Texas Fishing Forum

another pre-emergent questions

Posted By: jwcromer

another pre-emergent questions - 01/16/19 11:38 PM

when is the correct time in the spring and in the fall to put down a pre emergent? I live in N.R Hills 76180 area
Posted By: crapyetr

Re: another pre-emergent questions - 01/17/19 12:37 AM

i used to put simizine down every October / February...i now have Zoysia grass...don't need pre emergent with it
Posted By: Derek 🐝

Re: another pre-emergent questions - 01/17/19 12:57 AM

I'm going with .37% active ingredient Prodiamine late February/Early March depending on temps. Then Dimension late spring/early summer. And more Prodiamine later this season. I'll try to link a google drive pdf here that explains the time and differences of the P&D. If the link doesn't work PM me and I'll email it to you.

https://drive.google.com/file/d/1gZ...?mc_cid=fef1bcaeaf&mc_eid=5f3620f6ae

Re: another pre-emergent questions - 01/17/19 03:41 AM

Posted By: RedRanger

Re: another pre-emergent questions - 01/17/19 11:35 AM

My lawn care company put it down Friday, I think they do two treatments in the winter time, they did one last month as well.
Posted By: butch sanders

Re: another pre-emergent questions - 01/18/19 01:01 AM

what about Scotts Bonus S ?

Re: another pre-emergent questions - 01/18/19 01:29 AM

Originally Posted by butch sanders

That's a post emergent. You would apply that once the grass and weeds are growing to kill active growing weeds. Pre emergent blocks the weed seeds from germinating/growing in the first place. Besides using a chemical pre emergent I am pretty organic other than that, So I don't keep real up to date on the latest chemical fertilizers and weed killers post emergence. But pretty much every well known lawn guy does not recommend weed and feeds. Including Neil Sperry. They recommend separate treatments.
Posted By: Der Vorsteher

Re: another pre-emergent questions - 01/18/19 01:33 AM

I put pre emergent down every month starting in October,, never had any issues. Stop once spring areives.
Posted By: RedRanger

Re: another pre-emergent questions - 01/18/19 11:24 AM

Originally Posted by butch sanders

When I lived in Irving I had St Augustine, it was specific for St Augustine, it was outstanding to use.

I kept my yard looking like a well manicured putting green, I moved to Frisco with some type of Bermuda or Bermuda mixture and the house had been sitting empty for almost one year, the back yard grass was as tall as the wooden fence, I tried my best to weed and feed and finally gave up and hired a lawn service, now my grass is back to looking like a champ

Re: another pre-emergent questions - 01/18/19 01:29 PM

yeah
thats the problem i have Bermuda St. Augustine mix
Posted By: 44 Diesel

Re: another pre-emergent questions - 01/19/19 03:44 AM

from the man himself

https://neilsperry.com/2013/01/what-is-the-right-time-for-preemergents/

Re: another pre-emergent questions - 01/20/19 02:47 AM

Originally Posted by 44 Diesel

yes he is
he needs to update his temperature data though
Posted By: T Bird

Re: another pre-emergent questions - 01/20/19 03:15 PM

I got this schedule here on TFF a few years back and it works well for me here in Centex.

Write these dates down:

Feb 15 - pre-emergent
April 15- fertilize
May 15- pre-emergent
June 15- fertilize
July 1- treat for grubs
Sept 15- pre-emergent
Oct 15- fertilize

Do the prescribed application on or a week before the dates listed. I also have St. Augustine and since following this regiment, it is as thick as carpet. I can't take credit for the dates, it is from Neil Skerry. Scotts Halts Crab Grass and Grassy Weed Preventer is the pre-emergent I use and Bonus S is the fertilizer I use on my St. Augustine. Use GrubX for treating grubs.

Re: another pre-emergent questions - 01/20/19 03:53 PM

Originally Posted by T Bird
I got this schedule here on TFF a few years back and it works well for me here in Centex.

Write these dates down:

Feb 15 - pre-emergent
April 15- fertilize
May 15- pre-emergent
June 15- fertilize
July 1- treat for grubs
Sept 15- pre-emergent
Oct 15- fertilize

Do the prescribed application on or a week before the dates listed. I also have St. Augustine and since following this regiment, it is as thick as carpet. I can't take credit for the dates, it is from Neil Skerry. Scotts Halts Crab Grass and Grassy Weed Preventer is the pre-emergent I use and Bonus S is the fertilizer I use on my St. Augustine. Use GrubX for treating grubs.

nice
Posted By: bloo_rainger

Re: another pre-emergent questions - 01/20/19 10:29 PM

I have pre emerging weeds already coming out.
Posted By: WAWI

Re: another pre-emergent questions - 01/21/19 03:38 AM

Originally Posted by bloo_rainger
I have pre emerging weeds already coming out.

No you dont, you have post emergent weeds. Should have treated in fall.
Posted By: Hancock

Re: another pre-emergent questions - 01/21/19 01:49 PM

I just can't bring myself to lay down that many chemicals in the yard.
Posted By: retdbasser

Re: another pre-emergent questions - 01/21/19 02:22 PM

Originally Posted by Hancock
I just can't bring myself to lay down that many chemicals in the yard.

I can't either. +1
Posted By: Roller22

Re: another pre-emergent questions - 01/25/19 01:08 PM

Write these dates down:

Feb 15 - pre-emergent
April 15- fertilize
May 15- pre-emergent
June 15- fertilize
July 1- treat for grubs
Sept 15- pre-emergent
Oct 15- fertilize

Do the prescribed application on or a week before the dates listed. I also have St. Augustine and since following this regiment, it is as thick as carpet. I can't take credit for the dates, it is from Neil Sperry. Scotts Halts Crab Grass and Grassy Weed Preventer is the pre-emergent I use and Bonus S is the fertilizer I use on my St. Augustine. Use GrubX for treating grubs.

Thank you T bird for reposting this. I was about to rewrite it again.

Butch if you have a mix of Bermuda and St. Augustine, and you want St. Augustine, use Bonus S as your fertilizer and find a good pre-emergent. If you want Bermuda, use Scotts Turf Builder Southern for fertilizer. St. Augustine likes ot weather and water so you are fore warned. Bermuda will withstand drought conditions better if you are not into paying to water your lawn.

Stay away from the weed n feed fertilizer. Just follow the schedule above.
[Linked Image]
Posted By: 1WithTXFish

Re: another pre-emergent questions - 01/25/19 01:58 PM

Has anyone ever bought from Ewing Irrigation off Davis in NRH who is not a professional? My friend who has a sprinkler service told me that they have better slip fittings to fix irrigation leaks but also noticed that they carry some pretty specific lawn care supplies as well. I was going to make the trip but was not sure if they sold to the public.
Posted By: Bruce's Guide Service

Re: another pre-emergent questions - 01/25/19 02:06 PM

Originally Posted by 1WithTXFish
Has anyone ever bought from Ewing Irrigation off Davis in NRH who is not a professional? My friend who has a sprinkler service told me that they have better slip fittings to fix irrigation leaks but also noticed that they carry some pretty specific lawn care supplies as well. I was going to make the trip but was not sure if they sold to the public.

They will sell to anyone. There are products that require a applicants lic
Posted By: 1WithTXFish

Re: another pre-emergent questions - 01/25/19 02:09 PM

I called and they sell to the public.
Posted By: Ranger Z21

Re: another pre-emergent questions - 01/25/19 07:34 PM

Originally Posted by Roller22

Write these dates down:

Feb 15 - pre-emergent
April 15- fertilize
May 15- pre-emergent
June 15- fertilize
July 1- treat for grubs
Sept 15- pre-emergent
Oct 15- fertilize

Do the prescribed application on or a week before the dates listed. I also have St. Augustine and since following this regiment, it is as thick as carpet. I can't take credit for the dates, it is from Neil Sperry. Scotts Halts Crab Grass and Grassy Weed Preventer is the pre-emergent I use and Bonus S is the fertilizer I use on my St. Augustine. Use GrubX for treating grubs.

Thank you T bird for reposting this. I was about to rewrite it again.

Butch if you have a mix of Bermuda and St. Augustine, and you want St. Augustine, use Bonus S as your fertilizer and find a good pre-emergent. If you want Bermuda, use Scotts Turf Builder Southern for fertilizer. St. Augustine likes ot weather and water so you are fore warned. Bermuda will withstand drought conditions better if you are not into paying to water your lawn.

Stay away from the weed n feed fertilizer. Just follow the schedule above.
[Linked Image]

Hate to disagree but Bonus S and Southern are both weed and feed fertilizer. Don't use Bonus S on Bermuda and don't use Southern on St Augustine. Use plain Scotts Turf builder for fertilizer.
Posted By: Notaguide

Re: another pre-emergent questions - 01/25/19 11:19 PM

Anyone have a suggestion for pre emergent to use in a 50 gallon broadcast sprayer with booms?

Re: another pre-emergent questions - 01/26/19 12:44 AM

Liquid pre emergent are probably easier to get than granular but just not as popular for residential home owners. The product I ended up buying because of availability is Barricade with the active ingredient being .58% Prodiamine. I bought the granular, but It also comes in a liquid. I bought mine from Solutions Pets and Lawn since they had it in stock and free shipping. They also have a coupon code right now to get $5 off. givemea5 is the code.Domyownpestcontrol is another good site to check.

Re: another pre-emergent questions - 01/26/19 02:56 PM

Originally Posted by Derek 🐝
Liquid pre emergent are probably easier to get than granular but just not as popular for residential home owners. The product I ended up buying because of availability is Barricade with the active ingredient being .58% Prodiamine. I bought the granular, but It also comes in a liquid. I bought mine from Solutions Pets and Lawn since they had it in stock and free shipping. They also have a coupon code right now to get $5 off. givemea5 is the code.Domyownpestcontrol is another good site to check.

This.

Barricade in the spring and simazine in the fall.

Re: another pre-emergent questions - 01/27/19 12:22 AM

thanks men

i had to take out a pine tree about 1 year ago
the sap coming out of the roots killed a lot of my lawn

i like the mixture of the 2 grasses
& need all the grass i can keep

i will definitely use pre-emergent
& probably roll the dice with Bonus S

1 turf guy told me 1 time (life long family friend)
"Straight up fertilizer & lots of water."

Re: another pre-emergent questions - 01/27/19 04:06 AM

Scotts Turf Builder Southern for Bermuda is not a weed n feed, just a lawn food.

Unfortunately Bonus S cannot be purchased without it being a weed n feed, but it has transformed my St. Augustine. Even though it is a weed n feed, I still follow the pre-emergent schedule I posted.

This is from personal use on my lawn and lawns I've installed over the past 15 years. These are around the DFW metroplex in Zone 8.

Re: another pre-emergent questions - 01/27/19 09:39 PM

Scotts Turf Builder Southern for Bermuda is not a weed n feed, just a lawn food.

Unfortunately Bonus S cannot be purchased without it being a weed n feed, but it has transformed my St. Augustine. Even though it is a weed n feed, I still follow the pre-emergent schedule I posted.

This is from personal use on my lawn and lawns I've installed over the past 15 years. These are around the DFW metroplex in Zone 8.

Yes your correct. I got confused when you mentioned Bonus S which is a weed and feed. In my 40 years of turf management you will never get complete control without using a liquid pre emergent at least once in spring and once in the fall. I always put another app down in December and has worked over the years very well. 20 of my years were in Texas.

Re: another pre-emergent questions - 01/29/19 02:04 PM

Originally Posted by Ranger Z21

Yes your correct. I got confused when you mentioned Bonus S which is a weed and feed. In my 40 years of turf management you will never get complete control without using a liquid pre emergent at least once in spring and once in the fall. I always put another app down in December and has worked over the years very well. 20 of my years were in Texas.

Thank you, great to know about the liquid. Do you have a go to brand? Dandelions are sometimes an issue along my street. Also any advice for nut sedge? I probably need to update my applicators license.

Re: another pre-emergent questions - 01/29/19 08:27 PM

Trimec Southern and Barricade in the spring. I always did these together but two apps. One in Febuary and the second late March depending on the weather. Barricade and Trimec in the fall usually September and then first of November. I always did a Princep app in mid to late December again depending on weather. Nut grass I use either Image or the better in my opinion is Sedgehammer used to be called Manage. I always use a sticker product with all apps. Hope this helps.
Posted By: Todd™

Re: another pre-emergent questions - 01/29/19 08:37 PM

Originally Posted by jwcromer
when is the correct time in the spring and in the fall to put down a pre emergent? I live in N.R Hills 76180 area

When the soil temps average 55 is when I put down my first dose of spring pre emergent. That's usually around March 1st. I put it down in the fall when soil temps average around 70 degrees. That's usually the first couple weeks of October.

If you don't want to check soil temps then just put it down March 1st, June 1st, September 1st, and can't hurt to do one on Jan 1st. Those dates are pretty close but when it comes to weeds (crabgrass) germinating, it can happen in just a few warm days in early spring or late winter. I start checking my soil temps in mid February.
Posted By: Todd™

Re: another pre-emergent questions - 01/29/19 08:39 PM

Posted By: Turf Dawg

Re: another pre-emergent questions - 01/29/19 11:26 PM

Bonus S can be split up. It's just fert and Atrazine

Re: another pre-emergent questions - 01/30/19 12:48 AM

Originally Posted by Turf Dawg

Bonus S can be split up. It's just fert and Atrazine

Thanks Dawg

Re: another pre-emergent questions - 01/30/19 01:12 AM

great info
Posted By: greenen

Re: another pre-emergent questions - 01/31/19 07:01 PM

Originally Posted by Derek 🐝

Thanks. Ordered some Sunday and got it Wednesday.

Re: another pre-emergent questions - 02/06/19 11:01 PM

So I assume all things green in my yard currently are bad. It is a Bermuda yard. Bermuda appears to be totally dormant and with 28 degrees coming tomorrow I'm thinking it will stay that way. I just mixed round up to half strength and dosed the yard. What say you. popcorn

Re: another pre-emergent questions - 02/06/19 11:20 PM

Originally Posted by WAWI
So I assume all things green in my yard currently are bad. It is a Bermuda yard. Bermuda appears to be totally dormant and with 28 degrees coming tomorrow I'm thinking it will stay that way. I just mixed round up to half strength and dosed the yard. What say you. popcorn

Round up will kill everything weeds, grass

Re: another pre-emergent questions - 02/06/19 11:37 PM

Not supposed to kill dormant, it only works on active growing plants

Re: another pre-emergent questions - 02/07/19 12:31 AM

I would say you just did it correctly. Round up won't harm dormant turf. It will only kill anything green and growing. You might however have brown areas when your Bermuda greens up that will take a while to fill in.
Posted By: collincountytx

Re: another pre-emergent questions - 02/07/19 02:53 PM

Put down pre emergent this past weekend.
It's time.

Re: another pre-emergent questions - 02/09/19 01:22 PM

Originally Posted by collincountytx
It's time.

This and trim your rose bushes.

Re: another pre-emergent questions - 02/09/19 01:45 PM

Plan on putting mine out today with the rain chances looking good.

And I'll trim my rose bushes too. thumb
Posted By: bloo_rainger

Re: another pre-emergent questions - 02/09/19 03:53 PM

Put my Scott’s Halts down evening before the rain. Hoping for a plush lawn this year.

Re: another pre-emergent questions - 02/10/19 11:54 PM

It's time.

your soil temp is 55degs ?

Re: another pre-emergent questions - 02/11/19 02:32 PM

It's time.

your soil temp is 55degs ?

His timing is ok. He'll just put a 2nd app down sooner. I shoot for Fed 14thish. I had planned on this past weekend with the rain chances but wasn't able to. I will for sure later this week/weekend. Lets say on avg pre emergent gives you a 100 day protection. Some last longer. That's why you'll see a 90 day reap on the spring schedule. It will give you a 10 day buffer to get the 2nd app out before the 100 days. Then you're pretty well covered through summer. A lot of people will use Prodiamine(Barricade) as the first app then come back and use Dithiopyr(Dimension) as the 2nd app. Dithiopyr will provide some post emergence control of crabgrass. And that's why people use it as the 2nd app. Prodiamine sticks to the soil better than Dithiopyr and one of the reasons used as the first app since it's less likely to wash away in the spring rains.

Use whatever schedule you like just remember what day you put your first app down and plan accordingly for your 2nd app. And remember these do need to be water in with about a 1/4" of water(depending on product and label instructions)

Re: another pre-emergent questions - 02/11/19 04:11 PM

Kind of off topic but what kinda luck you have spraying 24d stuff in these temps on winter weed? Specifically trimec.

Re: another pre-emergent questions - 02/11/19 04:25 PM

Kind of off topic but what kinda luck you have spraying 24d stuff in these temps on winter weed? Specifically trimec.
winter weeds will die when the temp gets a little warmer,mow and water. in Sept put down a pre emerg for your winter weeds

Re: another pre-emergent questions - 02/11/19 07:37 PM

The only difference is it will take longer before you see the weeds dying off. It will still work just give it a little more time to do so.

Re: another pre-emergent questions - 02/11/19 07:39 PM

winter weeds will die when the temp gets a little warmer,mow and water. in Sept put down a pre emerg for your winter weeds

This will stop fall weeds not winter weeds. You need to reapply a pre in December for winter weeds and annual winter grass.

Re: another pre-emergent questions - 02/11/19 07:50 PM

The only difference is it will take longer before you see the weeds dying off. It will still work just give it a little more time to do so.

Is there a better cold weather killer. I know Celsius and quinclorac need to be warmer to kill.

Re: another pre-emergent questions - 02/11/19 08:57 PM

Not really. I would stay with the 24d. It still will work as I said but it's just quicker the warmer the temps are. If you want it quicker try to hit a warming trend of 3-4 days. Actually look for warmer nights as that will help too.

Re: another pre-emergent questions - 04/08/19 05:51 PM

I would say you just did it correctly. Round up won't harm dormant turf. It will only kill anything green and growing. You might however have brown areas when your Bermuda greens up that will take a while to fill in.

To check back on this the area I did this is outstanding, basically no weeds, crab, dallis, only burmuda filling in. I may do entire 2 acres this winter
© 2019 Texas Fishing Forum