Texas Fishing Forum

Phase 1- Planting Pecan Trees from seedlings

Posted By: David Welcher

Phase 1- Planting Pecan Trees from seedlings - 05/13/20 02:40 AM

So I've been thinking about replacing my Peach trees as they start to fade off. A peach tree will generally last a maximum of 20 years. I've been looking for some pecan trees and think I could plant 50 throughout my property. I've been looking around and have yet to find anything cheaper than $50. So I'm gonna start growing my own from seedlings which will take longer, but I'll have control out of what I want to grow. I got a few pounds from a pecan orchard out of San Saba and a few pounds from a pecan farm in Georgia. I'm a little late in the year in getting started but I'll document it here as it progresses. Phase 1 consists of selecting the nuts and putting them in a plastic bag with holes in them, putting a wet paper towel in with them and set them in the garage refrigerator for 30 to 60 days. I'm going to plant them July 4th weekend, that will give them around 50 days for tricking them into thinking they are in a winter slumber. I'll start with 100 Texas Pecans and 100 Georgia Pecans as I'll have to graft them next year. These Georgia Pecans are huge. [Linked Image]
Posted By: Derek 🐝

Re: Phase 1- Planting Pecan Trees from seedlings - 05/13/20 02:59 PM

Nice! Interested on the updates. What do you think your seed to first harvest time frame is?
Posted By: Snakeyes711

Re: Phase 1- Planting Pecan Trees from seedlings - 05/13/20 03:30 PM

I didn't think pecans come true to seed?
Posted By: Perchy Perch

Re: Phase 1- Planting Pecan Trees from seedlings - 05/13/20 05:28 PM

Ty Ty Nursery (GA) just ended a 50% off sale on their pecan trees. They price according to how old/tall the tree is. If the price is right for you, maybe shoot them an email to see if they'd still still give you the 50% off.
Posted By: Roller22

Re: Phase 1- Planting Pecan Trees from seedlings - 05/14/20 01:38 AM

Bare root Pecan tree planting

Re: Phase 1- Planting Pecan Trees from seedlings - 05/14/20 02:01 PM

Originally Posted by Derek 🐝
Nice! Interested on the updates. What do you think your seed to first harvest time frame is?

They say 10 to 15 years, which will be in line with when my peach trees should be gone.

Re: Phase 1- Planting Pecan Trees from seedlings - 05/14/20 02:21 PM

Originally Posted by Perchy Perch
Ty Ty Nursery (GA) just ended a 50% off sale on their pecan trees. They price according to how old/tall the tree is. If the price is right for you, maybe shoot them an email to see if they'd still still give you the 50% off.

That was a good deal, I'll try mine this year and if they fail I'll jump in early next year and get what doesn't come thru.
© 2024 Texas Fishing Forum