Texas Fishing Forum

Clover in San Augustine

Posted By: McLovin’

Clover in San Augustine - 04/05/20 04:52 PM

I’m about to put out some fertilizer on the yard and I have some more clover in it this year than in years past.
Is there a fertilizer that anyone can recommend that will be good to help the grass but not the clover
Posted By: Roller22

Re: Clover in San Augustine - 04/05/20 05:28 PM

I've only used Bonus S on St. Augustine. I also apply peat moss each year along with following a strict pre-emergent schedule. You will fine it in the other post about pre-emergent.
Posted By: bill oxner

Re: Clover in San Augustine - 04/06/20 12:00 AM

Its my theory that a plants purpose is to reproduce. Clover is an early spring plant. Mow it early and it will come back up. Wait until it has bloomed to mow it and its all gone.
Posted By: McLovin’

Re: Clover in San Augustine - 04/06/20 05:51 PM

Thanks Roller and Ox
I’m going to give the Bonus S a shot on it
Posted By: Kingfisher196

Re: Clover in San Augustine - 04/07/20 03:13 PM

Make sure you get the bonus s in the purple bag, that's designed especially for St. Augustine.

Re: Clover in San Augustine - 04/08/20 12:47 AM

Originally Posted by Kingfisher196
Make sure you get the bonus s in the purple bag, that's designed especially for St. Augustine.

This

Re: Clover in San Augustine - 04/08/20 12:49 AM

I don't believe in "Weed N Feed" but it's the only fashion Bonus S comes in.

[Linked Image]
Posted By: Derek 🐝

Re: Clover in San Augustine - 04/08/20 01:39 AM

I'm a Bermuda guy now, but Roller22, can you expand on your app of peat moss and why? Are you using it for fungus control? App amounts and how to apply? I consider you the St. Aug TFF wizard and others here could use that knowledge/advice.
Posted By: ReelBusy

Re: Clover in San Augustine - 04/08/20 03:00 AM

Originally Posted by Mudbone
I’m about to put out some fertilizer on the yard and I have some more clover in it this year than in years past.
Is there a fertilizer that anyone can recommend that will be good to help the grass but not the clover

The clover is actually a nitrogen fixing legume. Might not like looking at it but it's good for the soil.

Clover does it all. It is a nitrogen-fixing honey plant that breaks up hard soil, suppresses weeds, prevents erosion, provides green manure, and feeds grazing livestock
Posted By: Turf Dawg

Re: Clover in San Augustine - 04/11/20 10:17 PM

Originally Posted by Derek 🐝
I'm a Bermuda guy now, but Roller22, can you expand on your app of peat moss and why? Are you using it for fungus control? App amounts and how to apply? I consider you the St. Aug TFF wizard and others here could use that knowledge/advice.

I'm pretty sure he will be using it to lower PH for take all patch

Re: Clover in San Augustine - 04/12/20 02:11 PM

Originally Posted by Turf Dawg
Originally Posted by Derek 🐝

I'm pretty sure he will be using it to lower PH for take all patch

I have a TARR problem late in the year. TARR always seems to show up in one area that doesn't drain well and peat has helped.

This fact sheet is a good one to have on hand when dealing with finicky St. Augustine.

TARR Fact Sheet
Posted By: heyblue

Re: Clover in San Augustine - 05/07/20 09:37 PM

What broadleaf weed killer concentrate would you recommend ? I tried Atrazine St. Augustine Weed Killer but it didn't work very good.It is a St. Augustine lawn.
Posted By: Derek 🐝

Re: Clover in San Augustine - 05/07/20 11:40 PM

Celsius WG
Posted By: BLKJCK224

Re: Clover in San Augustine - 05/15/20 04:14 PM

I'd just leave it alone. In another few weeks it will be getting hotter & it will go dormant until next Spring. I have a St. Augustine / bermuda mix (God's choice) yard & every time I have used herbicides it only shocks my grass & it looks like chit most of the Summer. The only way to officially get rid of the clover that I have (purple flowers) is to dig each pod up by the big white seed, or it will just keep coming back up.
© 2024 Texas Fishing Forum