Texas Fishing Forum

whats the best chicken breast recipes for catfish bait ?

Posted By: SunUpSunDown

whats the best chicken breast recipes for catfish bait ? - 05/28/18 11:16 PM

I been hearing other catfishermen talking about soaking chicken breast or dark meat chicken ,or hearts ,or gizards in koolaid , garlic powder or garlic in a jar , dead red spray from team catfish , and anise oil . Just wondering whats your favorite recipe and how long are yall soaking the meat before you use it ? I fish central TX , dont think it matters that much , but before I go all out and spend money just wanted to know how yall do it .
Thank you for your info !
Posted By: G Love

Re: whats the best chicken breast recipes for catfish bait ? - 05/29/18 02:24 PM

Soak the chicken in a homemade marinade, dust it with reload rub, grill the chicken and eat it, then catch Shad to catch Catfish with.
Posted By: 🍀El Gato Azul🍀

Re: whats the best chicken breast recipes for catfish bait ? - 05/29/18 04:15 PM

Originally Posted By: G Love
Soak the chicken in a homemade marinade, dust it with reload rub, grill the chicken and eat it, then catch Shad to catch Catfish with.

Lmao! GLove + pollo = grill
Dont forget to add some sugar to that package of cool-aid cuz you are gonna be thirsty after eatin that chicken!! texas
Posted By: tgravley aka lewisvillecatfish

Re: whats the best chicken breast recipes for catfish bait ? - 05/29/18 04:30 PM

Might soak it over nite in Mexican vanilla. Keep it simple!!! Most scents are for the fisherman not the fish. Teal, baby ducks etc dont have a scent you can buy.
Posted By: Briansz

Re: whats the best chicken breast recipes for catfish bait ? - 05/30/18 03:12 PM

I slice my chicken breast up into bait-sized strips and soak it at least overnight in tupperware in the fridge, the longer the better. At some point (days or maybe even weeks) the meat will absorb the marinade through-and-through. In my purely unscientific opinion, it seems like the old saturated meat does better than the freshly soaked stuff (where only the outside is red).

I just do two packs of koolaid, about the same amount of garlic powder, and then fill the tupperware about 2/3 with chicken. Add water to just below the top, pop the lid on and shake to mix everything up, let it mellow.
Posted By: Blues

Re: whats the best chicken breast recipes for catfish bait ? - 05/30/18 03:46 PM

Eat the chicken, fish with Shad, perch, carp, etc
Posted By: Bluecatkayak

Re: whats the best chicken breast recipes for catfish bait ? - 05/30/18 03:58 PM

Originally Posted By: Blues
Eat the chicken, fish with Shad, perch, carp, etc

What he said! If you are gonna soak some because you need it in a pinch, I always use the Team Catfish dead red blood spray to soak em in.
Posted By: ChuChu1

Re: whats the best chicken breast recipes for catfish bait ? - 05/30/18 04:19 PM

Eat the chicken, buy you a bucket of punch bait.
Posted By: Bownut

Re: whats the best chicken breast recipes for catfish bait ? - 06/01/18 10:03 AM

I soaked some breasts in dead red overnight and did very well back in early February. Of course, I didnt have any shad. It will work fine in a pinch for bait. And easy to catch bait. Good luck.
Posted By: SunUpSunDown

Re: whats the best chicken breast recipes for catfish bait ? - 06/01/18 12:31 PM

Just wanted to say thanks for the info going to try I'll let you know how I did. Thanks again for the help.
Posted By: FishinTime

Re: whats the best chicken breast recipes for catfish bait ? - 06/01/18 04:19 PM

Chicken breast soaked overnight in Dead Red. I'm 5' 10" and 285 pounds to give you an idea of the Blues size. Caught on Tawakoni. Sorry about the sideway pics.

Posted By: KQT

Re: whats the best chicken breast recipes for catfish bait ? - 06/01/18 08:46 PM

I seam to do better in cooler months using dead red. If I use chicken in the summer I use clam juice if the lake Im fishing has clams/mussels
Posted By: KQT

Re: whats the best chicken breast recipes for catfish bait ? - 06/01/18 08:47 PM

Seem spell check
Posted By: Catfish Lynn

Re: whats the best chicken breast recipes for catfish bait ? - 06/03/18 03:52 AM

As to one catch by Dave with chicken breast soaked in Dead Red, see the thread "Jug Fishing Bait". I just posted a few notes there, plus a link to a late 2016 post by Dave with a few notes & pics.

Also, one note that I did not mention in the other thread, is that this is setting jugs out in deeper waters, not real shallow where turtles are, as they & small channels will clean your lines for sure.
Posted By: Catfish Lynn

Re: whats the best chicken breast recipes for catfish bait ? - 06/04/18 07:00 AM

I just posted more on Chicken breast in "Jug Fishing Bait" thread, because somebody asked me a few questions. Hopefully that will help.
Posted By: steveiam

Re: whats the best chicken breast recipes for catfish bait ? - 06/04/18 10:27 PM

I have come to no longer use chicken breast, I only use drumsticks or thighs now, and have caught channel, blues, AND 3 flathead using thighs and drumsticks-
All three of the flathead were out of the brazos for some reason -
I have used dead red but really didnt notice a difference -
Posted By: spazm09

Re: whats the best chicken breast recipes for catfish bait ? - 06/05/18 02:16 PM

Originally Posted By: steveiam
I have come to no longer use chicken breast, I only use drumsticks or thighs now, and have caught channel, blues, AND 3 flathead using thighs and drumsticks-

Why do you no longer use chicken breast? Just cause the drumstick n thighs are cheaper?
Posted By: steveiam

Re: whats the best chicken breast recipes for catfish bait ? - 06/05/18 03:11 PM

Originally Posted By: spazm09
Originally Posted By: steveiam

Why do you no longer use chicken breast? Just cause the drumstick n thighs are cheaper?

Yes sir, And seems to stay on the hook better for me, maybe thats because of the skin on-
But once I found that the cheaper cuts work about the same I just spend less for the bait-
Posted By: spazm09

Re: whats the best chicken breast recipes for catfish bait ? - 06/05/18 03:27 PM

Yeah I don't blame you. I just base it on what's available at the store. But I don't use chicken all that often anyways.

Back to the OP, I like to buy a tub or 2 of chicken liver and soak the chicken in the blood/juice from those tubs. I go ahead and cut the chicken into the size pieces I want, throw them in a container and dump the tubs in. Then you're ready to go.
© 2024 Texas Fishing Forum