Texas Fishing Forum

Stunted Catfish

Posted By: CoryK

Stunted Catfish - 01/25/18 04:21 PM

Does anyone know - if you have catfish in a tank that appear to be stunted or on their way to being stunted, can you reverse the process with supplemental feeding? And if so, can someone direct me as to how much, how often, etc. The tank is about 2 acres. Or am I going down the wrong road?
Posted By: jmh004

Re: Stunted Catfish - 01/25/18 04:24 PM

I would start pulling fish out of the pond as well as the supplemental feeding. A pond can only carry so many fish, just like a pasture can only carry so many cows.
Posted By: erittmueller

Re: Stunted Catfish - 01/25/18 04:39 PM

Rough estimate for pond volume is around 600lbs of total fish per acre. If it's just bass and gills the split ends up being around 200 bass/400 gills. If the pond reaches close to max volume you'll have fish stunt cause they can only get enough food to stay alive but not enough to grow. A 5 pound fish needs about an additional pound above "survivable" level to grow about another pound in weight over that year...

If you add food it will defiantly help but after 1-2-3 years you will still end up with stunted fish just more of them. For best results combine feeding with removing small and medium sized fish. Keeping fish is also cheaper, more fun, and provides catfish fillets!!!!

Eric
© 2024 Texas Fishing Forum