Texas Fishing Forum

Tomato’s

Posted By: tricky

Tomato’s - 06/06/20 12:17 AM

A while back a neighbor gave me some Tomato plants. 4 in total. I put them in cages and they are about 4 foot tall. My problem is they are blooming like crazy but not getting hardly any Tomatoes. Am I watering too
much or not enough maybe? Haven’t tried to grow any in a long time. Any advise would be appreciated.
Posted By: olefisher

Re: Tomato’s - 06/06/20 01:44 AM

Well the problem going forward is the hot temps. Once it is mid 90 they will not set fruit bolt
Posted By: Snakeyes711

Re: Tomato’s - 06/06/20 01:45 AM

Smack the plants with a stick to help distribute the pollen on the blossoms .Usually the wind does that for you but they might not have gotten enough wind.Dont smack them hard enough to damage the plant though. Better hurry,soon the Texas heat will stop the plants from setting blossoms and fruit. Then they wont set fruit again till late September.

Re: Tomato’s - 06/06/20 07:36 PM

Thanks guys. I am obviously a rookie
Posted By: David Welcher

Re: Tomato’s - 06/07/20 04:27 PM

You can also take a small paint brush and dob the flowers, that will also get your cross pollination done, It sounds like a pain in the rear but you only have 4 plants it wouldn't take you that long.
Posted By: crapyetr

Re: Tomato’s - 06/07/20 05:14 PM

i shake my mater cages everytime i go 2 the gard...pikt my 1st improved porter 2dy...got lots of green clusters and quite a few celebrities...cukes r producing,,,finally...corn orta b ready perty soon
Posted By: RedRanger

Re: Tomato’s - 06/08/20 01:22 PM

I used to thump my plants to make them produce. Unless they are cherry tomatoes it probably too late with our high temps.

Cherry tomatoes grow good now and so do peppers.
Posted By: Derek 🐝

Re: Tomato’s - 06/09/20 01:23 PM

I use a cheap electric toothbrush. Put it behind the bloom cluster and let it rip for a couple seconds. Tricky are you growing them in a pot, in ground, raised bed. etc..?

Re: Tomato’s - 06/23/20 11:33 PM

Got them in the ground
© 2024 Texas Fishing Forum