Texas Fishing Forum

19 Pallets of New Zoysa Sod

Posted By: VIP Fishing

19 Pallets of New Zoysa Sod - 07/23/19 02:56 PM

I just had 19 pallets of Zoysa sod laid in my yard about two weeks ago.
What I can not believe are how many weeds are already all over the place. All kinds of weeds.
Long thin weeds, short thick weeds, Dallis grass. everywhere.
I can pull 100 weeds and 500 more show up the next day. Since I just had it laid two weeks ago, all I have done is water water water.

Any recommendations? I thought Zoysa grass kept weeds out really good??

Please help!
Posted By: SgtDag

Re: 19 Pallets of New Zoysa Sod - 07/23/19 03:55 PM

Was this a new construction? How was the ground prepped? Was there grass there before or was it a field?
Posted By: TCK73

Re: 19 Pallets of New Zoysa Sod - 07/23/19 04:35 PM

Question- What do you experienced guys do to prep the ground when putting in a new lawn that was previously a field with a good stand of Broadleafs and Johnsongrass?
Posted By: VIP Fishing

Re: 19 Pallets of New Zoysa Sod - 07/23/19 05:19 PM

My yard was regraded last October. Then fresh sand brought in .I spread rye seed to have erosion control during the winter.
A couple weeks ago a crew came out tilled up the entire yard, installed a new sprinkler, rakes everything smooth and laid the sod.
Posted By: outfishdya

Re: 19 Pallets of New Zoysa Sod - 07/24/19 04:01 AM

My wife's grandmother had zoysa planted in between a house with Bermuda and a house with st Augustine. 5 years later, the Bermuda blended with it and st Augustine completely took over.
Posted By: donothin

Re: 19 Pallets of New Zoysa Sod - 07/24/19 11:57 AM

I have zoy and love it, but somehow had a sprig of a really fine bermuda in one pallet. It is slowly spreading and pushing zoy back. It would be good, but the runners grow much faster and requires edging more often which I hate.
Posted By: Jman

Re: 19 Pallets of New Zoysa Sod - 07/29/19 09:07 AM

Originally Posted by VIP Fishing
My yard was regraded last October. Then fresh sand brought in .I spread rye seed to have erosion control during the winter.
A couple weeks ago a crew came out tilled up the entire yard, installed a new sprinkler, rakes everything smooth and laid the sod.

That sounds like a nice job for someone.

I don’t understand the sand however. I see others doing it but I would only recommend a good quality select fill with compost that would have a sand component to it.

No telling what happened or where the seeds all came from. Sticking the water to it also benefits the weeds. But you are correct that once established it is one of the best varieties at natural weed control.

I’d recommend just hitting it on a consistent basis with any type of commercial weed control. I’d stay away from anything you’d buy at the big box stores and go where the contractor s go.
Posted By: COFF

Re: 19 Pallets of New Zoysa Sod - 07/29/19 04:08 PM

Originally Posted by Jman
Originally Posted by VIP Fishing

That sounds like a nice job for someone.

I don’t understand the sand however. I see others doing it but I would only recommend a good quality select fill with compost that would have a sand component to it.

No telling what happened or where the seeds all came from. Sticking the water to it also benefits the weeds. But you are correct that once established it is one of the best varieties at natural weed control.

I’d recommend just hitting it on a consistent basis with any type of commercial weed control. I’d stay away from anything you’d buy at the big box stores and go where the contractor s go.

Where do the contractors go? I've long been convinced that the big box store are not selling the products I really want, I just don't know where else to look.

Re: 19 Pallets of New Zoysa Sod - 07/29/19 07:28 PM

You're in Carrollton so I'd hit up Site One off of 35E.

They'll have all of the different treatments you could want and would take the time to discuss what works best for your application.

Buy good tools and application equipment - it is worth the extra cost.
Posted By: Bruce's

Re: 19 Pallets of New Zoysa Sod - 07/29/19 07:35 PM

I dont see the weeds growing threw a square of sod in two week. I would suspect they were already there.
I hate seeing anyone use a weed control on new sod. . I personally keep it mowed and treat in fall.
Posted By: Tiltman

Re: 19 Pallets of New Zoysa Sod - 07/29/19 07:59 PM

not to hijack the thread but we put in some zoysia plugs to help some spots where bermuda was struggling. How long does it take to start spreading?

Re: 19 Pallets of New Zoysa Sod - 07/30/19 02:54 AM

It spreads VERY slowly. Nothing like Bermuda or st Augustine
Posted By: Roller22

Re: 19 Pallets of New Zoysa Sod - 08/04/19 03:31 PM

VIP if it was tilled and weed seeds blew in on the newly tilled soil, they might be germinating through the sod. I was always told if you till be ready for any seed that falls on the newly tilled soil to germinate due to the fact you are watering your new sod right along with watering them. This was from an old guy who had put down 1,000's of pallets of sod. His advice was to kill the area, apply 1-2 inches of compost and lay the sod.

I just put in 18 pallets of St. Augustine back in May for a client and followed his suggestion. Within a month the grass was beautiful and very few weeds. This was an open yard next to a field so there were several varieties of weeds and grass.

If I have a client that wants a yard tilled and raked, we immediately put down compost and sod the same day to try and prevent wild seeds from blowing onto the newly tilled dirt.

Best bet now is to get on a good pre-emergent regimen and fertilizer. Stay on it and within a couple of years you will be good to go. I know that sounds like a long time but the only alternative is lots of spraying of herbicides.

This is my .02 cents and I only post because this has worked for me and my clients.
© 2024 Texas Fishing Forum