: Rusty Hooks - 06/06/18 10:05 PM

I'd just buy some new hooks. Why take a chance on a bigun getting away? I lost a good catfish just this year after straightening a hook that had been bent.
Posted By: Jake Blood

Re: Rusty Hooks - 06/07/18 05:10 PM

Originally Posted By: uncle_bagster
I'd just buy some new hooks. Why take a chance on a bigun getting away? I lost a good catfish just this year after straightening a hook that had been bent.

Agree. My tournament partner tied on a rusty hook he pulled out of the cup holder in my boat and caught a 3 pounder and it broke the hook just as I was netting. For that reason I would not chance it, but that is up to you. Rust is a form of corrosion that weakens the metal.
Posted By: sae

Re: Rusty Hooks - 06/07/18 05:51 PM

Mama told me a rusty hook will give you lock jaw?
Posted By: Txmedic033

Re: Rusty Hooks - 06/08/18 02:58 AM

Vinegar and an ultrasonic cleaner will do wonders. I buy my hooks from China off of Ebay and toss the rusted ones.
Posted By: Sumfish

Re: Rusty Hooks - 06/09/18 03:17 PM

Had hooks snap in half that have a tiny rust spot on the shank, mostly 6/0 EC stainless.

Re: Rusty Hooks - 06/10/18 05:55 PM

I have had 5/0 Eagle Claw SS O'Shaunessy hooks that were on lines that got swept away by the flooding Navasota River, and find & retrieve most one to 3 years later. The SS hooks still looks super clean & ever so bright, as if brand new still (no sign of rust or bronzing). However, obviously the minerals in the water or mud, does something to the metal. If you have or eventually get a slightly bent hook, it will snap (as if brittle) easily if you try to straighten it out. So SS is not forever.
© 2024 Texas Fishing Forum