Texas Fishing Forum

Current catfish depth

Posted By: Prizefighter

Current catfish depth - 02/28/18 04:09 PM

At what depth are catfish most likely to be at in 60-65 degree water? Cherry angler here. I've done very little catfishing and I wanted to give jug lines a try. Still trying to decide if I'm going to do that or go crappie fishing this weekend. I've been having some success with crappie but I really want to catch some Cats!
Posted By: Ol' Green Top

Re: Current catfish depth - 02/28/18 04:57 PM

I think you'd get 100 different answers on where the fish are as far as depth right now. they are everywhere. My personal suggestion to you would be stay after the crappie if you've been having good success catching them, and wait until it warms up a bit more on the catfish.
Posted By: kodys'papa

Re: Current catfish depth - 02/28/18 05:00 PM

Eaters should be shallow on most lakes with all the flooded grass. If you can find some current, fish there.
Posted By: Sluggo

Re: Current catfish depth - 02/28/18 08:39 PM

ON the bottom banana roflmao taz
Posted By: Capt. Michael Littlejohn

Re: Current catfish depth - 03/01/18 12:05 AM

Fish 5ft and less
Posted By: Briansz

Re: Current catfish depth - 03/02/18 06:37 PM

I got a couple eater blues at Twok last Sunday fishing cut perch off our point on a Carolina rig with a float a few inches above the hook.

~50 yards or more from the bank would put the depth with high water at 6-8 feet on a mud flat. It was a slow day. No strikes on a couple rods with bait fished a couple feet under corks, no strikes on live perch or garlic koolaid chicken breast. No strikes closer to shore, no strikes in the back of the cove. I did miss a couple takedowns. Since the smaller blue I caught couldn't fit the 8/0 in his mouth (I barely snagged him behind the eye setting the hook) I'm assuming the ones I missed might have been smaller eaters too.

© 2024 Texas Fishing Forum