Texas Fishing Forum

lets talk seed planters

Posted By: 30ft jon boat

lets talk seed planters - 12/30/17 11:31 PM

radish,beets,corn and greens kill me. this year i'm buying a seed planter but have no experience with them seen them online from $80-180 anybody use one?
Posted By: crapyetr

Re: lets talk seed planters - 12/30/17 11:51 PM

heck no...dig a row with the hoe...pinch a few seeds...scatter thinly...

it's the reason i built this so i wouldn't get the seeds to close together for onions/corn/beans/peas

Re: lets talk seed planters - 12/31/17 12:28 AM

crapyetr much respect for you,i now buy dixon dale onions. My rows are 125 ft long. I would rather kiss hillary than crawl around on my knees for 3 days that would cause me to be in bed for a week
Posted By: crapyetr

Re: lets talk seed planters - 12/31/17 02:05 AM

thanks for the compliment...i've spent decades gardening...that's why i have a 3 ft handle on that "plantin' machine"...no crawlin' involved...step on the top of the board and it makes the holes in the soft dirt to plant the seeds...drop in the seeds/onions/etc...

now as for kissin' hiliary, i'll take the crawlin' anytime

Posted By: Siberman

Re: lets talk seed planters - 12/31/17 03:08 AM

I just scatter the small seeds down the row and then thin them out as they grow . I think it's Gardener's Supply that has some tools for planting them individually .

I use a long-handle hoe to plant corn . Poke the butt into the dirt about 1.5" deep , drop a kernel then cover .
Posted By: feedman

Re: lets talk seed planters - 03/01/18 03:49 AM

I have the earthway push planter, it works great and is very fast. It tends to plant a little heavy so I put a little electric tape on some the holes on the seed plate. You also need to till it very well before running it. Any grass clods or tight dirt will cause you problems. I till like crazy, drag it flat, then run the planter. Can plant an acre of peas in less than an hour.

Re: lets talk seed planters - 03/06/18 05:02 PM

Originally Posted By: feedman
I have the earthway push planter, it works great and is very fast. It tends to plant a little heavy so I put a little electric tape on some the holes on the seed plate. You also need to till it very well before running it. Any grass clods or tight dirt will cause you problems. I till like crazy, drag it flat, then run the planter. Can plant an acre of peas in less than an hour.
thats what i got. workin smart not hard
© 2024 Texas Fishing Forum