Texas Fishing Forum

LBJ Grasslands

Posted By: Gann434

LBJ Grasslands - 01/13/18 04:32 PM

Recently moved to Wise County and ventured out to the grasslands yesterday looking around for places to camp and what not, while I was out there I noticed a few small lakes/ponds. Have any of y'all had any luck fishing out there, or would I be wasting my time wetting a line out there?
Posted By: MacD

Re: LBJ Grasslands - 01/14/18 08:35 PM

You can catch fish out there.
Posted By: dieselpower97

Re: LBJ Grasslands - 01/15/18 02:42 PM

there a lot of small ponds out there, we have had best luck and clear lake and Black creek, some people like cotton wood. catfish, bass and pan fish, is what we normally caught. couple places charge per car/pick up. but cheap. get you a good map of up there. the office is just north of Hwy 380 on Hwy 287, on east side of the road, the map is like $10, best money you spend, and they answer any questions they have. there 20,000 acres up there to enjoy. it a Great place, I think

Re: LBJ Grasslands - 01/16/18 04:35 PM

Already bought the map, and I agree it is a great use of money. I went out driving through a bunch of the sections looking for places that I could fish but also set up camp either in the same place or relatively close, and Ive gotta admit, Cottonwood Lake has caught my attention big time, but Clear Lake didn't look bad at all. Drove by Black Creek, the lake itself looked good, just didn't like how they didn't have campsites literally right at the waters edge, unless I just missed them
Originally Posted By: dieselpower97
there a lot of small ponds out there, we have had best luck and clear lake and Black creek, some people like cotton wood. catfish, bass and pan fish, is what we normally caught. couple places charge per car/pick up. but cheap. get you a good map of up there. the office is just north of Hwy 380 on Hwy 287, on east side of the road, the map is like $10, best money you spend, and they answer any questions they have. there 20,000 acres up there to enjoy. it a Great place, I think
Posted By: dieselpower97

Re: LBJ Grasslands - 01/17/18 04:26 PM

I do not think they have campsites, you just set up camp where you want, that I have seen, yes there are some fire rings that people camp by, but I seen them set up tents by the water edge too, along the dam. also look on the back side of black creek and clear lake, they have roads that go back there close to the water edge, seen people camp back there too. if you got a boat, put in one place and go to another place on the lake to camp. enjoy it up there.
Posted By: Muzzlebrake

Re: LBJ Grasslands - 01/17/18 05:05 PM

When I used to coon hunt up there with my dad most people were catching catfish in the little muddy lake on the other side of the road east of Cottonwood. It's about 1/4 mile east and you used to be able to drive almost to it. If'n I was after cats those are the two I would be targeting. We never hunted much over around black lake. Too many people over there.

Re: LBJ Grasslands - 01/18/18 03:15 AM

I think I know which little one your talking about, it might be "Little Cottonwood" which is right across the dam road for Cottonwood Lake, but yes they both look quite promising. Plan on camping and fishing out there once the weather warms up a tad bit
Originally Posted By: Muzzlebrake
When I used to coon hunt up there with my dad most people were catching catfish in the little muddy lake on the other side of the road east of Cottonwood. It's about 1/4 mile east and you used to be able to drive almost to it. If'n I was after cats those are the two I would be targeting. We never hunted much over around black lake. Too many people over there.
Posted By: SC-001

Re: LBJ Grasslands - 01/18/18 03:02 PM

Place is dangerous during deer season with all the gunfire.
Posted By: Dan90210 ☮

Re: LBJ Grasslands - 01/19/18 01:55 PM

Originally Posted By: Bossbowman
Place is dangerous during deer season with all the gunfire.

Just dont wear your deer costume and you should be fine.
© 2024 Texas Fishing Forum