Texas Fishing Forum

" A Day On The Water"..........Brady Winans......Results.....7/26

Posted By: Casey Allison

" A Day On The Water"..........Brady Winans......Results.....7/26 - 07/26/08 08:42 PM

First, Thanks to Brady Winans for doing "A Day On The Water", I know he took time out of his busy work schedule and I appreciate it.

On Saturday July 26th, I took Brady to Lake Athens witch is located approximately 5 miles east of Athens, south of FM 317 in Henderson County. The lake is 1,799 acres with a max depth of 50 feet, it was impounded in 1962. Lake Athens as you will see later is a unique lake in the sense of how it fishes, Brady really was put to the test Saturday with a lot of boat traffic and the Bass.....well you will see in this "Day On The Water"

6:10
We go to launch Brady's 21 foot Ranger, as I'm backing him down I noticed NO RODS on the deck of the boat NO TACKLE out. At this point I'm thinking he's not ready, he will take the first 30 minutes of his day getting rods ready. I get his truck parked and get onto the boat, and by this time he has already set his rods out in a strategic manner to attack his morning bite. I'm not talking about 4 or 5 rods, he has an arsenal rig up for morning bit, he has late morning rods and mid/late day rods rigged up in the locker ready to go.

He drives down the lake heading South, till he finds a Dock off a point that shallow and extends into the lake pretty far. 5 feet on top 10 feet on the sides. For the next 15 minutes Brady go through a variety of lures over the points around shallow docks with Duck Weed and Lilly Pads surrounding them. He has thrown Big Bite Top Toad, Yellow Magic, and on the third lure choice hooks up his first fish of the day, the fish shakes him off, but Brady knows he's on to something.

6:25
Within 2 cast Brady has his first fish in the boat, a 2.04 pound bass on a Chatter bait with a swimbait trailer. The fish was out away from the dock in 5 feet water. 86.7 water temp.

First Fish

Over the next hour and a half, Brady goes fishless. During that time he fished shallow docks, Bridge Pillars, Shallow Rip Rap and Duck Weed. He used T-Rig worms-H2O express CRS-Spro Fog-Strike King series 5 Crank-Strike King series 6.

[Linked Image]
[Linked Image]
[Linked Image]

Happy Fun Good Times with Brady (look at his FACE) wait till the end

7:56
While tying on a Carolina rig, He notices there BASS schooling out in 25 feet water. I will have to say we both looked at each other like what are they thinking being that far out like that. Brady quickly grabs a spook and ties it on. That would later tun out to be the DECISION of the day.

The next 35 minutes would be very productive for Brady
1.12 lb fish on a Norman Deep Little N
1.09 lb fish on Spook
2.01 lb fish on a spook
1.10 lb fish on a spook
he also had 4 other smaller fish on the spook as well.

After a trip to two deep points with timber, and shallow dock Brady moved to the dam. As we pull up there He tells me there going to be fish caught around this area, he had no IDEA how true that would turn out to be.

[Linked Image]

BRADY gives tips on Football Jig

9:46
He starts cranking dam and after no fish heading south he turns the boat around and snugs up next to the drop off, he notice some large rocks ahead and cast to them. With a sweeping motion, he sets the hook into what will turn out to be his largest fish of the day....SO FAR....a 3 pound beauty. Brady says " Theres not a dam in the world that doesn't have a fish on it.

Brady DAM (a structure to hold water in the lake) Fish

10:23
This is where the CRAZINESS starts. Brady is fishing a shallow sand bar in 8 feet of water when he notices a school of fish blow up on SMALL bait fish out in the middle of the lake right behind us. We are in 10 feet of water and the fish are in 33 feet of water. What are they doing he ask. Theres nothing out there for them to relate to except bait fish.

He sees a blow up and cast to it as soon as it hits the water WHAM a 1.14 lb bass over the next 37 minutes Brady catches 12 fish that is topped with a 2.3 lb fish. All those fish came on spooks and one on Football Jig.

As he is getting ready to leave he sees a fish blow up on bait, he quickly stops and lands a bass that can't stay off his spook

He takes a few minutes to use his Hummingbird Side Imaging unit to see if theres any Brush piles, logs, or what ever that might be holding fish in the deeper water. He does locate some brush piles but nothing major.

1:15 PM
It's been awhile since he's even felt a fish bite, he has picked apart deep brush piles, points with timber, docks shallow grass. This lake is weired theres no fish under docks there all out front in the first drop off. As he cast to a brush pile in front of a old dock I'm on the front deck preparing him for the questions I'm about to ask, I was going to ask what does he need to do to start trying to get a kicker fish. while turning on the camera settings he sets the hook on a nice bass.

3.10 pounds not bad, just need more of those he states.

[Linked Image]

Brady uses the rest of the day to catch small 1 and 2 pound schooling fish, but just can't catch that kicker.

2:06 PM
I tell Brady he has 4 minutes, he has positioned his self on the outside of a water pump in the legal section of the area, making cast to a pole in the stirred up water

ALL I SEE NEXT is a bent pole and hear " Here we go"

A 3.14 pound bass....man I thought it was bigger than that.

Brady's TOTAL SACK WEIGHT
#1......(2.04 lbs)
#2......(2.05 lbs)
#3......(3.00 lbs)
#4......(3.10 lbs)
#5......(3.14 lbs)

Total...(15.01 lbs) * A new Day On The Water Heavy Stringer Weight*

Brady REALLY NEEDS HELP......Can you say Crank Bait support group????

Thanks Brady.....You need to teach me that trick of casting under the docks...Thats just crazy. Guys he would cast it to the back of a 30 foot dock and make it go were he wanted it to.

Casey

Posted By: Trickster

Re: " A Day On The Water"..........Brady Winans......Results.....7/26 - 07/26/08 08:46 PM

Have a good one SIR!! You deserve it.

Re: " A Day On The Water"..........Brady Winans......Results.....7/26 - 07/27/08 11:03 AM

Re: " A Day On The Water"..........Brady Winans......Results.....7/26 - 07/27/08 11:03 AM

vids
Posted By: BowHuntinTX

Re: " A Day On The Water"..........Brady Winans......Results.....7/26 - 07/27/08 12:19 PM

huh? I don't see anything...

Re: " A Day On The Water"..........Brady Winans......Results.....7/26 - 07/27/08 12:23 PM

yeah I know, hang on I have a ton of video's to up load it will be up in 10 minutes.

Casey
Posted By: SkeeterRonnie

Re: " A Day On The Water"..........Brady Winans......Results.....7/26 - 07/27/08 01:41 PM

good Job Casey and Brady. Brady gets uglier every time I see him!! LOL!!!! it was extremely hot yesterday, yall did good!
Posted By: BowHuntinTX

Re: " A Day On The Water"..........Brady Winans......Results.....7/26 - 07/27/08 02:28 PM

yeah, i think he might have a crank bait problem...

Re: " A Day On The Water"..........Brady Winans......Results.....7/26 - 07/27/08 03:04 PM

I don't think he has a problem....I know he does.

He told me he had more, I think they were at home.

If you think thats crazy you should have seen him cast under dock. He must have spent months doing nothing but that.

Casey
Posted By: Mark Perry

Re: " A Day On The Water"..........Brady Winans......Results.....7/26 - 07/27/08 03:05 PM

Congrats to Brady and as always VERY nice job on the write up Casey.
Posted By: UNTbass222

Re: " A Day On The Water"..........Brady Winans......Results.....7/26 - 07/27/08 05:39 PM

Great job once again casey...really good info on that video bout cranks
Posted By: Ken A.

Re: " A Day On The Water"..........Brady Winans......Results.....7/26 - 07/27/08 05:51 PM

GOOD JOB GUYS!

Ken
Posted By: K.P

Re: " A Day On The Water"..........Brady Winans......Results.....7/26 - 07/27/08 07:59 PM

Congrats Brady on the "New" Day on the watter record. You called it. You said you would be setting a new record.

Casey, Thanks for the time and effort you put into these. Once again, you have outdone yourself and we all appreciate it.

Way to go guys! Looks like a great day
Posted By: FDR80

Re: " A Day On The Water"..........Brady Winans......Results.....7/26 - 07/27/08 08:47 PM

This is such good stuff. Real people, real fishing, real informative. Great job fellas.
Doug
Posted By: Slide_R

Re: " A Day On The Water"..........Brady Winans......Results.....7/26 - 07/27/08 09:29 PM

Solid limit, nice collection of baits, good tips, great information. Thank you Brady for sharing your knowledge and thank you Casey for bringing it to the masses. BTW Casey, your stunt reminds me of Grapevine slot fish. laugh
Posted By: ChrisWiggins

Re: " A Day On The Water"..........Brady Winans......Results.....7/26 - 07/27/08 09:36 PM

Very good job.
Posted By: flexpress

Re: " A Day On The Water"..........Brady Winans......Results.....7/26 - 07/27/08 11:09 PM

all I can say is sweet thank's for shareing...
Posted By: Trickster

Re: " A Day On The Water"..........Brady Winans......Results.....7/26 - 07/27/08 11:10 PM

Great job Brady. Casey, Thumbs UP!!
Posted By: Matt McClellan

Re: " A Day On The Water"..........Brady Winans......Results.....7/26 - 07/28/08 04:23 AM

Great report on a great little lake...Thanks!!!
Posted By: Stumpjumper14

Re: " A Day On The Water"..........Brady Winans......Results.....7/26 - 07/28/08 07:12 AM

Greatness! Thanks Casey!
Posted By: KingOutdoorsCo

Re: " A Day On The Water"..........Brady Winans......Results.....7/26 - 07/28/08 10:54 AM

Originally Posted By: mrbass24
I don't think he has a problem....I know he does.

He told me he had more, I think they were at home.

If you think thats crazy you should have seen him cast under dock. He must have spent months doing nothing but that.

Casey

Now you know why he is so good at Tawakoni.

That boy has a tackle collection that would rival BPS.

Posted By: SoCal Tom

Re: " A Day On The Water"..........Brady Winans......Results.....7/26 - 07/28/08 11:07 AM

I thought I had a few crank baits! Nice job guys!
Posted By: 921ELITE Cranker

Re: " A Day On The Water"..........Brady Winans......Results.....7/26 - 07/28/08 03:30 PM

Great job Casey!!! Your ambition and dedication to the TFF and it's members is very commendable. You obviously are ate up with the fishing bug!!!

Re: " A Day On The Water"..........Brady Winans......Results.....7/26 - 07/28/08 05:28 PM

Thanks guys,

I'm working on getting a better camera that will work better on posting the video's.

The CAM is fine, just look at the picks.

I really appreciate all you guys that put your self's out there and do these.

I have BIG THINGS planned for the "Day On The Water" write up that should take place soon.

Keep checking the TFF for a post about one of these soon.

Thanks for all your support.

Casey
Posted By: rangerjames1

Re: " A Day On The Water"..........Brady Winans......Results.....7/26 - 07/28/08 06:03 PM

Casey,
Great job. Have you considered "A Night on the Water" during the summer? It would be interesting to see how things turn out.

Re: " A Day On The Water"..........Brady Winans......Results.....7/26 - 07/28/08 06:26 PM

rangerjames1,

No I haven't, but great idea. I will start getting that in the works.

I grew up a Fighting Red Devil from Huntington, boy has Lufkin grown in the last 5-7 years. My parents still live there.

I'll be getting in touch with you soon, and thanks for the input. James

Casey
Posted By: an_average_joe

Re: " A Day On The Water"..........Brady Winans......Results.....7/26 - 07/29/08 01:46 AM

Casey great job as always - thanks for all the time you put into this, hopefully you don't make this so popular that you get a cease and decist from BASS - Brady, great job as well

I'd trade all the times I have stood at the bait demo tank at the tackle show for one of these posts...

considering the compression you have to use to make these streamable from the web I'd spend that money you have set aside for a camera on a good microphone and wind screen - that's all you need to make this a top notch web program..... bundle all the clips together with some sponsor pages inbetween and maybe you can pay an expense or two....

Ian
Posted By: Brandon Dickenson

Re: " A Day On The Water"..........Brady Winans......Results.....7/26 - 07/29/08 02:25 AM

I loved the Mark Perry reference, made me laugh

"don't Mark Perry me"

"did the big guy hang you"

so what happened casey, did mark sling a crankbait into your head

I have had that happen before, courtesy of JD sports
Posted By: Mark Perry

Re: " A Day On The Water"..........Brady Winans......Results.....7/26 - 08/25/08 02:08 PM

Originally Posted By: Jerry Springer
I loved the Mark Perry reference, made me laugh

"don't Mark Perry me"

"did the big guy hang you"

so what happened casey, did mark sling a crankbait into your head

I have had that happen before, courtesy of JD sports

It all started when I almost hooked the camraman on Honey Honey with a crankbait while filiming. It then carried over to the Honey Hole Veterans Tourney where I managed to stick Wilcox's nephew with a LVR. Then after that I basically just threatened to hook Casey every time he got mouthy which was all day.. bolt.....so now I'm branded for life and between Casey and Wilcox I'll never live it down. bang rolfmao
Posted By: 921ELITE Cranker

Re: " A Day On The Water"..........Brady Winans......Results.....7/26 - 08/25/08 04:43 PM

Mark,
Casey can call you "Big Show" all day long but now you can call him NO SHOW!!

Re: " A Day On The Water"..........Brady Winans......Results.....7/26 - 08/25/08 10:00 PM

Originally Posted By: Z21 Cranker
Mark,
Casey can call you "Big Show" all day long but now you can call him NO SHOW!!

Oh yeah, it happens to every one. Stinks it happened to me on that day.

I still can make it up at the Championship.

Casey
© 2024 Texas Fishing Forum