Texas Fishing Forum

Best baits/rigs for pond with kids?

Posted By: Too Fat 2 Fish

Best baits/rigs for pond with kids? - 04/15/18 03:59 PM

I don't fish for cats much and looking for some help. Going fishing with a couple of kids on a pond, recently stocked with adult cat. What do I need to take? worms, dough bait, what else? What are best ways to rig up? Thanks
Posted By: Too Fat 2 Fish

Re: Best baits/rigs for pond with kids? - 04/15/18 04:30 PM

we'll be fishing from bank, not much cover in water
Posted By: BroIncarnate

Re: Best baits/rigs for pond with kids? - 04/16/18 05:32 AM

Hey! So I fish the stocked ponds in TX all of the time when lazy and don't feel like driving to the lake-- I use the following and limit out every time. I will start with works best for us, in order from "best" to "still works"-
1. Chicken Liver/Chicken Blood nuggets from "Magic Bait"-- I NEVER use these at lakes, but they kill on a 2/0-3/0 circle hook (some use trebles for these but if you use circles, they hook themselves) - Make sure to check bait every 10 mins or so as they can fall off
2. Chicken Liver or Chicken Hearts (both can be purchased at wal mart and are DEAD cheap-- hearts stay on hooks better)
3. Hot Dogs with STRAWBERRY jello(large pack) --- cut the hot dogs into 1 1/2 inch slices and soak them in that overnight in a ziplock-- it hardens them up and puts a lot of animal fat on them-- works great!!

GOOD LUCK!!!
Posted By: BankAngler81

Re: Best baits/rigs for pond with kids? - 04/16/18 10:51 AM

Dip bait on team catfish furry thang hooks rigged on a santee cooper rig worked great for me last time. You have to rebait often but puts a lot of scent in the area. Hot dogs as stated above. Nightcrawlers will definitely catch you something, but might not be catfish. Not sure how the kids would feel about it, but live sunfish caught from that pond on a slip sinker rig could get you a big cat. You could catch the sunfish on the nightcrawlers.
Posted By: Mckinneycrappiecatcher

Re: Best baits/rigs for pond with kids? - 04/16/18 05:00 PM

I personally would try some live bait for the adult cats, minnows, goldfish, bluegill are all good choices
Posted By: Robby E

Re: Best baits/rigs for pond with kids? - 04/16/18 11:11 PM

When are you going I have some punch bait and rigs I can give you that will do the trick. Message me if interested.
© 2024 Texas Fishing Forum