Texas Fishing Forum

Oak Trees and Mistletoe

Posted By: Spiderman

Oak Trees and Mistletoe - 10/20/22 12:06 AM

If you have any large trees with mistletoe and want to get rid of it.

Go to Lowes and get a couple of bags of pelletized Lime and hand broadcast around the trunk to about 30’ away from the tree.

In about six months you will notice the mistletoe has all disappeared.

Learned this by adding lime to the grass in the yard for ph. Side benefit was the mistletoe disappeared from the trees.
Posted By: Kattelyn

Re: Oak Trees and Mistletoe - 10/20/22 12:32 AM

Dude I seriously didn’t know that.
Posted By: Derek 🐝

Re: Oak Trees and Mistletoe - 10/20/22 01:04 AM

What was your soil Ph from your test where your needed to lime for a Ph correction? Granted you're in ETX, but a generic lime recommendation/application in NTX/STX is a horrible idea to raise the soil Ph even more. Soil Ph's are mostly well over 7 in that I-45 swath and West. If you were super low on Ph/calcium and it helped balanced out and the improved the tree health I could see it. If you're in the mostly high Ph areas applying an "acid" to bring down that Ph is your friend. Being just outside DFW there is not a chance in hell I would ever apply limestone to my landscape. I'm trying to get of what I've got now.
Posted By: Spiderman

Re: Oak Trees and Mistletoe - 11/12/22 01:02 PM

Didn’t know the soil ph but the grass root structure and overall appearance was a lot better this year than in the past.

St Augustine and Centipede. Sprinkler system uses lake water so the yard is pretty good already, no chemicals.

I’ve been maintaining the same yard and grass here for 20 years now.
Posted By: Derek 🐝

Re: Oak Trees and Mistletoe - 11/16/22 04:13 AM

Spiderman I didn't mean to come off as an ahole or strong if I did. If you've been able to maintain Centipede like you've done then you're in a low Ph area. Most of TX is high PH. So, throwing a Ph raiser on top of already high soil Ph makes no sense. We would want to throw down "acids" to get it where the Ph is from upper 7's to 6.5ish. Not an easy task. You liming probably raised the Ph a bit and increased the ability for root uptake of NPK/Mircos and improved the overall tree health. You lime in a high Ph soil with calcium on top of calcium is a disaster. You should get a soil test. It will tell you what type of lime to use too. I would love to see it the results. Bet you could run a 21-0-0 or 46-0-0. Maybe a 1-0-1. I would love that.
© 2024 Texas Fishing Forum