Texas Fishing Forum

Bumpy/rough lawn

Posted By: I-35 North

Bumpy/rough lawn - 04/27/20 08:15 AM

New lawn, builders threw down sod without smoothing out the dirt first. What is my best option on getting my lawn smoothed out? I've heard rolling it might work, but I have dark clay. I've heard to aerate it and bring in sand. Learn me on what I should do. TIA!
Posted By: patriot07

Re: Bumpy/rough lawn - 04/27/20 10:42 AM

I've also heard of aerate and bring in sand would work.

Our yard was bumpy when we first moved in and it eventually kind of "smoothed out" after years of rains & mowers running over it. I have gotten the compost/topsoil mix a couple times from the local landscaping supply yard and filled in the low spots as well.

But I'd give it a year to naturally even out - JMHO

Re: Bumpy/rough lawn - 04/27/20 07:05 PM

Yessir, I thought about that along the way...wondered if some of that would smooth out naturally over time. I appreciate your input!
Posted By: Flippin-Out

Re: Bumpy/rough lawn - 04/27/20 08:03 PM

You might check if you can rent a lawn roller. Many of them fill with water to add weight, so it's not hard to get one home and return it if you find someone who rents them. You can tow it behind a lawn mower. If you give that a try, pick a time after several rains when the ground is softer - it will level out best then under the weight of the roller. Yes, it will settle on its own over time too.
Posted By: Roller22

Re: Bumpy/rough lawn - 05/02/20 01:04 AM

Go get a load of 50/50 or 60/40 compost and spread a thin (1 inch) layer across the top. Water in as usual then do the same thing this fall and again next spring.

There are no nutrients in the soil they placed the sod on so your grass will never get thick and lush without added material. I've done this for several clients and it works wonders.
Posted By: WAWI

Re: Bumpy/rough lawn - 05/02/20 01:33 AM

Originally Posted by Roller22
Go get a load of 50/50 or 60/40 compost and spread a thin (1 inch) layer across the top. Water in as usual then do the same thing this fall and again next spring.

There are no nutrients in the soil they placed the sod on so your grass will never get thick and lush without added material. I've done this for several clients and it works wonders.

I know a guy who had his sanded heavily, came out great

Re: Bumpy/rough lawn - 05/04/20 05:24 AM

Roller - any rock/grass type of place will carry this, I'm assuming?

Thanks to everyone for their input!
Posted By: Trickster

Re: Bumpy/rough lawn - 05/04/20 09:47 PM

Originally Posted by WAWI

Where do you get this type of material? My lawn is old and so uneven and bumpy its a pain to mow.

Re: Bumpy/rough lawn - 05/07/20 02:12 AM

Living Earth should have a blend. I get Dyno Dirt from the Denton Solid Waste and Recycling. Alpine Materials in Southlake has a great Organic Compost. Ft. Worth Grass and Stone of 35W at Alliance has a good 60/40 blend.
Posted By: gander

Re: Bumpy/rough lawn - 05/09/20 02:17 PM

Originally Posted by Trickster
Originally Posted by WAWI

Where do you get this type of material? My lawn is old and so uneven and bumpy its a pain to mow.
Silver Creek materials in Ft Worth might be able to fix you up
Posted By: jcanon

Re: Bumpy/rough lawn - 05/13/20 05:42 PM

Try to roll it first. They should have when they did it. It'll smooth out the edges about. Then after that, fill in with sand mix as needed
Posted By: bloo_rainger

Re: Bumpy/rough lawn - 05/15/20 11:45 PM

So

What does the mix consist of?

Re: Bumpy/rough lawn - 05/16/20 12:25 AM

Originally Posted by bloo_rainger
So

What does the mix consist of?

If you're speaking of the compost mix, it's a top soil/compost mixture at the ratio given. Dyno Dirt from Denton is the best I've used. They have a specific mixture they use to make it.

This is from their website. "This nutrient-rich compost is ideal for lawns, flower and vegetable gardens, and trees and shrubs. Dyno Dirt meets all Texas Commission on Environmental Quality requirements for uncontrolled use as a soil conditioner resulting in the production of superior-quality compost, which is carefully processed to maintain excellent soil building attributes and a remarkable abundance of beneficial microorganisms. For best results, mix one to two inches of Dyno Dirt with the top six to eight inches of existing soil. For potting, this product should be blended with soil or other materials to achieve a 50/50 mix."
Posted By: BCBassCat

Re: Bumpy/rough lawn - 05/16/20 02:26 PM

Bought a yard and a half of DD for my back yard garden. I will be buying more for my yard. They just threw down sod. Should I mix with sand and add a top layer?

Re: Bumpy/rough lawn - 05/17/20 12:02 AM

Originally Posted by BCBassCat
Bought a yard and a half of DD for my back yard garden. I will be buying more for my yard. They just threw down sod. Should I mix with sand and add a top layer?

Mix with sand or a sandy loam.

You could use it like organic fertilizer and put down an inch in June then water it in real well. Come back with an inch in October and do the same. It will sift down through the blades of grass and help level the yard.

I normally put out a 1 inch top dressing and them mow it in. The vibration of mowing helps spread it evenly. Water each day for 4-5 days then go back to normal watering schedule. Best is to put out right before a good soaking rain like we had today.
Posted By: BCBassCat

Re: Bumpy/rough lawn - 05/17/20 12:59 AM

Originally Posted by BCBassCat

Mix with sand or a sandy loam.

You could use it like organic fertilizer and put down an inch in June then water it in real well. Come back with an inch in October and do the same. It will sift down through the blades of grass and help level the yard.

I normally put out a 1 inch top dressing and them mow it in. The vibration of mowing helps spread it evenly. Water each day for 4-5 days then go back to normal watering schedule. Best is to put out right before a good soaking rain like we had today.

Thanks Roller
© 2024 Texas Fishing Forum