Texas Fishing Forum

Red Oak Leaves

Posted By: Flip-n-go

Red Oak Leaves - 06/16/21 01:00 AM

My Red Oak is dropping individual leaves, not loads, but enough to partially cover the sidewalk & driveway. It seems kind of odd, maybe normal, I just don't recall it doing this in previous years. Curious if anyone else's Red Oak is dropping leaves too. This old tree sure provides alot of shade so I'd hate to lose it.
Posted By: COFF

Re: Red Oak Leaves - 06/16/21 01:43 AM

My first question normally would be concerning water. But I would have thought this year it would be okay even if you'd never turned your sprinklers on.

Re: Red Oak Leaves - 06/16/21 02:00 AM

I know. Maybe it drowned? They're releasing @ the stem end, no sign of insect cuts. The tree that keeps giving leaves! hammer
Posted By: Trickster

Re: Red Oak Leaves - 06/16/21 03:50 PM

I have 2 large Red Oaks and they are not dropping leaves.
Posted By: lakeforkfisherman

Re: Red Oak Leaves - 06/16/21 04:22 PM

Mine are dropping leaves like yours. No insect cuts, just clean break like a budding leaf pushed the old one out. I think its because of the substantial rain we’ve had. I notice a lot of new growth on the tips of my oak. It’s 50+ years old.
Posted By: Texan Til I Die

Re: Red Oak Leaves - 06/16/21 04:58 PM

Could also be fallout from the freeze. An article I read (think it was from A&M) said it could take several years for the oaks to completely overcome the stress from the cold weather.
Posted By: Bandit 200 XP

Re: Red Oak Leaves - 06/17/21 11:58 AM

I have one and it looks good

Re: Red Oak Leaves - 06/19/21 12:50 AM

Originally Posted by lakeforkfisherman
Mine are dropping leaves like yours. No insect cuts, just clean break like a budding leaf pushed the old one out. I think its because of the substantial rain we’ve had. I notice a lot of new growth on the tips of my oak. It’s 50+ years old.

Looking @ mine & see new growth also. Mine's pretty old too, I think it's probably ok.
Posted By: Bandit 200 XP

Re: Red Oak Leaves - 08/10/21 06:21 PM

Mine has been dropping leaves for a while now, a few dead ones now. but the tree looks good .
Posted By: wytex

Re: Red Oak Leaves - 08/24/21 08:10 PM

Are the leaves turning a color before they drop, yellow, or are they brown ? Or are they dropping green leaves?

Re: Red Oak Leaves - 08/24/21 09:10 PM

They were green. The dropping has stopped compared to what was occuring back in June.
© 2021 Texas Fishing Forum