Texas Fishing Forum

Broken Garage Door Spring

Posted By: hallfns

Broken Garage Door Spring - 07/02/19 10:14 AM

I need to clean out the garage so I can have a repair man out but I can't open it.
I believe I have it unhooked from everything any Ideas? It won't budge!
Posted By: Oldrabbit

Re: Broken Garage Door Spring - 07/03/19 04:45 PM

When mine broke I had my wife press the wall switch and I lifted like heck to help it open. Mine is a double spring, if yours is a single you will have to pick up most of the weight to help the opener. Good luck.
Posted By: COFF

Re: Broken Garage Door Spring - 07/03/19 05:52 PM

One or more of the rollers has probably jumped the tracks. If this is the case, messing with it yourself will just make it worse. That has been my personal experience anyway. Wait for the pro.
Posted By: lowew79

Re: Broken Garage Door Spring - 07/03/19 09:19 PM

I wouldn't touch it man, if that thing is under tension it could literally kill you if you don't know exactly what you are doing. Call a pro, a insured pro, my .02$
Posted By: Allison1

Re: Broken Garage Door Spring - 07/04/19 11:05 AM

Your spring is broke so the whole weight of the door makes it like a big dead weight.

All he needs is to have the inside next to the door clear enough to put a step ladder.
Posted By: hallfns

Re: Broken Garage Door Spring - 07/04/19 02:06 PM

Thanks to all of you!
Posted By: machoblanco61

Re: Broken Garage Door Spring - 01/04/20 02:12 AM

Call a pro!
Posted By: DanDaBald

Re: Broken Garage Door Spring - 01/04/20 11:52 AM

Call a pro . . . .

Back about 30 years ago a co-worker was home alone with a 5-year old and tried to replace a broken spring. No youtube, he figured "hey - I'm a Field Engineer for a computer company, I can figure it out."

Right hand mangled, he _drove_ himself and the 5-year old to the ER.

Lost 3 fingers and 80% of the use of the hand.

Call a PRO !
Posted By: JesseX

Re: Broken Garage Door Spring - 01/05/20 11:45 AM

When I had my spring replaced with double springs guy told me to spray some WD-40 on them every now and then. Will extend the life of the springs. Just sayin what he said. This threads reminds me I need to do that.
Posted By: crapyetr

Re: Broken Garage Door Spring - 01/05/20 12:36 PM

yep, mine broke in G'twn that he told me to do the same thing...so i spray mine with wd-40 every other month...but especially in COLD weather...it contracts
Posted By: SgtDag

Re: Broken Garage Door Spring - 01/06/20 12:30 AM

Guys!!! Really? This was several months ago
Posted By: DanDaBald

Re: Broken Garage Door Spring - 01/06/20 03:47 AM

Gets kinda quiet in here some times, new folks need to be included in this stuff too . . . .
Posted By: Nickbyrd

Re: Broken Garage Door Spring - 01/06/20 11:10 PM

I know a guy...
Posted By: Ranger 177

Re: Broken Garage Door Spring - 01/14/20 03:14 AM

Originally Posted by lowew79
I wouldn't touch it man, if that thing is under tension it could literally kill you if you don't know exactly what you are doing. Call a pro, a insured pro, my .02$

Solid reply. The tension on one of those springs is incredible. He can hurt you
Posted By: Nickbyrd

Re: Broken Garage Door Spring - 01/15/20 02:46 AM

Originally Posted by Ranger 177
Originally Posted by lowew79

Solid reply. The tension on one of those springs is incredible. He can hurt you

Yup there some killers if not that hand/finger breakers for sure .
© 2024 Texas Fishing Forum