Texas Fishing Forum

Patio Cover Issue

Posted By: lakeforkfisherman

Patio Cover Issue - 11/20/20 01:04 PM

Ideally, I want 1” insulated panels to replace old aluminum patio cover. All I can find is 3” structural- won’t work.

Option 2 - Adhere 1” Foamular to new metal roofing material. Foil side down, then spray paint. Haven’t solved for how to cove the ends yet. Not sure this is a great solution.

Option 3 - Any ideas?

Other info
I have cross beam support on 4’ centers.
Total area is 12’6” by 20’ wide.
Why? To dampen noise from acorns falling on top of a thin metal roof.

Thank you.
Posted By: Roller22

Re: Patio Cover Issue - 11/20/20 01:27 PM

Spray foam?

They sell 1" pink Formular at HD.
https://www.homedepot.com/p/Owens-C...=REC-_-searchViewed-_-NA-_-207179253-_-N

Re: Patio Cover Issue - 11/20/20 01:28 PM

I'm not sure if it's paintable.

Re: Patio Cover Issue - 11/20/20 01:34 PM

I think I misunderstood what you were doing. You're replacing the old R panels and want new insulated panels. Sorry for the confusion.

I haven't seen anything like you are envisioning.

Re: Patio Cover Issue - 11/20/20 01:46 PM

I did find this at 1.5 inches thick. https://americanstructuralco.com/insulated-r-panels/
Posted By: butch sanders

Re: Patio Cover Issue - 11/20/20 01:53 PM

thats a lot of expense
Posted By: outdoor-addict

Re: Patio Cover Issue - 11/20/20 03:48 PM

Maybe roll on truck bed liner stuff on the exposed side to dampen the impact......
Posted By: Flip-n-go

Re: Patio Cover Issue - 11/20/20 04:56 PM

Cut the offending oak down.
Posted By: Nocona Brian

Re: Patio Cover Issue - 11/20/20 05:05 PM

Is it one of those pre-fab aluminum kits? If so you're likely going to have a hard time retrofitting anything major to the frame of it.

Man it sounds like a seasonal thing, what if you just laid some kind of outdoor carpet/turf on it and once all the acorns fall, pull it off.

Ultimate solution would be to have a GC build a wood stud structure, that's finished out on the bottom side. Either do a mod-bit torched roof or shingle if it's sloped enough.
Posted By: J.P. Greeson

Re: Patio Cover Issue - 11/20/20 05:07 PM

Post some photos. Might help with getting suggestions.

Re: Patio Cover Issue - 11/20/20 05:26 PM

Originally Posted by outdoor-addict
Maybe roll on truck bed liner stuff on the exposed side to dampen the impact......

Have thought of that. It’s on the table.

Re: Patio Cover Issue - 11/20/20 05:27 PM

Originally Posted by Flip-n-go

NOPE! IT’s a 60 year old oak. Only tree in my back yard. As much of a fit it gives me, I love it.
Posted By: CCTX

Re: Patio Cover Issue - 11/20/20 05:36 PM

Go to Tractor Supply and purchase some of those rubber horse stall mats or those commercial size fatigue resistant floor mats from HD

Cut them to fit.

Glue them down with LEXEL and screws for permanent bonding
or

those interlocking fatigue resistant flooring pieces at HD for a cheaper solution

I'll brainstorm on a temporary solution that could be easily removed.

Re: Patio Cover Issue - 11/20/20 05:55 PM

Originally Posted by lakeforkfisherman
Originally Posted by Flip-n-go

NOPE! IT’s a 60 year old oak. Only tree in my back yard. As much of a fit it gives me, I love it.

for sure this
i love my trees also

Re: Patio Cover Issue - 11/20/20 06:09 PM

Northern tool has a good price on a large rubber mat
[Linked Image]

Re: Patio Cover Issue - 11/20/20 06:12 PM

HD price for a six pack of 2X2ft interlocking rubber mats
[Linked Image]

Re: Patio Cover Issue - 11/20/20 07:01 PM

I can't think of a very good easily removable solution because Texas wind will rip away anything not adequately secured down.

One removable option:
Industrial velcro all around the perimeter of the rubber mat material and where it meets the metal roof is one option.
Then bolting it in a few key areas.
Posted By: wupbass

Re: Patio Cover Issue - 11/20/20 07:55 PM

Don't they sell that roll rubber mat/flooring at Home Depot type stores???? Big roll and you pay by foot. But..... the Rhino Lining to me sounds like the easiest option. Should hold up pretty well to the elements. Roll on and forget about it.

Re: Patio Cover Issue - 11/20/20 08:19 PM

Hmmmmmmm, the rubber mat idea has me thinking. I am wondering about the rubber shower liner you buy at HomeDepot. Comes 12’ wide I believe. I could contact cement that to the top. Won’t see it and it would dampen the acorns on impact.

Thoughts?

This forum is so great!

Re: Patio Cover Issue - 11/20/20 08:31 PM

Hmmmmmmm, the rubber mat idea has me thinking. I am wondering about the rubber shower liner you buy at HomeDepot. Comes 12’ wide I believe. I could contact cement that to the top. Won’t see it and it would dampen the acorns on impact.

Thoughts?

This forum is so great!

NOPE. That liner is expensive.

Next idea is an elastomeric roof coating. Reasonably priced and easy to put on. Just have to clean the surface REALLY well.

Thoughts?

Re: Patio Cover Issue - 11/20/20 08:32 PM

I do like that shower pan liner idea.
Shower pan liners are PVC, which will adhere slightly better than the rubber work mats and definitely adhere better than the HDPE interlocking foam mats.

LEXEL adhesive caulk (Lowes) works great for all the above.
Contact cement would work well for PVC and OK for rubber, but not stick well to HDPE.

[Linked Image]

Re: Patio Cover Issue - 11/20/20 08:34 PM

Elastomeric coating would do an OK job dampening sounds.

What about Plastisip?

[Linked Image]
Posted By: Nocona Brian

Re: Patio Cover Issue - 11/20/20 09:01 PM

I think if you go the shower pan route the sun is going to cook it within a year. I very much doubt there's any kind of UV protectant in that.

Call ABC or whatever local roofing supply store you have, and get a price on a roll of self adhesive granulated top cap. A roll will cover around 100sqft. I'd buy enough to cover 4SQ. That'd give you enough to overlap the seams. I think they'll be priced close to that shower pan stuff and it's made to go on a roof. Just have to make sure it's really really clean because if the panels aren't flat, I don't know how well anything is going to stick to it.

Re: Patio Cover Issue - 11/21/20 12:52 AM

there are no short cuts
you don't want water getting in between the foam & R-panels
all or nothing

believe me
our group has seen it all

Re: Patio Cover Issue - 11/21/20 12:52 AM

Originally Posted by NoconaBrian
I think if you go the shower pan route the sun is going to cook it within a year. I very much doubt there's any kind of UV protectant in that.

Call ABC or whatever local roofing supply store you have, and get a price on a roll of self adhesive granulated top cap. A roll will cover around 100sqft. I'd buy enough to cover 4SQ. That'd give you enough to overlap the seams. I think they'll be priced close to that shower pan stuff and it's made to go on a roof. Just have to make sure it's really really clean because if the panels aren't flat, I don't know how well anything is going to stick to it.

this is pretty accurate info

Re: Patio Cover Issue - 11/21/20 12:53 AM

elastomeric will not dampen hard noise

Re: Patio Cover Issue - 11/21/20 03:32 PM

You could grow a rapidly climbing vine up and over the patio cover.

You could use large planter pots or boxes. Insert trellis in each planter so that it reaches above the patio cover

Once the climbing vine reaches the cover height, train them to go over it.

If this is in part sun, I’d try morning glory. Soak the seeds over night and plant them now. These seeds like cold weather stratification to improve germination in the spring. They will grow rapidly starting mid spring and reach patio height by mid summer. Then they will grow across the patio cover in time for October when the acorns start to fall
It will then die in the winter and return by reseeding itself or just plant more seeds

I chose morning glory because it is a light weight vine and won’t damage the trellis or cover.

You will have a bonus of blooming flowers from mid summer through the fall.

Re: Patio Cover Issue - 11/21/20 04:08 PM

Other fast climber that does well in Texas
Wisteria

I would not plant trumpet vine, cross vine, Virginia creeper or Rangoon creeper
They will take over everything and are so aggressive and strong that they can damage structures.
Posted By: Siberman

Re: Patio Cover Issue - 11/28/20 09:26 PM

Sorry , CC . I have to disagree with the vine suggestions . I planted morning glories about 25 years ago . Birds and rodents eat the seeds then poop 'em all around the property . The seeds can last for years without germinating . Wisteria puts out new shoots from the roots . It's a beautiful vine but (like hummingbird vine) can and will grow strong enough to tear down structures .

Re: Patio Cover Issue - 11/29/20 03:55 AM

Not growing a vine. The roof pitch is very slight and vines will catch acorns, leaves and limbs causing more issues.

Here’s my final design-
The underside will be FRP glued to 1” RBoard.
The top will be 24” 5V Crimp metal panels glued to the RBoard and screwed through to the aluminum framing.
Will do this over Christmas.

Thanks all for your suggestions.
Posted By: hopalong

Re: Patio Cover Issue - 12/12/20 05:15 PM

would be a lot easier to have Jcarring come spray it like they did the ranch.

probably a one day deal for no bigger than it is.

if he can't do it, go to lowes or home depot or wal mart and get a 5 gal. can of roll on https://i5.walmartimages.com/asr/a9...h=612&odnHeight=612&odnBg=ffffff

white so it stays cool, roll on 3 or 4 heavy coats and call it done. I used this on the trailer at fork and it has lasted over 8 yrs. now with not a single worry.

[Linked Image]
Posted By: wyliepirate

Re: Patio Cover Issue - 12/12/20 08:46 PM

Let us know how it goes. Hope it turns out good.

Re: Patio Cover Issue - 12/14/20 04:48 PM

Not growing a vine. The roof pitch is very slight and vines will catch acorns, leaves and limbs causing more issues.

Here’s my final design-
The underside will be FRP glued to 1” RBoard.
The top will be 24” 5V Crimp metal panels glued to the RBoard and screwed through to the aluminum framing.
Will do this over Christmas.

Thanks all for your suggestions.

Nope- can’t do this. Concerns about the foam losing grip with the film.

I am leaning heavily toward Hop’s suggestion. Will do several heavy coats of a rubberized coating on top to dampening the acorn sounds. It won’t stop them, but it will be better than just thin metal.

Re: Patio Cover Issue - 12/29/20 12:45 PM

New patio cover panels are on. Waiting on some nice weather days to roll on GAF base Coat and then several layers of GAF Top Coat. That should be good enough to dampen the acorn noise. The thicker gauge galvalum is already a little better than the thin aluminum that was there before. Will post a couple of pics when I get one of the new setup. Thanks!
Posted By: hopalong

Re: Patio Cover Issue - 12/29/20 02:56 PM

thumb

Re: Patio Cover Issue - 12/30/20 03:14 AM

BEFORE:
[Linked Image]

AFTER:
[Linked Image]
Posted By: Derek 🐝

Re: Patio Cover Issue - 12/30/20 03:32 AM

Looks good. Interesting floor mat. Not that there is anything wrong with that.

Re: Patio Cover Issue - 12/30/20 03:49 AM

Originally Posted by Derek 🐝
Looks good. Interesting floor mat. Not that there is anything wrong with that.

roflmao That’s my wife’s doins.
Posted By: Bob Davis

Re: Patio Cover Issue - 12/30/20 03:42 PM

Nice work!
© 2024 Texas Fishing Forum