Texas Fishing Forum

Trapping bream for bait

Posted By: boatner

Trapping bream for bait - 02/18/18 09:57 PM

It's easy to catch bream with line and pole, and sometimes fun enough. But these days I'd like to drop a trap while I get the boat ready and so forth.

Any of you use a trap for bream, if so what pointers can you share?
Posted By: sae

Re: Trapping bream for bait - 02/18/18 10:25 PM

Near brush,dockcattail or rock.they need a plac to hide.I use dollar store can of catfood ,small and
a couple of pieces of bread or rolls.they are bot pickey.It helps to throw out a little bait any time you can to keep them around.water was too cold at my dock today [ 50.2 6ft of water] NADA.
Posted By: taterpop

Re: Trapping bream for bait - 02/18/18 10:32 PM

Do you have a pond a private place to trap? If so start feeding them a little every few days after that you can feed then cast net a few as they come up for the food. I use the cheapest dog food you can buy or some old outdated bread from the bread thrift store. Also you can make you or buy a square clover leaf perch trap and float it on top of the water with a pool noodle and through your food right in the center of the floating trap. They will find there way in the trap a lot faster.

Re: Trapping bream for bait - 02/19/18 01:40 AM

What trap do you use?

Re: Trapping bream for bait - 02/19/18 01:41 AM

I'm not on private water so I have to follow TPWD's rules -- maximum 1"x3" throat.
Posted By: taterpop

Re: Trapping bream for bait - 02/19/18 03:52 PM

I don't know how your local Game Warden would feel about a trap in public waters.
Posted By: Txmedic033

Re: Trapping bream for bait - 02/19/18 05:12 PM

Originally Posted By: taterpop
I don't know how your local Game Warden would feel about a trap in public waters.

As long as he uses a gear tag it doesn't matter how they feel. It's perfectly legal. I have had at least 4 traps stolen before so be careful who sees you put it out. They work best if they sit overnight.

Re: Trapping bream for bait - 02/19/18 06:18 PM

Yup. The TPWD rules are clear that a trap for non-game fish is legal, given size restrictions (and, of course, a gear tag)
Posted By: Sluggo

Re: Trapping bream for bait - 02/19/18 06:34 PM

Boatner, I use a Frabill 18'' x 12'' Pinfish trap. search at Academy. about $30 also was told use white Styrofoam for bait. which worked. I also use hotdogs, & etc. just about anything will work. crawfish like the Hot dogs. Hope this helps.
Posted By: FishTheBite

Re: Trapping bream for bait - 02/23/18 10:41 PM

Styrofoam works for bait. Why use anything else? Just run a piece of string through it and then tie the other end to the bottom of the trap letting it float in the center of the trap. Bingo, your traps are always baited and ready to go. And you never make a mess in the boat.
© 2024 Texas Fishing Forum