Texas Fishing Forum

Best catfish sinker type ?

Posted By: Catfanman

Best catfish sinker type ? - 03/22/18 11:32 PM

What is y'alls favorite catfish sinker for bank fishing a lake for example is It pyramid,no roll,bell , disk sinker or bank sinkers
Posted By: Magged Out

Re: Best catfish sinker type ? - 03/22/18 11:38 PM

Posted By: Cjohle

Re: Best catfish sinker type ? - 03/23/18 01:49 PM

+1 Magged Out
No roll all the way.
Posted By: slabcrazy

Re: Best catfish sinker type ? - 03/23/18 03:26 PM

No roll all the way.
Posted By: DEERSTRANGLER�

Re: Best catfish sinker type ? - 03/23/18 09:35 PM

No roll
Posted By: trophy_chaser

Re: Best catfish sinker type ? - 03/24/18 02:03 AM

bank fishing=bank sinker- 4-5 oz.
Posted By: BankAngler81

Re: Best catfish sinker type ? - 03/24/18 02:05 PM

I use 3oz disk sinkers in snaggy areas. When wind & current are high I use 3oz breakaway surf sinkers. This is on my 8ft ugly sticks.
Posted By: psycho0819

Re: Best catfish sinker type ? - 03/25/18 04:56 PM

2-3oz no-roll.
Posted By: texdanm

Re: Best catfish sinker type ? - 03/29/18 02:14 AM

I've started using bank sinkers that I have put on my anvil and flattened out. They cast good and seem to hold well without getting stuck on stuff. I did this at first because bank sinkers are cheaper and easier to find in the sizes I like but now am using them because I really like them.

I also do the same with egg sinkers. I put a rod in them before I flatten them then pull it out. I first did this when I was catfishing in a small creek using light spinning gear and wanted some 3/8 and 1/2 oz no roll sinkers. They worked fine so I just started doing it to all sizes. The stores around here just don't carry a good assortment of weights. they are so fixated on bass tackle that catfish stuff is just sort of an after thought.
Posted By: Monkeypuncher

Re: Best catfish sinker type ? - 03/29/18 03:29 AM

I would think you would want something flat for better casting. Lately I’ve been making my own dragging weights for use while drifting.
Posted By: crapicat

Re: Best catfish sinker type ? - 03/29/18 12:01 PM

Originally Posted By: texdanm
I've started using bank sinkers that I have put on my anvil and flattened out. They cast good and seem to hold well without getting stuck on stuff. I did this at first because bank sinkers are cheaper and easier to find in the sizes I like but now am using them because I really like them.

I also do the same with egg sinkers. I put a rod in them before I flatten them then pull it out. I first did this when I was catfishing in a small creek using light spinning gear and wanted some 3/8 and 1/2 oz no roll sinkers. They worked fine so I just started doing it to all sizes. The stores around here just don't carry a good assortment of weights. they are so fixated on bass tackle that catfish stuff is just sort of an after thought.

I agree with these comments...and sometimes must make my own equipment.

I do like the no rolls for most fishing situations, but not all.
Posted By: serj5150

Re: Best catfish sinker type ? - 03/29/18 02:07 PM

Originally Posted by Monkeypuncher
I would think you would want something flat for better casting. Lately I’ve been making my own dragging weights for use while drifting.

MonkeyPuncher maybe this can help you.
Posted By: brazman

Re: Best catfish sinker type ? - 03/29/18 08:13 PM

My table vice is about to see some action this weekend; great idea on flattening those cheap sinkers into a no-roll shape.

I have a bulk pack of 1oz pyramid sinkers that I might try and flatten a bit, too.
Posted By: Trunkful

Re: Best catfish sinker type ? - 03/30/18 08:37 PM

School me on the no-roll..... thanks
Posted By: Monkeypuncher

Re: Best catfish sinker type ? - 03/31/18 12:57 PM

Originally Posted by serj5150
Originally Posted by Monkeypuncher

MonkeyPuncher maybe this can help you.

Thanks serj, I saw Teri making the paracord weights, I’m gonna try that next. I tried the eggsinkers and beads vs. no roll, lost 2 rigs with the egg sinker draggin weights, no rolls I was able to unsnag.
© 2024 Texas Fishing Forum