Texas Fishing Forum

best tomato for the heat

Posted By: 30ft jon boat

best tomato for the heat - 06/23/19 10:02 PM

I may or may not have been intoxicated when i fertilized my tomato's . so now they are all dead,what would you recommend to plant ?
Posted By: TCK73

Re: best tomato for the heat - 06/23/19 10:58 PM

Homestead 24 and Celebrity do well in heat, but I would bet they wouldn't produce until fall if planted now.
Posted By: pop r

Re: best tomato for the heat - 06/24/19 01:26 AM

Celebrity is the only ones I plant besides Cherry tomato's. They have done very well this summer.
Posted By: Snakeyes711

Re: best tomato for the heat - 06/24/19 03:29 AM

Even my cherry tomatoes stop setting fruit about mid-july. They start setting fruit again in late September but have trouble turning red before the first freeze. Probably something to do with the reduced amount of sunlight in the fall.
Posted By: bill oxner

Re: best tomato for the heat - 06/24/19 12:30 PM

Originally Posted by pop r
Celebrity is the only ones I plant besides Cherry tomato's. They have done very well this summer.

I only plant celebrity tomatoes. I mostly use my tomatoes for sandwiches and salads. I don't have the patients to deal with cherry tomatoes.
Posted By: crapyetr

Re: best tomato for the heat - 06/24/19 03:22 PM

celebrity on the left & center...porter on the right

[Linked Image]
Posted By: jackiekennedyfishingguide

Re: best tomato for the heat - 06/25/19 11:09 AM

Sun Gold is a small yellow tomato(yes a cherry size) and starts early and sets fruit and ripens until frost. 2 plants are ample for two people and you can't keep em all eat but they are a wonderful sweet tomato.
Posted By: Derek 🐝

Re: best tomato for the heat - 06/25/19 02:35 PM

I wouldn't worry about heat varieties now. You would want to plant those in the spring. You want to start planting fall tomatoes now. Texas A&M explains the math somewhere on their Ag site but I couldn't locate it on a quick search before posting, but I'll look again later. But this is the jest of it.

Let's take Celebrity as an example. It's a 65 day tomato. 65 days from July 1st. is Sept 4th. Avg temps start to go down and the tomatoes aren't under the heat stress and start to produce. You get to harvest Sept-Early/Mid Nov. All this will change some depending on actual temps but gives you a basic idea,

Re: best tomato for the heat - 06/25/19 03:40 PM

Neil lays it out well.

https://neilsperry.com/2016/06/fall-tomatoes-start-now/
Posted By: bill oxner

Re: best tomato for the heat - 06/25/19 04:15 PM

I cut way back this year. I only put in 6 plants. They were done a few weeks back. I looked and saw that a couple had stared a second growth. I don't expect the quality that I first got. My they won't ripen. Take a peek.

[Linked Image]

[Linked Image]
Posted By: crapyetr

Re: best tomato for the heat - 06/25/19 05:12 PM

i'm fixin' 2 pull a bunch of Porters and make hot sauce...i transplanted 1 from my wife's flowerbed and it looks good...just can't beat Porters...huh Derek~~~???~~~
Posted By: Snakeyes711

Re: best tomato for the heat - 06/25/19 07:43 PM

Originally Posted by Derek 🐝

Let's take Celebrity as an example. It's a 65 day tomato. 65 days from July 1st. is Sept 4th. Avg temps start to go down and the tomatoes aren't under the heat stress and start to produce. You get to harvest Sept-Early/Mid Nov. All this will change some depending on actual temps but gives you a basic idea,

That hasn't been my experience. Days start getting shorter on june 27,so you're dealing with reduced sunlight. But temperatures keep climbing until august 10. Most of my plants completely stop all growth mid-july thru mid-sept. Planting tomato seeds on july 1 and eating ripe ones on sept 4? Noah Fence but I'd have to see that to believe it.

Re: best tomato for the heat - 06/25/19 08:06 PM

Yeah I don't plant seed this time of year. I plant clones or purchased plants. I did it with some Porters a couple years ago or so and did good. I'll clone some of my Viva Italia's tonight and see how they do the rest of the year.
Posted By: B-rader

Re: best tomato for the heat - 06/25/19 09:52 PM

I'm gonna go with none
Posted By: Urban Fisher

Re: best tomato for the heat - 06/26/19 01:39 AM

Indoor grown tomatoes. They seem to handle the outside heat just fine.

Re: best tomato for the heat - 06/26/19 02:26 AM

Got the clones started. Went with some Viva suckers. Going to pull up the Chico III's and replace them with these. Not impressed with the Chico's. Put one clone in a clear dixie cup to track the root progress.

[Linked Image]
Posted By: B-rader

Re: best tomato for the heat - 06/26/19 10:46 PM

Indoors like a high tunnel?
© 2024 Texas Fishing Forum